JLPT 2008

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

terrysimons
Been Around a Bit

JLPT 2008

Postby terrysimons » January 8th, 2008 7:59 am

Anyone going for the JLPT in 2008?

I've started studying for JLPT 4.

I've started by picking up some of the free materials from the Meguro Language Center website here: http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Download.htm

I like the materials provided. They have data from the 2005 test, as well as some vocab differences from previous years (though some are missing due to copyright issues) but overall it looks pretty good.

The things I like best so far are the worksheet-type quizzes they provide.

Can people who are familiar with the test and/or other JLPT study materials take a look and comment on the site?

As with most people, my biggest problem area will likely be the listening, but my vocabulary is so bad right now that I am focusing on that to start with.

I'll probably take the test in San Francisco at SFSU - It's one of the closest centers and I've been to SF a few times.

chat_noir
New in Town

Postby chat_noir » January 21st, 2008 10:05 pm

I should like to take level 3 this year.
However, getting to London wll be a problem, as I would require my mother to take me, and allow me to pay for the test.
I know what she will say.
'I hate London, it's grotty and dangerous'
and
'it's a waste of money, it won't be of any use.'

Get 40% OFF
elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » January 29th, 2008 2:19 pm

I went for Level 3 last year, this year I'm going for Level 2

already studying for the Kanji, only 30 pages left !

:D

blueheat
New in Town

Postby blueheat » February 7th, 2008 4:13 am

I wasn't quite ready to do level 4 last december, so I'm aiming for level 3 this year. I know I'll have to work hard for it, but I'm really enjoying studying lately, so it's all good!

mofokuban
New in Town

Postby mofokuban » February 7th, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm going for it, since I'll be at a University for next year (2009). I'll probably take it in Chicago. I'm not sure what level I'm going for... but it will probably be 3 or 4.

rainlong
New in Town

Postby rainlong » March 19th, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm going for it!

I've always intended on taking Level 4, and I've been studying for years and years now, so it will be nice to feel like all this studying has paid off with a nice shiny certificate.

A site that I've found helpful, along with the one already mentioned, is www.jlptstudy.com. There you can find lots of the worksheet style practice pages, the years go back into the 90's.

If anyone else has any other helpful websites, let us know!

takonoma
New in Town

Test preparation techniques - on a ramble

Postby takonoma » March 21st, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks for the web site recommendations, people. It's always nice to try a new resource - helps things sink in a bit more when you do the same thing, but in a slightly different way.

I'm taking the 2級 again this year.
I didn't pass it in 2007, with my main problem being reading. Too slooow. Too many kanji I just didn't know. It was my first time to attempt a JLPT, and I realised a few months beforehand that I was unlikely to pass at that level, but it proved to be good experience, and a very good motivator. Since the exam, I've been working hard on reading, and am getting faster already. And, really ENJOYING it! Reading in another language feels like flying!!!

Some thoughts on the proficiency exam: Before taking the test, I used various websites with kanji flash cards, beside my own homemade ones, and other study tools. There are so many of these flash card resources available. But, to be honest, sitting down with a list and working your way through it isn't a very good way to learn. I used this method when I first started studying kanji, and rote-memorised all of them for 4級 and 3級. That was fine for basic kanji, with a very manageable number. But the number of kanji has a blow-out for levels 2, and 1. I had a tough time remembering the less frequent readings for some of those kanji. And many look quite similar, and share similar radicals. If you have never really used them, it's easy to get mixed up. The proficiency test does its best to catch you out on those points. Also, a lot of flash cards give a one-word translation, and a few example words, but that gives you no idea to the way those words are used, what kind of collocations they appear in, and their level of formality or nuance. This makes them hard to use in real life, and so you either end up producing stilted, nonsensical sentences, or don't use them, and quickly forget them. In levels 1 and 2, it seems a substantial amount of the vocabulary of the proficiency test tends to be used in literary rather than spoken Japanese. Feel free to disagree with me, but I believe if you try to learn from flash-cards, much of it just doesn't stick. Even if you do succeed in rote-learning a few thousand readings, does this equal real learning? Flash-cards are a revision tool. It is better to learn kanji through context, i.e. reading. With repeated exposure, you build up your vocabulary in a more natural and meaningful way. You also stand a much better chance of taking it from passive to active knowledge. What do other people think about this issue?

Also, I'm spending a lot of time on learning and applying sentence patterns, because I realised after the exam that they are vital to dealing quickly with the test. Not just learning them from a list, but with the assistance of a good textbook to provide context, and a good teacher to help me iron out the kinks from what I end up saying and writing. Studying sentence patterns has been surprisingly helpful with my speaking, too. Things are coming out a bit more smoothly and with a bit more confidence, I feel.

I know I'll get there. Anyway, the more we know, the more fun it gets, right?

By the way, I was a bit disappointed with the way the listening test was conducted (I took the test in Azamino, Kanagawa). In a room with hundreds of people, the small portable CD player up the front of the room was difficult to catch from my seat at the back of the room, and especially with people shifting about in their seats and moving papers. At one point, noise from outside of the room could be clearly heard, and so they replayed that section of the test. I couldn't help but think that surely a CD player with better quality sound than that could have been organised. Did anyone else have an experience similar to this?

goeman
New in Town

Postby goeman » March 26th, 2008 12:43 am

Well... although I have never taken the JLPT, it's on my life's To-Do list and it looks very intimidating, at least the higher levels.

However, I believe I have found a gem which may prove essential in learning massive amounts of Kanji. There is a book called "A Japanese Reader" by Robert Miller, which covers systematically all commonly used kanji, starting with basic Kana readings and moving up to newspaper clippings about abstract and real topics. There are also some old-fashioned... uh... stuff... which exposes the reader to the more archaic styles of japanese.

I'm not affiliated with the book, or the author, or any sort of sales group etc... but after seeing a list of the kanji that one needs to get to even level 2 (I am actually to timid to view the kanji list for JLPT level 1), the first thing that popped into my mind was that book, and I just wanted to make it known for anyone who wanted an extra study tool.

Good luck all!

christebbe
New in Town

A Way to Study Kanji

Postby christebbe » April 24th, 2008 1:30 pm

I work one-on-one with a private tutor who goes over the Minna no Nihongo chapters with me (I plan on taking Level 3 in December, 2008). Also, I write short essays every week, usually about 150 kana and kanji. He corrects the grammar and usage for me.

I have found that writing short journal entries in Japanese really helps me learn the kanji.

Now...I just have to practice listening more!

Regards,
C.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”