Or sign up using Facebook

Electronic Dictionaries with Furigana?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

brendonmc
New in Town

Electronic Dictionaries with Furigana?

Postby brendonmc » August 15th, 2007 12:32 am

Hi,

I've been learning Japanese for about 1 year, and I'd like to purchase an Electronic Dictionary.

One key feature for me is furigana, so that I know how to pronounce the Kanji - does anyone know if there are electronic dictionaries out there that support this feature?

Or that show the Kanji pronounciation in hiragana/katana?

Any help would be great!

Brendan

JonB
Expert on Something

Would be nice wouldn't it

Postby JonB » August 15th, 2007 2:39 am

It would be nice and if you do a seach on the site there is a thread somewhere about this. There used to be a dictionary - Seiko RM2000 - but it has been discontinued (and it was not a very good dictionary from a vocabulary point of view).

Most Casio and Sharp dictionaries (and others I'm sure but they are the main two) you can get to the kana by using the "jump" function - but yes that is a pain.

All the dictionaries on the market are for Japanese people that want to speak English. If you know anyone at Casio or Sharp who complains that foreigners don't do enough to learn Japanese perhaps you could ask them to suggest their company help us!

Get 40% OFF
sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 23rd, 2007 9:09 pm

I mentioned this in another post, but if you have a Nintendo DS, you can get an electronic dictionary with exactly that feature.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/arjj/

The NDS is pretty cheap anyhow, so even if you don't have have one, it's still a pretty good deal.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”