a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Flashcards?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Flashcards?

Postby Javizy » February 5th, 2008 8:52 am

I've decided it's about time I invested in some kanji flashcards to speed up the recognition process. I usually remember them, but for ones I haven't seen in a while or since I learnt them it takes longer than I care to admit. The question is, which flashcards are best?

Since I used Heisig's Remembering the Kanji to learn them in the first place, I was thinking maybe these Kanji Study Cards (arranged by Heisig), which come all-in-one for about £43, don't contain any romaji, and include the readings and some example words.

The set that people seem to rage about is the White Rabbit Press Japanese Kanji Flashcards, which look really good since they have everything you need to know on them. Volume 1 is on its third edition, yet there are only 2 volumes which comprise 1024 characters, so since they're the 'world's favourite kanji flashcards', what does the world do for its other 1000 or so characters?

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these, or perhaps a different set?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 6th, 2008 2:46 am

If you're doing Heisig, do like I did. Get something about the size of a shoebox, a bunch of index cards, and start penning your own. It will repay you enormously.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 6th, 2008 11:06 am

For completeness there's also the Tuttle cards.
Over the four volumes they do have the full 2000+ kanji. arranged by Grade if I remember correctly, which makes it slightly difficult to put together subsets for JLPT.
They also use romaji for some reason I don't understand. Although there does seem to be a newer edition out that may rectify this.
They are the cards most readily available in English bookshops, and although individual volumes are reasonably priced, a full set will cost about £70.
To be honest if I knew about White Rabbit when I first bought flashcards I would have bought White Rabbit.

The 2 sets have different markets though. White Rabbit is aimed at JLPT learners, lots doing 3 and 4, some doing 2 not so many making it to 1. Which is why White Rabbit haven't gotten around to those last 1000 kanji yet. Heisig is aimed at people using the Heisig method.

But because of what works for me I find I use computer based flashcards in preference to paper as being more convenient especially if combined with an interval learning system.
Anki is a free, cross platform and comes with a ready made Heisig set for it.

OK not so useful for the tube, but there are other things I can occupy myself with then.

there's also a print your own Heisig set from the maker of rikaichan plugin.
http://www.polarcloud.com/kanji

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 6th, 2008 5:08 pm

I decided to go with Anki in the end. The Heisig set would be ideal, but amazon reviewers said they were just heavy paper, which is pretty terrible for the price. Most of the characters I want to review most are past the 1000 mark, so the White Rabbit ones really wouldn't be much use. Maybe I will get them if I ever do the JLPT. Like you said, most of the other varieties have romaji, so I'd rather avoid them.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 6th, 2008 6:33 pm

At least Anki is free!

Although if you go beyond Book 1 of Heisig you'll need to input the additional information for readings and compounds yourself or search out someone who has done so already.
Someone has written an extension to pull your data off the Reviewing the Kanji site
http://kanji.koohii.com/

I favour iFlash as a flashcard program but it's Mac only, shareware, and in hiatus at the moment. (I wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration is for the iPhone and iPod touch though. that'd be something... if I owned an iPod touch! it could be an ecuse though.... ) I'm sure there's a Heisig set for iFlash.

Good to know about the quality of the Heisig cards. Tuttles (and I presume White Rabbit) are playing card quality stock.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 6th, 2008 9:28 pm

Belton wrote:Good to know about the quality of the Heisig cards. Tuttles (and I presume White Rabbit) are playing card quality stock.

I can attest to this, as a friend of mine had a set of the White Rabbit cards-- they are very well produced, slightly glossy and have the feel of a thick set of quality playing cards. I still advise making your own for the experience (it's nice to watch "the pile" grow as you progress), but for those who don't have that time this is the next best option. As Belton said, stay away from the Heisig cards.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”