Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT 2 - Where to start?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

oyayubi
New in Town

JLPT 2 - Where to start?

Postby oyayubi » January 23rd, 2009 4:09 am

Hi,

I took JLPT Level 3 last month, and I'm pretty sure I did really well. I'm already thinking about taking Level 2 in 11 months. I haven't listened to podcasts here in awhile (sorry, but the JLPT Kanji Bank was great!), and I'd like suggestions on which podcast series I should listen to. I'm a premium member, so I can look all of them up, and I have a 1+ hour commute each way in my car that's just begging me to start listening to this again :^) Thanks in advance.
親指 "Thumbs"

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 23rd, 2009 9:04 am

Depending on how dedicated you are, that can be a pretty tall order. There is a huge gap (at least until the reform in 2010) between grades 3 and 2. The official requirements say that, in addition to what you already know, you'll need to learn approx. 4,000 words, 600 kanji, and dozens of new grammatical patterns. To give you an idea, http://jlpt.biz/ has a lot of information, including downloadable copies of previous exams.

Unfortunately I have little advice to offer regarding the podcasts, seeing as I still have a stockpile of season-1 episodes sitting around that I have yet to complete. Still, if you've passed JLPT 3, all three of the intermediate levels should be more or less open to you. Pick something you're comfortable with and listen often! Consistency is far more important than intensity.

I'm planning to shoot for the JLPT this year myself, so let's make this thing happen. 8)
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 23rd, 2009 2:24 pm

Very true. Consistency is the most important thing. Even if you aren't ready for JLPT2, you're Japanese will still improve nevertheless, so you've nowhere to go but up. :)
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

oyayubi
New in Town

Postby oyayubi » January 24th, 2009 7:04 pm

Thank you for the replies... I'm going to start off a little "easy" and opt for the lower intermediate lessons, and we'll see what happens!
親指 "Thumbs"

mrtrombone
New in Town

Postby mrtrombone » February 17th, 2009 5:15 am

I took the JLPT 3 last dec too and am now ready to tackle level 2 stuff. was actually thinking of starting the lower intermediates, but just got a question. is it better to start the lessons from lesson 1 or can/should i just pick up from the most recent since the lessons are non-linear anyways?

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » March 13th, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm actually doing the intermediate lessons now from the beginning for preparing for JLPT3. I like it's heavier emphasis on listening (but I also am finishing up the beginner series which has lots more vocab, and they overlap a bit). The lower-intermediate lessons are a nice medium as well, but you might as well start with a series, any series, and just start from there. Even if things overlap, review is always good, and one can always listen to the same grammar but in different contexts.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 1st, 2009 4:54 am

I'm debating whether or not to take level 3 this year, or wait until next year to take level 2. I've buckled down and started getting more into listening, kanji and vocabulary. I will also start to add more grammar to the mix as time goes on. I'll have to see where I'm at when the new application comes out later this year.

My goal is to get a regular job here in Japan before my visa runs out in 3 years. Teaching English is ok as a part-time job, but I'd rather be doing something like being a translator or interpreter.

I've looked on the Japan Times website, and most employers require at least a level 2 proficiency in Japanese.

choco102
New in Town

Postby choco102 » June 9th, 2010 2:48 am

I am taking level 3 this year and I see that it is suitable for me. My level is similar to you and you can take the same lesson like me. I think it is Ok.

DanielFC
New in Town

Hey

Postby DanielFC » June 20th, 2010 7:33 pm

I passed level 3 two years ago and since there i'm studying a little bit day by day, but as december's comming fast i have to double the effort so in order to pass level 2 (i know i'm still far) i'm listening audio blog and upper intermediate lessons together, listen audioblog many many times because i think its contents what lessons teaches (and some stuff more, but it's fine, think) it's so good to practice what you've leant in other contexs (as someone said before me) and has a lot of vocubulary and gives you more japanese ways to express ideas; hope it helps to you too
Miki's audioblog is good to start.

If someone else has some idea or way to learn and practice fot jlpt 2 yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Daniel Ferrante

mutley
Been Around a Bit

Postby mutley » June 20th, 2010 10:38 pm

Level 2 has got some pretty tricky reading. I think it's a good idea to try and learn most of the required kanji as soon as possible otherwise it's hard to practice reading Japanese of a suitable level.

2-3 months before the test using the test specific study guides will really help too. Like all exams there is a certain style to the questions, especially the listening. Unlike some language exams you only get to hear the listening once so you need to get used to keeping your concentration in that sort of situation.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”