a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Help with Reading Section

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

chloes
New in Town

Help with Reading Section

Postby chloes » August 26th, 2006 7:35 am

I'm going fine on the other sections, but the reading is freaking me out!

What is the best way to attack this when studying. do you try and translate the whole passage (with dicitonary) and then answer the questions? any tips?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Help with Reading Section

Postby Bueller_007 » August 27th, 2006 3:17 am

chloes wrote:I'm going fine on the other sections, but the reading is freaking me out!

What is the best way to attack this when studying. do you try and translate the whole passage (with dicitonary) and then answer the questions? any tips?

What level? Reading for L3 and L4 should not be much of a worry. You'll have lots of time.

With level 2 you start getting into articles that seem to come from social sciences journals and stuff. Ugh. If it's not brutally difficult then it's brutally dull.

Anyway, when I used to teach TOEIC, the most important tip I taught them for the reading section was READ THE QUESTIONS FIRST. It's obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people don't do this.

And don't bother with a dictionary, because you can't use one for the test. Have to learn to guess.

Get 40% OFF
tiroth
Been Around a Bit

Postby tiroth » August 28th, 2006 2:53 pm

Reading the questions first is great advice. Sometimes on the short readings the answer requires you to read only a fraction of the selection. Even if you have to read it all, it often helps to be on the lookout for the answer instead of simply reading generally.

Ryderer
New in Town

Re :

Postby Ryderer » October 30th, 2009 6:48 am

Personally, I think you can't really speed up the learning process to a great extent. This is because learning a language is more of a process of taking time and letting things sink. What you are doing right now is great though and is probably one of the best ways to approach this LangLearner I'm learning Languages with this tool, and it's very helpful.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”