a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT Level 4, Anyone?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Postby gryffindor » May 18th, 2006 11:44 am

penelope wrote:Hi everyone,
Where can one get files for the listening part of the JLPT ? There are lots of websites for vocab and kanji, but listening? How are you preparing that part of the exam?
Saluti :P

Hmmm I wonder too. But are the podcasts (basic) good enough for it? Or are they too simple?

penelope
New in Town

Postby penelope » May 18th, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi there :P

Bucko, CD sounds great. But ... lots of places?? I'm living in Sardinia. Here's no such place :cry:, but I travel around somewhat. Where should I look? I guess a normal Barnes&Nobles in the USA wouldn't have them? Do you have any specific library? I drop into NY and San Francisco once in a while, if you have any specific address/shop/whatever or at least the name of such CD (like - JLPT 4 listening for super-dummies), that would be of big help...

gryffindor: yeah, I don't know - maybe in the exam they speak full speed? I would be completely lost, I'm sure the podcast is in "slow mode", because actually I understand stuff once in a while... :wink:

Get 40% OFF
gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Postby gryffindor » May 18th, 2006 7:44 pm

penelope wrote:Hi there :P

Bucko, CD sounds great. But ... lots of places?? I'm living in Sardinia. Here's no such place :cry:, but I travel around somewhat. Where should I look? I guess a normal Barnes&Nobles in the USA wouldn't have them? Do you have any specific library? I drop into NY and San Francisco once in a while, if you have any specific address/shop/whatever or at least the name of such CD (like - JLPT 4 listening for super-dummies), that would be of big help... :

I do have a local bookshop selling the so called past year series with the CD of the listening compre section. If you can't find them, tell me, maybe I could help you buy it.

By the way, Sardinia is beautiful! I'm so envious!! I saw it on a Discovery Travel program. Lotsa millionaires have a vacation home there.

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » May 19th, 2006 12:15 am

penelope wrote:Bucko, CD sounds great. But ... lots of places??

Sorry I meant places online. Here's one place:

http://www.thejapanshop.com

Cheers!

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » May 19th, 2006 12:19 am

gryffindor wrote:Hmmm I wonder too. But are the podcasts (basic) good enough for it? Or are they too simple?

The JLPT 4 test's listening section is in between the beginner and intermediate podcasts here, IMO.

DJ_Beer
New in Town

Here are links for JPLT test books

Postby DJ_Beer » May 21st, 2006 3:59 am

I also plan on taking the JLPT yon-kyuu this year too. The closest location to me here in Pittsburgh seems to be Washington D.C. (@ Georgetown University)

Here are links for JPLT test books from previous years.

2005 JLPT (Preorder)
2004 JLPT

I have been using the 2004 book for a while to see my strengths and weaknesses, the audio CD included is a great for practicing listening comprehension.

I also have and recommend the Kanji Cards from White Rabbit Press that were mentioned before. Great for tackling those Kanji!

がんばってください みんなさん!
(Ganbatte Kudasai Minna-san!)

- D.J.

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » May 24th, 2006 3:08 pm

Mina-san, just wanted to know if you checked out our new JLPT section in the learning center. We have added some material for levels 3 and 4, and every Friday we'll be adding more. This Friday we're releasing our first audio questions. Please check it out and let us know what you think! Thank you. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » May 24th, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi Peter!

I would love to check out the JLPT section of the Learning Center, but I've already purchased a basic subscription. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Nicole

kcsega
New in Town

Postby kcsega » May 28th, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi everyone.

I've taken and passed the JLPT level 4 in 2004 and level 3 in 2005.
Here's what I've experienced in taking and studying for the exams:

1. I've noticed that the exams are increasing slowly in difficulty (in my opinion). Also, there seems to be a little wider range of kanji than in previous exams and test examples.

2. Its true that many people go into the exam underestimating the listening section. (I've done that myself.) For practicing, its very beneficial to be listening to the langauge on a regular basis. For me, I gathered a collection of podcasts and audio lesson CD's (ie. Pimsleur's) and just listen to it on the go or when i have some free time. What I also practiced was listening to conversations while writing down key words. This helped me a bunch on the exam, as they only play the conversation for each question twice.

3. For kanji and vocabulary practice, I surrounded my everyday life with it. I've got a kanji poster on my wall. I've made little kanji post-its and posted them on everyday items in my room and my desk at work. There's kanji and vocab on my keychain. (Thanks J-list!) I like Japanese manga, so I read them in their original form whenever I get the chance, seeing what words I can make out. (Helps tremendously if there is furigana above the kanji so I don't have to run back and forth to a dictionary)

4. Grammar is tricky. Nothing I can really say about this except to find books and to practice. (There are times when you feel that 2 answers can be correct and it gets frustrating)

I think it really helps if you find something that you like and to do it in that language. For me, its Japanese animation and dramas, Shotokan Martial Arts, and Kabuki theatre. If you're not having fun or have an interest in what you're studying, its not going to stick.

And also, nothing beats having someone fluent in the language to practice with. :)
(Try going to www.meetup.com and look for Japanese Language meetup groups in your area)

I love JapanesePod101. Keep up the superb work. :D
I'll be coming to Japan (Tokyo area) this October to study for a year. Maybe we'll run into each other. :wink:

gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Postby gryffindor » May 29th, 2006 8:42 am

Hi KCSega,

Is the difficulty of the listening comprehension section rather like the Intermediate level podcasts? Or is it harder?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 29th, 2006 10:43 am

gryffindor wrote:Hi KCSega,

Is the difficulty of the listening comprehension section rather like the Intermediate level podcasts? Or is it harder?

From what I remember, level 3 listening exercises are between intermediate and beginner lessons in difficulty. They are usually quite short, and deal with simple things like "put these pictures in order based on how the woman in the conversation makes sukiyaki."

kcsega
New in Town

Postby kcsega » May 29th, 2006 3:57 pm

Bueller_007 is right.
The conversations are definitely not as long or as involved as the intermediate lesson podcasts.
Try getting some audio cd's for practice. Be careful though, because some choices are quite similar in the exam questions.
If possible, get to the exam early and try to get a good seat towards the front of the room so you can hear the audio tape properly. :wink:

gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Postby gryffindor » May 29th, 2006 5:12 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
gryffindor wrote:Hi KCSega,

From what I remember, level 3 listening exercises are between intermediate and beginner lessons in difficulty. They are usually quite short, and deal with simple things like "put these pictures in order based on how the woman in the conversation makes sukiyaki."

How about level 4?

kcsega
New in Town

Postby kcsega » May 30th, 2006 12:30 am

I don't want to steer you wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about level 4.
(A lot of people don't even bother to take it and go straight into level 3 or 2 if they feel confident enough.)
If you can understand the beginner podcasts without the english translations with little or no problems, you should do fine on the listening comprehension section of the exam.

The trick is to remember what was said and then compare that to the question.
It's quite possible to pick a wrong answer if you don't pay attention to both carefully.
Remember, it's an exam, so they will try and trick you on occasion. :wink:

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 30th, 2006 2:49 am

kcsega wrote:I don't want to steer you wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about level 4.
(A lot of people don't even bother to take it and go straight into level 3 or 2 if they feel confident enough.)
If you can understand the beginner podcasts without the english translations with little or no problems, you should do fine on the listening comprehension section of the exam.

Agree with you 100%. The test is too expensive to justify taking the level 4, which is quite basic.

Buy practice tests for L4 instead. You can find copies of last year's test for like $15 in most Japanese bookstores. You'll save like $40, which you can use to buy a new Japanese textbook.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”