a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hmm...is it really worth it?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

WCR91
Established Presence

Hmm...is it really worth it?

Postby WCR91 » January 12th, 2007 6:30 pm

Hey, everyone. I've been thinking of taking the 3-Level JLPT (I've since realized that I don't have the time nor resources to go with my original plan of bullrushing the Level 1.)

But I was wondering..

After you take the JLPT, do you receive some sort of certificate if you pass, or a formal set of documents explaining your score? Or something?

How does all of that work?
And If I do take it, when can I expect to receive my score? (or lack thereof)

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » January 12th, 2007 7:54 pm

You get a certificate, usually mailed in March. There isn't much point to getting certified at level 3, but it is a good motivator for many people. If you don't care about getting the formal score you can just score yourself by purchasing one of the previous year's exams, or taking the free ones online.

Get 40% OFF
kareman
New in Town

Postby kareman » February 7th, 2007 11:32 pm

You know what? I'm a bit sick and tired of people saying that there is no point in sitting level three, except for its motivational value. I find that this kind of comment not only undervalues all the hard work people put in to passing this level (which is no walk in the park, btw), but it is also grossly untrue. Ok, so maybe level 3 won't guarantee you a job in Japan (not that level 2 does!), but in my personal opinion, if I was looking at the CVs of two people applying for a job, and one said they were able to speak Japanese and the other said they had an internationally recognised qualification proving they were at an intermediate level, I'd be much more impressed by the one with proof. Sure, sitting level 3 is largely motivational, but as someone who has just studied their ass off and passed, I think it does has some real tangible value as well.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 8th, 2007 1:12 am

kareman wrote:You know what? I'm a bit sick and tired of people saying that there is no point in sitting level three, except for its motivational value. I find that this kind of comment not only undervalues all the hard work people put in to passing this level (which is no walk in the park, btw), but it is also grossly untrue. Ok, so maybe level 3 won't guarantee you a job in Japan (not that level 2 does!), but in my personal opinion, if I was looking at the CVs of two people applying for a job, and one said they were able to speak Japanese and the other said they had an internationally recognised qualification proving they were at an intermediate level, I'd be much more impressed by the one with proof. Sure, sitting level 3 is largely motivational, but as someone who has just studied their ass off and passed, I think it does has some real tangible value as well.

Congratulations on passing the test! :D I'm still waiting for my results. You're right about the way we talk about the JLPT devaluing the effort you've put into studying and passing the exam, but I don't think that's anyone's intenet.

I tell people that it's not worth it except for motivational value, because the test is a horrible experience throughout the entire 6 month application, test-taking, waiting for the results process. It was hell from beginning to end, and I just don't think it's worth it at the lower-levels... the potential benefits aren't worth the effort. If you're hoping to get a job with only 3-kyu level, I'd imagine that it's going to be your awesome conversational skills that tip the balance more than the JLPT certificate.

In addition, it's not really a great indicator of proficiency (not that there are a lot of other choices).

Not saying that it's a bad choice to take the exams. Although, a bad choice would be studying solely for the exams. Which is actually my issue with taking 1kyu next year, I feel like I'll be studying grammar for the next 8 months, and not be developing my conversational skills.

And I might disagree about JLPT being an "internationally recognized qualification", there are a lot of people here in Japan who don't know what the JLPT is.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » February 8th, 2007 12:58 pm

No offense was intended kareman.

JohnCBriggs
Expert on Something

Postby JohnCBriggs » February 9th, 2007 2:17 am

Karemanさん,
Congratulations on passing. I am still waiting my results for taking 三級 test.
じゃ また
ジョン

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » February 19th, 2007 6:53 pm

Hmm. Yeah, I guess I can see you're coming from, Kareman...

It's quite a bit of a drive to Atlanta from my hometown in South Carolina.

But as I am only sixteen years of age, and I am taking the 3-kyuu realistically for motivation only (and as an experiment to see if I am interested in majoring in East Asian Lang/Lit. in College), I think it's a good place for me to start off. I'm a quick enough learner that I don't need the 4-kyuu, but am nowhere near fluent enough for the 2-kyuu.

Comments? Criticisms? Let me know.

Robato
Been Around a Bit

Do we have any high JLPT levels 1 or 2 or 3 who have jobs?

Postby Robato » March 30th, 2007 1:17 pm

I plan to take this test this year level 3.
I think I am around early 2 kyu level .

I do not have any official Japanese qualifications.
I agree it takes a certain amount of study and I think it's agood thing to do.

It does help motivation and it does help your kanji level especially.

