Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Choosing which level to take

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

What level do you think I should shoot for next year?

8%
47%
37%
8%

Total votes: 38

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Choosing which level to take

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm planning on taking the JLPT this year and next year, partly as preperation for a trip to Japan at the end of 2007, but also just because I want to. The problem is that I can't decide which level to take when. I'm not a very good judge of my own ability. Level 4 is most likely too low. At this point, I'm planning on shooting for 3 this year as a kind of "test the waters" kinda thing, and go for 2 next year. I'm reluctant to realistically aim for 1 next year. I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who've taken it at any level. Thanks! :)
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Choosing which level to take

Postby Bueller_007 » April 25th, 2006 4:59 pm

Jason wrote:I'm planning on taking the JLPT this year and next year, partly as preperation for a trip to Japan at the end of 2007, but also just because I want to. The problem is that I can't decide which level to take when. I'm not a very good judge of my own ability. Level 4 is most likely too low. At this point, I'm planning on shooting for 3 this year as a kind of "test the waters" kinda thing, and go for 2 next year. I'm reluctant to realistically aim for 1 next year. I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who've taken it at any level. Thanks! :)

Looking at your website, I'd say you've got level 3 in the bag. How many kanji do you know, (roughly)?

Get 40% OFF
Jason

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 5:07 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:Looking at your website, I'd say you've got level 3 in the bag. How many kanji do you know, (roughly)?

I have no idea. "Officially" from the 3 years of class I had, probably somewhere in the 200-300 range. But I've absorbed a lot more to varying degrees from reading and writing on my own (read: no structured study method). Some of these I know pretty well. Some...not so much. So it's really difficult to give you even a ballpark number since I really haven't been keeping track of them. f(^_^);;

I'm not too particularly worried about grammar. Shimizu-sensei has always said I have a very strong grasp on that. What I'm most concerned about is really knowing the kanji and vocab, which is one of my weaker areas when it comes to the sheer number of words I know well.
Jason

esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » April 25th, 2006 5:22 pm

well from what ive heard the JLPT exams are recommended for:
JLPT level 4 after 1 year of study
JLPT level 3 after 2 year of study
JLPT level 2 after 4 year of study
JLPT level 1 after 6 year of study

so I would probably go for level 3 after 3 years of study or maybe try level 2. Try and get some past papers to see how you do on them.

this website is a good guide to use when deciding which level you wan't to take http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/about_e.html

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 25th, 2006 5:36 pm

Jason wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:Looking at your website, I'd say you've got level 3 in the bag. How many kanji do you know, (roughly)?

I have no idea. "Officially" from the 3 years of class I had, probably somewhere in the 200-300 range. But I've absorbed a lot more to varying degrees from reading and writing on my own (read: no structured study method). Some of these I know pretty well. Some...not so much. So it's really difficult to give you even a ballpark number since I really haven't been keeping track of them. f(^_^);;

I'm not too particularly worried about grammar. Shimizu-sensei has always said I have a very strong grasp on that. What I'm most concerned about is really knowing the kanji and vocab, which is one of my weaker areas when it comes to the sheer number of words I know well.

Just from the blog, I'd say you can handle L3. It's really not that difficult, especially if you're studying Japanese in uni. I went from speaking absolutely nothing to L3 in 10 months of on-again-off-again home study.

The thing about the JLPT is that it is such a big jump between levels, even though you're clearly too good for L3, you could still find L2 next to impossible. But L3 is literally useless. You can't get a job with L3. If you pass L3, which you will, you'll get nothing out of it except a tiny postcard that says "pass". Not much, considering the money and the time you put into it. PLUS, if you take an L3 practice test in August and pass, you'll start slacking off. If you fail an L2 practice test, you'll start studying harder. L2 would be motivation for you.

Don't bother with L3. Instead, pick up a copy of "Kanji In Context" and some kanji flash cards and study your ass off for L2. You can get a job with L2, and you'll be that much closer to L1 next year. Even if you fail, which you might, taking the L2 and failing will be more help to you than taking the L3 and passing. You've still got a lot of kanji & vocab to learn, but then you've got seven months to learn them. So go for it.
Last edited by Bueller_007 on April 25th, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 5:49 pm

Yeah, I've heard of the massive jump between levels. That's why I was reluctant to go straight for 2. Thanks for your advice. :) I seem to absorb languages fairly quickly, so I guess it's just a matter of finding a good list of kanji and vocab to use, like the book you mentioned.
Jason

danielbeck
New in Town

Postby danielbeck » April 25th, 2006 8:04 pm

Jason,

I would go for 2 if I were you.

Level 1 is brutal from what I hear. Many Japanese would struggle with it because the questions are rather technical.

