Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Readers

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ehimevicky
New in Town

Japanese Readers

Postby ehimevicky » October 28th, 2009 5:41 am

Hi!
I'm currently studying for the JLPT level 3 so at the moment all my study time is taken up with drills and past papers. After the exam though I'd really like to get some Japanese readers appropriate for my level. Can anyone suggest some good ones, preferably available on Amazon.co.jp.
Thanks!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » October 28th, 2009 6:54 am

I like this one. If you're looking to go systematically from JLPT 3 to 2, then I'm not sure how useful it is, because it contains a lot of redundant old words and constructions (I probably won't have much need for words like 'straw boots', or 'ship's mast' in my daily life, for example).

But if you're looking to broaden your exposure to real Japanese, I think it's excellent, because it contains actual classics of Japanese literature. It has been difficult going for me because of the amount of new vocab, but I've just been putting anything I don't understand (ie. almost all of it) into Anki and then re-reading stuff, and now I can read about half of it without any problem. Also, you can download an audio version that I listen to while out jogging.

If you want an easier approach that ties in more neatly to JLPT levels, then you could try these (if my link works...).

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 28th, 2009 12:50 pm

You could also try checking out some manga that you might find interesting. The speech bubble format means you're never exposed to too much language at once, so it's a great way to start getting exposure to real Japanese, even if you're not at a very high level. I also find myself picking up a manga when I get a spare moment to read, whereas books still seem like a lot of effort, so I won't bother unless I'm really motivated to read Japanese.

As for Breaking into Japanese Literature, I think the idea of the book is good; the built-in dictionary makes it very convenient. However, I think more than a third of the words will be the redundant ones Taurus mentioned, there are lots of difficult kanji (outside of jouyou), and it uses outdated readings and ways of writing words, which can trip you up at this level. I had a problem reading 傾ける for a while, because the first time I saw it was in this book, written as かたぶける, for example. It also gets insanely difficult after the first short set of stories.

taffeta1067
New in Town

Postby taffeta1067 » September 27th, 2010 12:37 pm

The advantages for manga reading are that many of them use furigana over the kanji so it's a way to build new vocabulary and get kanji readings at the same time. However, what manga reading doesn't do is give you much in the way of non-dialogue sentences. This means it's usefulness for grammar is questionable at times. It's NOT true that all manga is in slang or horribly conjugated Japanese although there is a certain amount of that depending on the genre you pick up. However, manga as a learning resource may be a level too easy for someone taking N3. (As a general relaxed reading thing though, ganbatte).

I still read and re-read Harukanaru Toki no Naka De (fixation with Heian Jidai) and am amazed how many little turns of old Japanese speech I've learned from it, but am still a good way from understanding Classical Japanese enough to read the Heike Monogatari in it;s original form :)

A lot of famous Japanese literature was written in old Japanese, too. Unless you're keen on that side of the language (which I am, though I haven't had a chance to pursue it yet), you're possibly better off setting your sites on more modern publications. Light novels and such like are a starting point, perhaps?

It's better if you can read things like magazines/bunko/etc even if just in small doses (short stories might be an option.) That way the grammar constructions you're learning for the exam will become more natural to you when reading them and will hopefully stick in your head...?

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”