a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Verbs, verbs, verbs (HELP)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

aldergrove
New in Town

Verbs, verbs, verbs (HELP)

Postby aldergrove » February 9th, 2007 3:31 am

My major problem is finding the stem of Japanese verbs. In addition, sometimes I know the masu form, but can't figure out the dictionary form. I remember there was a podcast about this too, but I can't find it. Can someone tell me the tricks, or point me to a good website for help, or both? Thanks.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Verbs, verbs, verbs (HELP)

Postby Bueller_007 » February 9th, 2007 3:54 am

aldergrove wrote:My major problem is finding the stem of Japanese verbs. In addition, sometimes I know the masu form, but can't figure out the dictionary form. I remember there was a podcast about this too, but I can't find it. Can someone tell me the tricks, or point me to a good website for help, or both? Thanks.

For type-one verbs, the -masu stem is created by changing the final "-u" of the word into "-i", i.e. "yomu" -> "yomi", "oyogu" -> "oyogi"

For type-two verbs, the -masu stem is created by dropping the final "ru". i.e. "ochiru" -> "ochi"

Suru's stem is "shi" and kuru's stem is "ki".

Some polite verbs have an irregular "ru"->"i" stem formation. i.e. "irrasharu" -> "irrashai", "kudasaru" -> "kudasai"

P.S. I always confuse the terms "class-one" and "class-two", so the terms above may be screwed as well.

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Re: Verbs, verbs, verbs (HELP)

Postby annie » February 9th, 2007 7:02 am

Bueller_007 wrote:P.S. I always confuse the terms "class-one" and "class-two", so the terms above may be screwed as well.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't know which is which.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » February 9th, 2007 9:22 pm

You are right!

グループI動詞: (五段動詞)
降る→降ります
言う→言います
取る→取ります

グループII動詞: (一段動詞)
止める→止めます
見る→見ます

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 9th, 2007 9:54 pm

I learned them as go-dan (five-steps, change tsu to chi, su to shi, mu to mi, etc.) and ichi-dan (one-step, "drop ru"), and have never had a problem keeping them distinct, so I suggest everyone learns these terms instead of the more ambiguous type 1/2. Strictly speaking, when you encounter an unfamiliar word in its 〜ます form it is often impossible to reverse-conjugate. While it doesn't take long to guess, it is inconvenient... it's always better to learn a new verb in its dictionary form.

GoddessCarlie
New in Town

Postby GoddessCarlie » February 28th, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks Psy, that's a great way of looking at them. For me, I was always taught them as "u verbs" and "ru verbs" (opposed to type 1/2). That way it is easy for me to remember which group is which.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » March 1st, 2007 6:35 am

Actually, that's not why they're called go-dan. They're called go-dan because there are five different roots, where as ichi-dan only has one.

i.e.

落ちる [ichi-dan]=
ない
ます

よう

話す [go-dan]=
ない
ます

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”