Or sign up using Facebook

Anyone used Nakama?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

swiftman
Been Around a Bit

Anyone used Nakama?

Postby swiftman » May 11th, 2007 10:17 am

Hi,

Im new to this forum but I hope to be using this site often.

I just got a textbook/workbook called "Nakama I"

I got it to prep before I take the Japanese courses at my university, basically to get a head start prior to the fall.

Does anyone have any experience with this book?

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » May 11th, 2007 1:59 pm

My introductory class used this book exclusively. My intermediate class used Nakama II exclusively as well. I personally like the series, but I have a few friends who really dislike it, so I can't say how much success you'll have with it. I'm currently studying in Japan with folks from other countries who presumably used other textbooks, and I feel like it prepared me well enough.
By the way, I made it to Japan

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 14th, 2007 12:16 am

I actually liked the book. I still have my copy from when I went to college. Maybe one day I will get it back out again.

asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

Postby asahi_nysurf » May 24th, 2007 9:00 am

ya i used I & II. It's an okay book

swiftman
Been Around a Bit

Postby swiftman » May 24th, 2007 9:26 am

do you guys think that you need directed instruction to learn out of it? or can someone just teach themselves using it?

I got Nakama I to, as I stated, learn this summer, but I haven't begun going through it yet. So I wonder if it is an easy to use, self-study book as well.

I am hoping to test into a higher level language class in the fall as opposed to the introductory course.

Also, do you guys think the JapanPod101 materials mesh well with Nakama? If so... what parts would you guys recommend using in conjunction with the book if any at all. Or maybe, it is better to not use the book... try Jpod all summer... than try to test into intermediate Japanese in that manner?

they use the second half of Nakama I in intermediate japanese after all... so i wouldnt be wasting the book.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 24th, 2007 12:24 pm

I didn't think the book was that hard. I never had a problem reading on my own, and it is one of the few books that gives you lots of words to learn.

I may get my book out and start reading it again this summer. My goal is to devote 2 hours a day on Japanese during the week, and more on the weekend.

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » May 25th, 2007 12:31 am

First off, I don't have access to the Learning Center. I'm talking about the free audio and video only.

In my experience, JPod and Nakama don't mix well. They don't use the same starting points to learn things, they teach things in different ways, and they teach things in very different orders. But they taste great together! Once Nakama has taught you rigid Japanese, JPod will teach you the vocabulary and colloquialisms to not sound so flat.

I don't think that listening to JPod will help you test into a higher Japanese class unless the test is speaking only. Even then, it does not teach all the grammar you will need to carry a basic role-playing conversation, which is what professors like to give in my experience. Maybe it does eventually, but I've been listening for months and months (up through BL68 on May 10, 2006), and so far there has been little hard-hitting grammar.

To do well on a written placement test, you will need to have lots of practice reading Japanese to be familiar with how things look on paper, in context. You probably won't get this skill from listening to the lessons and memorizing the hiragana/katakana charts. There is probably learning material to help you with this in the LC, but again, I haven't looked.

I recommend using the textbook as your main study material, and listening to the JPod for fun as supplementary material. Once your real class has started, you can play with that balance to find how you like it. The free JPod audio is great for helping with your spoken Japanese and listening comprehension, but not compressed enough nor comprehensive enough to quickly get you to the point where you could pass a first-term Japanese written test in the time you have available.

IMHO!

If you got the CD and workbook with the Nakama textbook, use 'em! They're great!

swiftman
Been Around a Bit

Postby swiftman » May 25th, 2007 1:03 am

Wow,

Thanks Tom! That was a very helpful answer.

I have all the audio that goes along with Nakama... so I think I'll take your advice... start with the book... and try to become really solid with the basics over the next three or four months... prior to the fall semester.

I'll use Jpod as a supplement...

I'm basically doing total immersion right now... Japanese music, Japanese TV, etc (i even talk to my cats in japanese... although I'm limited to "Amazing!" and a few other simple words lol... I'm basically trying to surround myself with as much Japanese as possible in a 24 hour period each and everyday.

Hopefully, this approach wil work.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 25th, 2007 1:59 am

I've tried the 24/7 approach too. It was easy while I was in Germany. I heard some Japanese while I was there, and it became my security blanket. German was more of a background noise until I started learning some words. :)

Now I'm limited to my books, music, and movies.

One thing though, give yourself a break from Japanese at least one day. Your brain will thank you for it.

swiftman
Been Around a Bit

Postby swiftman » May 25th, 2007 2:44 am

good call... i will definately take a break.

I will be taking only Japanese in the Fall so I wont have any other classes to get in the way of my Japanese study. I have an undergrad degree already so Im enrolling jsut to learn Japanese, Im hoping this makes it easier... you know, without having other classes to worry about.

this summer...
i figure 4 hours a day tops... of book study
nightly review before bed...
maybe a day off totally from japanese 100% here and there.

and music in the car, and on the computer... and i can always watch anime whenever I want.

Im in the US so I should have plenty of breaks from Japanese in general, Im hoping this approach works well.

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » May 25th, 2007 10:54 am

I think you'll do fine. Good luck.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 25th, 2007 1:13 pm

My breaks are always when I have to go to work!!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”