a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kyudo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Gregster
Been Around a Bit

Kyudo

Postby Gregster » January 15th, 2007 2:18 am

There's been a few threads on this forum about swordsmanship. I'd like to offer another...kyudo (Japanese archery).

I've been training for just over a year now, and I love it. It's far less aggressive than some of the other arts (a little more like aikido in that respect, perhaps). I hate kiai-ing, so that's another nice aspect for me. It's highly technical - the smallest error in technique will throw off your aim - and demands intense concentration (while paradoxically also requiring that you empty your mind while shooting...go figure! :wink: )

If you haven't tried it, I thoroughly recommend you check out kyudo, because it's hard to explain how much satisfaction you can get from hitting a small target with an arrow!

Are there any other kyudoka amongst the listeners?

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » January 20th, 2007 3:25 pm

No, I don't practice kyudo (i'd like to). But I do kyokushinkai karate. Why don't you like kiai? I didn't like it when i started karate 7 years ago, but that was because I was embarassed or something like that.
Now I see it is very useful for controlling your breath. Ibuki seems even worse. It sounds awful, especially when you're not good at it. Now I'm used to it. (kind of...;)

But there is one thing that is really annoying me: the way they say 'osu'. In Holland everybody (as far as i know) says 'ush'. It's almost like 'ushi' which means 'cow'.
And they're ush-ing all the time during training.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese History & Tradition”