Or sign up using Facebook

3 Kyuu :shock:

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Debesso
New in Town

3 Kyuu :shock:

Postby Debesso » June 1st, 2006 11:37 am

Minna-san,

I want to take the 3 kyuu proficiency test at the end of this year. Can anyone reccomend a good text book to work from specifically for this..?

DanRoddy
New in Town

Postby DanRoddy » June 1st, 2006 11:21 pm

I've been using the UNICOM Preparatory Course for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 3. It is entirely in Japanese so sometimes you struggle to work out what the finer points are of the exercises, but it does force you to learn a number of kanji quite quickly. The structure of the text is great and that is what drew me to it. It also has a CD with the dialogues.
HOWEVER, the principle problem is you need a vocab level well in excess of L4 to be able to read it, so if you have only just passed L4, or your language is more domestic (like mine), then you will struggle with it. There is an English language translation available and that really is indispensible if you decide to use this text.
In myexperience of prepping for L4, the best thing you can do is acquire as many old papers as you can. Of course, outside Japan this is prohibitively expensive.

Get 40% OFF
Debesso
New in Town

Postby Debesso » June 2nd, 2006 8:19 am

Arigato Dan-san,

Thanks for the advice.. Yep the Unicom one is the only one I knew of, wonder if its the best... well if your satisfied with it thats good.. The fact that it forces you to learn the kanji is good news..

If you or anyone else out there are looking for past papers, check the libraries.. I dont know about other cities but in mine there is a Japan foundation where you can loan past papers... hopefully ppl havnt written all thru them... I HATE ppl who write all thru library books... HATE em, with capital letters!! :twisted:

Anyhoo.. If anyone has any other good advice, or just would like to tell us about their experiences of the 3kyuu exam id love to hear..

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » June 5th, 2006 3:55 am

One of the most popular text books is Minna No Nihongo. If you complete both book 1 and book 2, and learn the 300 or so kanji, you will know enough to master JLPT level 3. However, I actually use Genki for my studies. My teacher didn't really want me to use it though, but it's a lot more friendly. By the end of Genki 2 I aparently still won't know enough grammar for JLPT 3. I don't care though, by the time December comes around I'll be far beyond Genki 2 anyway.

Debesso
New in Town

Postby Debesso » June 5th, 2006 10:54 am

Bucko-san,

Im also using Genki.. Its a great book huh.. I highly reccomend it.. but it seems you are in exactly the same situation as me in that by the time we finish Genki2 there is still more to learn to be prepared for JLPT 3.

To bridge the gaps I am going to give the Unicom series a whirl and report how I go with it on this thread.

Also, hopefully JapanesePod 101's intermediate series of podcasts does some to cater for us JLPT3 ppl... hmm... thats an idea I should put to them... perhaps the broadcasts could be split into levels relating to JLPT... Just an idea..

Ja,

Matta

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » June 5th, 2006 1:07 pm

Debesso-san,

There's actually a Genki 3, although it's called 'An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese' written by the same people - the Japan Times.

http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/englis ... /0859.html

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 5th, 2006 2:38 pm

Bucko wrote:Debesso-san,

There's actually a Genki 3, although it's called 'An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese' written by the same people - the Japan Times.

http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/englis ... /0859.html

Yes, I worked my way through this one. But as I recall, it's too advanced for JLPT3. Most of the grammar structures, kanji and vocab are lower-level JLPT2.

It's definitely a good book to try out after you pass the san-kyuu though.

Debesso
New in Town

Postby Debesso » June 13th, 2006 7:51 am

yeh.. genki 3 will be my textbook for next year... Its more advanced than 3kyuu and not so specific for JLPT.

What im thinking ill do is try the Unicom 3 book and as it dosnt seem to have any grammar explanations ill be grabbing a "Dictionary of basic Japanese Grammar" as well.. Ill grab some trial tests too.. Ill be hooking into that in a couple of weeks... Ill report how things go and hopefully ill be reporting at the end of the year that I passed, and what I could have done better...