Daniel
Daniel Beck
Christian Hedonist
http://web.mac.com/danielbeck/

PeteS
New in Town

Postby PeteS » April 26th, 2006 9:19 am

I gotta agree with the others. Although I haven't taken a JLPT yet, I'm aiming for Level 2 as lower levels aren't really worth anything in a practical sense.
The Nihongo Journal (now available free at http://www.alc.co.jp/nj/ :D ) often has useful practise exercises for JLPT. It's not unusual for me to understand 100% of the level 3 stuff and 0% of the level 2 stuff. :cry:

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 26th, 2006 1:32 pm

PeteS wrote:I gotta agree with the others. Although I haven't taken a JLPT yet, I'm aiming for Level 2 as lower levels aren't really worth anything in a practical sense.
The Nihongo Journal (now available free at http://www.alc.co.jp/nj/ :D ) often has useful practise exercises for JLPT. It's not unusual for me to understand 100% of the level 3 stuff and 0% of the level 2 stuff. :cry:

Holy crap! They're making new issues again. They stopped publication in early 2005.

NJ is one of the best study guides out there.

rhondavb
New in Town

Postby rhondavb » April 27th, 2006 10:44 pm

Listening (reading?) your conversation here has given me some food for thought. I was planning on taking level 4 in December, but I have already had 3 college quarters of Japanese. I suppose I would be considered a beginning 2nd year student. By the time the test comes around, I will have completed (or nearly complete) Japanese 4.

So, I'm thinking why not go ahead and shoot for level 3. I'm not doing this for career purposes, just for fun mostly, and yeah, some bragging rights. :wink: Plus, my exam location is only about 30 minutes away by car.

I'd probably be on the borderline between 4 and 3 as far as my current level, but why not reach for the higher goal, right?

Just don't remember that I've posted this and ask me next year how I did.
:oops:

~Rhonda

RobGillon
New in Town

Postby RobGillon » May 2nd, 2006 6:24 pm

I put that I think you should go for level 2. Simply from reading your posts, I would say that you could do it, if you started studying for it (I only say that because for the JLPT you do really have to study specifically for it, as I have known people fluent in the language fail JLPT tests all over the place!).

In reply to what esp said - it depends on how you learn Japanese, but according to the way our university does it, it's more like:

Level 4 = 3 months
Level 3 = 6 months / 1 year
Level 2 = 2 years
Level 1 = 4 years

As there is half a year to go, you have plenty of time to search the internet for the vocab and kanji lists. I recommend that you download a JLPT 2 vocab and kanji list, put it in a word / excel file, delete all the words / kanji that you know, then see what you're left with. I think you will be left with an easily learnable amount in the 6 months there are to study for the test. Then I recommend jgram.org just to check that you've got all the grammar down as well.

And I'm also really excited about the Nihongo Journal being back in print! I'm gonna get right on my library to get a subscription going again!

Jason

Postby Jason » May 2nd, 2006 9:59 pm

RobGillon wrote:I recommend that you download a JLPT 2 vocab and kanji list, put it in a word / excel file, delete all the words / kanji that you know, then see what you're left with. I think you will be left with an easily learnable amount in the 6 months there are to study for the test. Then I recommend jgram.org just to check that you've got all the grammar down as well.

That's an excellent idea. I'll have to remember to do that after finals are over and things settle down in a couple of weeks.
Jason

Elderp
New in Town

Postby Elderp » July 3rd, 2006 9:53 pm

I had no idea there was a test for Japanese but I guess that makes sense. I looked at the tests, I am such a beginner. I sort of understood what was in the level 4 test but as for the level 2 test all I got out of it was you have 35 minutes in which to complete this test. Oh, and this is the way to fill out the form. LOL GL on the test. I think it is going to be a long time before I get good enough to take that test. My interpretation of Kanji is really bad. Speaking and Listening not so bad but it is hard for me to read it.

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » September 19th, 2006 1:28 am

esp wrote:well from what ive heard the JLPT exams are recommended for:
JLPT level 4 after 1 year of study
JLPT level 3 after 2 year of study
JLPT level 2 after 4 year of study
JLPT level 1 after 6 year of study

so I would probably go for level 3 after 3 years of study or maybe try level 2. Try and get some past papers to see how you do on them.

this website is a good guide to use when deciding which level you wan't to take http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/about_e.html

JLPT 1 after six years of study?
The website says only 900 hours. I'm sure that's a terrible estimate, but I think one could put in the sufficient study time in 2-3 years.

Jason

Postby Jason » September 19th, 2006 2:19 am

Well, I ended up missing the deadline. So no JLPT for me this year. But that's ok since my trip got pushed back a year.

One thing I'm confused on now is where is it offered? From looking at the official website it looked like it's only given in select cities, Baton Rouge not being among them. But when Shimizu-sensei first told us about it a couple of years ago, it seemed like it would be given here on campus?
Jason

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”