a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Learning Kanji with Nintendo DS

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mseidl
New in Town

Learning Kanji with Nintendo DS

Postby mseidl » April 2nd, 2007 11:25 am

I gather there are a lot of Kanji learning "games" for the Nintendo DS, but there are so many that I don't know where to get started. Anybody have experience with them?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » April 2nd, 2007 12:36 pm

I've been using
なぞっておぼえる大人の漢字練習
http://www.nowpro.co.jp/products/game/kanji/index.html
since Christmas. And still quite like it. It is certainly helping me, but my progress through the levels is quite slow.
The handwriting recognition is excellent. The interface is good.
The big drawback is it does assume adult level Japanese knowledge, so it can be quite hard for a learner. Also you have to get your English meanings elsewhere. but I think that would be a problem with any kanji "game"

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=782

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 2nd, 2007 1:55 pm

Belton wrote:The big drawback is it does assume adult level Japanese knowledge, so it can be quite hard for a learner.

Though, that's one that's designed specifically for adults.

I found the 漢検 game to be decent for non-native speakers of Japanese, since it progresses by grade level.

daynah
New in Town

Postby daynah » April 8th, 2007 3:15 am

This is the 'game' that I bought in Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. Most of the electronic things there tend to be cheaper. This particular game is a dictionary.

Marshdrifter
New in Town

Postby Marshdrifter » April 18th, 2007 3:11 am

I'm pretty much starting from scratch for kanji and so far I've found 正しい漢字かきとりくん? to be pretty helpful and fun.

I've also tried 200万人の漢検, but it was too difficult.

orochi_plus
New in Town

Postby orochi_plus » May 30th, 2007 3:21 pm

Kakitorikunis great for beginners. Its target audience is elementary students in Japan, so the difficulty level isn't too high. The only problem is that it assumes the user knows the meaning of the kanji, so there isn't much instruction on that. It's great for writing and reading, though!

Nazotte Oboeru is my favorite Japanese learning game for the DS so far. It's fantastic! You learn how to read and write characters via an intuitive interface. It's probably best for intermediate to advanced users, but once you get started with it, you can learn a tremendous amount!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”