The ones who recognise it are teachers and students I think more than employers~!!! any comments on this?

Do we have any high JLPT levels 1 or 2 or 3 who have jobs using Japanese who can kindly advise us on it's merits in obtaining employment and did it sway an employer to employ them.

i understand JLPT 2 level is required for Japanese courses in the UK post grad--thats a pretty high level.

from Robato

I

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » March 30th, 2007 2:01 pm

I have heard that most employers probably do not know what the JLPT is. One piece of advice I have heard is to call it the 日本語検定 because this might be a more recognizable concept than 日本語能力試験.

I think though, that there is some value in a certification even if the employer is not familiar with it. At the very least, it could give you an edge over someone with no formal training/accreditation.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 30th, 2007 2:31 pm

It's anecdotal, but one of my teacher's other students got a job this year (using Japanese) with a Japanese firm here in London because of their Level 3 JLPT.

Also no certification is ever wasted. It shows that you have put in the effort required to get it and demonstrates that you have a particular level. Sometimes if it's just to prove it to yourself. Or sometimes to back up your claims when going for a non Japanese related post. (It's one thing to say I study Japanese, it's another to say I study Japanese and have JLPT to prove it.)

level 3 is by no means easy.
I know of people studying (albeit part time) for 5 years who have difficulty with level 4.

In the end however any certification is only going to get your foot in the door or get you shortlisted for an interview. Eventually it'll come down to what your actual ability is. Paradoxically without the certificate you may never get to show a prospective employer just what your skills might be.

As for post grad courses.

well undergraduate courses in UK seem to aim to get you from zero to level 2 JLPT level in 3-4 years, usually with one year or semester in Japan. That's hard work I think. especially as I'm not aware of any single subject degrees in Japanese.
If your primary degree isn't in Japanese, JLPT2 would be a minimum to do the level of work required on a Masters. Given the way universities work, you'll need some sort of recognised piece of paper to get on a course.

Robato
Been Around a Bit

In romaji

Postby Robato » March 30th, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks Tiroth san

whats this in romaji? cannot read it?

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » March 30th, 2007 3:27 pm

日本語能力試験 - nihongo nouryoku siken - the JLPT

日本語検定 - nihongo kentei *

* literally, japanese certification. but, there is actually a test called this now I believe, so be warned that it could cause some confusion about exactly which test you have taken. It's good for getting the point across though.

Robato
Been Around a Bit

im glad its the easier one to say!!

Postby Robato » March 30th, 2007 3:42 pm

Thank you --im glad its the easier one to say!! and you have helped to push my kanji up for the day !! I do like studying Japanese and for so long I concentrated on speaking,listening,grammar etc but not kanji so much --------JLPT is good for kanji and reading and listening . As we all appreciate its a tough but interesting language.

お返事どうもありがとうございました
宜しく

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » April 20th, 2007 3:08 am

For most Japanese companies JLPT level 1 is just the beginning of testing your Japanese knowledge.

Working in Japan, my company does not look at any non-Japanese who do not hold a level 1 in JLPT (this is like testing to make sure you know how to breath.)
The test to them means you're good at memorization. To them it doesn't mean you really know any Japanese at all. If you cannot follow their jokes, become part of the in-group, understand their mannerisms and culture during the interview, you're cut. It sounds harsh but thats the way it is. I think it's the same in the States.

At the end of the day if you can't communicate to get work done whats the point?

Robato
Been Around a Bit

JLPT level 1

Postby Robato » April 20th, 2007 7:46 pm

Hey thanks for the comment.

Can I ask did you have this level when entering the company.Interesting to know.

From my experience its all about with fitting in with the group moreover than language ability.

I think the memorization thing is so true from what you said.

I have met those with level 1 and above and they tended to be tranlators and they admitted themselves that their spoken Japanese was not so good.Of course good at certain aspects of Japanese.Then there are those with fantastic Japanese but basic kanji and the ones I met didnt work for acompany in Japan but for themselves. Its very hard to be both unless you were born in Japan or stayed a long time.

In my case my kanji ability is not so good around early JLPT 2 now but I keep learning and I am quite enjoying it now that I am not in Japan.Quite easy to learn and drill kanji from outside of Japan if you set aside a few hrs a week ,take a test , etc its good way to keep up with the language.My spoken ability has dropped a little since leaving Japan but through learning kanji my vocabularly has increased.

I would like to hear from those with JLPT 4,3,2,1 or whatever test result that can tell us how they progressed into a Japanese organisation beause of it.It would be interesting for this forum to know.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”