Is anyone else out there going to try for the test?

Belton
Expert on Something

Grammar Book

Postby Belton » June 16th, 2006 12:42 pm

I did 4 last year, am thinking of 3 this year.

For Grammar I found
Complete Master Series: Level 3 JLPT: Grammar Exercises
ISBN4-88319-354-3

This is a great little book that lists all the grammar points with examples then has JLPT like questions about them. Not so much a text book as a cram for exam book.

For practice tests I found
Komoku Seiri Hyojyun Mondaishu 3kyu
ISBN 4893582941
Mainly a set of linked practice tests
This points out your week points fairly quickly and gives you lots of practice. I used the 4kyu one last year and found it a really good way to revise and then plug the gaps. The tapes for the listening questions were vastly overpriced so I didn't bother with them. :( (£40 in UK!! about 4000円 in Japan)

Oh and the amount of kanji went up last year. This was a big surprise to me.
Most Internet sites have incorrect listings because they didn't update. (I was surprised to see what I thought were L3 kanji on last years L4 test. )

The offical papers are very useful. However I find it hard to get them going back very far. (I ponder stockpiling level 2 papers against the day I'll take it. 2 or 3 years from now!)
I think it's worth saving one paper so you can do a complete dry run against the clock before you sit the test.

Ganbatte minna san!

Alan
Expert on Something

Re: Grammar Book

Postby Alan » June 16th, 2006 4:50 pm

Belton wrote:I did 4 last year, am thinking of 3 this year.
Oh and the amount of kanji went up last year. This was a big surprise to me.
Most Internet sites have incorrect listings because they didn't update. (I was surprised to see what I thought were L3 kanji on last years L4 test. )

I'm glad you mentioned that as I didn't know :shock:

shiranakatta. Itta kara, ureshii desu.
知らなかった。言ったから、うれしいです。

じゃ ね
アラン

/Edit: Looks at above. Ho Hum. I can post kana and kanji on my Mac, but not on my PC. The easy answer to to go use my mac.

Curious - it looks Ok when I reedit it, but it doesn't display right here.

/Edit - now it's working - I did nothing. Must be a glitch in the board (I hope)

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 16th, 2006 6:22 pm

there are an extra 38 on level 3

http://www.jlptstudy.com

seems to have a definitive list taken from the official guide for exam setters.

theresachan
Been Around a Bit

Complete Master Series 3 級

Postby theresachan » July 25th, 2006 9:11 am

I'm planning to take the 3級 日本語能力試験 at the end of 2006 too.

The text book that I'm using is
- 'Complete Master Series - Level 3 - The Japanese Language Proficiency Test: Grammar Exercises'.
- Published by 3A Corporation IN 2005
- ISBN: 4-88319-354-3 C0081
+ I have already finished all the exercises in that book. It's very easy to understand with quite a few exercises but I wish they have more examples.

I also work with
- 'The 2004 Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 3 and 4 Questions and Correct Answers' by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services and The Japan Foundation'
- ISBN: 4-89358-586-X C3081
+ Probably the closest to exam questions you can get!

And there are 2 more exercise books that I am working my way through but they are Japanese-Chinese (I was born in HK but living in New Zealand) so I guess they won't be useful to you.

kareman
New in Town

Great free resource

Postby kareman » October 30th, 2006 7:30 am

I know I'm cutting it a bit fine, but this site has some really useful stuff to help prepare you for the test. http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Download.htm (scroll down to the bottom)
It has kanji and vocabulary lists divided into each level, and example sentences from all the past exams which I use as practice sentences. The best part is it's free!
頑張ってね!

aldergrove
New in Town

Postby aldergrove » November 10th, 2006 2:07 am

This is how to improve your kanji!

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/

Specifically for the JPLT tests! Good luck.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 23rd, 2007 1:25 pm

aldergrove wrote:This is how to improve your kanji!

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/

Specifically for the JPLT tests! Good luck.

Get a prior year's test booklet. It will show you what's on the test, and you can take it to see where your weak points are.

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/catalog ... 16499.html

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”