Page 1 of 1

Japanese Clocks

Posted: April 25th, 2006 10:41 pm
by SuiteOne
Hi everyone!

I've been looking for information on old Japanese clocks. It's hard for me to explain because I'm not exactly sure how to describe them! I think they were in use during the Meiji Era, and the clock's face seemed to be divided into many sections, with a horizontal division signifying A.M. and P.M.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :lol:
Better yet, can anyone give me information about them?

I'm very curious because these clocks were beautiful!

Thank you!


Japanese Clocks

Posted: April 26th, 2006 12:05 am
by Sakura
Hi Nicole,
I may be wrong :oops: , but I think the clocks you are talking about is called "wadokei" (和時計; Japanese clock).
I found some pictures of them here (information is in Japanese though).
Here are some English explanations about wadokei and other old clocks.
I have never seen one myself, but I think they are beautiful, too :P

Posted: April 26th, 2006 12:35 am
by SuiteOne

Thank you so much, Sakura! Those are exactly the clocks I was talking about!
Now I can do some more research on "wadokei!" =D


Posted: April 26th, 2006 12:47 am
by Sakura
Yokatta! :D

Posted: March 17th, 2007 2:16 am
by Ulver_684
Any site where I can buy Sand Clocks :?