Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

When to start learning Kanji

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

When should somone start learning kanji?

Right away no matter the level.
22%
When they reach the "Begginner" level.
16%
When they are studying "Intermediate" lessons.
19%
As soon as they finish learning the kana.
44%

Total votes: 32

lawfulryan6847
New in Town

When to start learning Kanji

Postby lawfulryan6847 » January 11th, 2012 5:37 pm

Hello,

I am a Japanese language newbie and am wondering at what level I should be at before I undertake learning kanji. I have learned both kana fairly well, but am not able to communicate yet.

When should I start memorizing kanji (newbie, beginner, lower intermediate, etc.) and what is the best way to study kanji? Once I memorize the kanji, what's the best way to practice reading?

As a side note, how many readings do I have to know for each Kanji? Some have only 1 or 2, and others have like 10. Do I really need to know every reading for every kanji when there are numerous readings?

Thanks for your help!

boku1571
Been Around a Bit

Postby boku1571 » January 12th, 2012 6:41 am

The best time, in my opinion, is WHILE you are learning the associated vocabulary. Reviewing each of the Kanji will reinforce the vocabulary that goes with it at the same time.

As far as readings, you should learn the two most common, one each of the ON and KUN readings, as that's what you'll encounter most. Once you've learned those two, you'll often be able to "sound out" new words by using those readings, and if it sounds like a word already in your vocabulary, then you've figured out another word. For instance, if you've learned 先 as "せん/ sen", then you can recognize it in both 先生 and 先週 where it actually has different meanings but the same readings. That is why learning the reading as well as the meaning is important. The time spent studying the kanji for both of those vocabulary isn't wasted on your speaking vocabulary either - you WILL learn the spoken word faster, and by the time you remember the Kanji, the pronunciation and meaning will have stuck in your head as well.

Personally, the method I use for studying Kanji are Anki decks. However I wasn't happy with many of the decks I could download, so I made my own decks that gave me the information and context that I wanted. The main idea though, is spaced repetition. You can use the flashcards too here on JPod101 if you're a premium member as well, the new flashcard tool is a great way to study both Kanji & Vocabulary at the same time.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 12th, 2012 12:08 pm

Learn kana first, then move straight on to kanji. There's no sense in putting it off because it's a long-term process that will advance your overall Japanese level. If you're wondering how to do it, I'd go to koohii, the kanji forum, and read some posts or ask some questions. Personally, I used Heisig's book initially, which allows you to memorise all the characters, then I took an approach similar to boku1571 and learnt the readings through the words. I think learning the readings in isolation is one of the biggest ways you can slow yourself down and generally waste time in your quest to fluency. Good luck in any case.

languagealert9490
New in Town

Re: When to start learning Kanji

Postby languagealert9490 » October 20th, 2012 7:55 am

Probably worth noting that all children learn to speak first, they know vocabulary, and they know basic grammar, and then they learn to read. With a speaking and understanding foundation, reading becomes much easier. I've found that if I know a word first in Japanese, and then learn the kanji it's very easy to associate the two from then on. If I learn a kanji first, and try to remember the meaning, a little slower. So put emphasis on communication ability always leading the way, with reading not far behind in the learning process. Just food for thought.

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: When to start learning Kanji

Postby natsukoy9313 » October 23rd, 2012 4:28 am

Hello, everyone! :D
Thank you very much for posts & advice!

Yes; learning kanji with vocabulary after you finish all hiragana and katakana would be the best.
Readings vary depending on words, so learning kanji in context and/or as word might help you a lot.
Using our PDF, which has transcription, you can learn some kanji from the dialog too!
Good luck! :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”