a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Weekly schedule for beginner

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

freeformd
New in Town

Weekly schedule for beginner

Postby freeformd » October 8th, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi, I'm Nathan, I'm new here so here's a bit about what I'm doing to study Japanese and why I want to do it.
I am determined and really want to get myself all the way to the top in learning Japanese, I never thought I'd learn a new language as an adult but after going to Tokyo in May, I knew we would keep coming back so it is only right for me to study the language which will also help me make the absolute most out of my journeys to Japan.
I had been listening to Jpod lessons for a few months before my trip mainly just listening to Absolute Beginner (in my car) with no writing or reading. It did help me on holiday but I wish I knew more now, but we did quite well though.
But since coming back I decided I really wanted to go for it! I enjoy it and I really want to accomplish something like this in my life, so I have been studying since about June just using the Jpod audios. Recently I have been doing more reading/writing and exploring the website more, I do enjoy the flashcards! I can read/write both Kana's, but still quiz myself on them so I can get quicker at reading them. Kanji isn't something I've really explored yet though. Apologies for the long intro about myself but my question is about a weekly schedule. I would like to cover everything each week to progress at a good rate. Here's my current schedule:

Monday to Friday
5:30 to 6:00am - listen to jpod audio lesson while sorting out lunch for work
7:30 to 8:00am - listen to jpod audio lessons while driving to work
12:00 to 12:30pm - Use the jpod Android app for listening, reading and writing
4:15 to 4:30pm - listen to audio lessons while going to pick up my wife
4:30 to 5:00pm - do flashcards on my phone, listen to lessons or do some reading/writing (depends on how I feel) - while waiting for my wife.
6:00 to 7:00pm - At the moment I'm enjoying the flashcards, but mainly just to recognise the audio and the two Kana's not really looking at Kanji yet.

Tuesday Evenings
5:30 to 6:15pm - listen to jpod driving to Japanese class
6:30 to 8:30pm - Japanese for beginners class - using the Genki Book - this class will also help me gain speaking confidence I need
8:30 to 9:00pm - jpod lessons while driving home from lesson

Weekends
Times vary but I can study on each day for about 3 hours or more doing flashcards, jpod audio lessons/reading/writing (using the pdf's), and using other apps on my devices too. I also have a hobby which I want to keep going so I do that on the weekends too. I also have a wonderful wife who has to put up with all this, but she is really supportive, so I'm very lucky :D

I think I need to put studying Kanji in my schedule, where can I start with this? Not just with reading but also writing, I seem to bypass Kanji when I see it and go straight to the Kana's. I know jpod has a lot on it, so please can you advise where I can start on jpod or other places?
I am also thinking of starting some Skype lessons too so I can speak a bit more than I do at the moment and also gain more confidence.

Any help would be great!
Regards
ネーサン - フリーフオルムデルシオン

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Weekly schedule for beginner

Postby community.japanese » October 9th, 2015 7:58 am

Nathan san,
Konnichiwa. :)
Wow, you are really keen to study Japanese.
I am so impressed. :flower:
Everyday learning, building vocabularies and having a review is important for language learning and you have been doing these.
Regarding kanji lessons, please refer to the pages below.
http://www.japanesepod101.com/2009/01/14/video-13-kanji-video-lesson-1-japanese-kanji-and-trees/

http://www.japanesepod101.com/2006/03/13/video-5-kanji-closer-up/
Regarding skype lessons, we can provide you with them if you want so please let us know.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
freeformd
New in Town

Postby freeformd » October 9th, 2015 4:26 pm

こんばんは、スカイプレッソンはすごいです!はい、おねがいします!I would definitely like to have Skype lessons with the Jpod team. I have never done anything like this before, so I will be very nervous, but this is the only way I will achieve my goal with great teachers and gain the confidence I need, so let's do it :akushu:
Please advise me on what I can do to make this happen?
ありがとうございます!
ネーサン - フリーフオルムデルシオン

freeformd
New in Town

Postby freeformd » October 10th, 2015 3:55 pm

community.japanese wrote:Regarding skype lessons, we can provide you with them if you want so please let us know.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Hi, would you be able to advise me on what I need to do to organise Skype lessons with you? I am very interested in this? Would I need to be on the Premium Plus plan? ありがとうございます.

I was playing Silent Hill: Homecoming today and had a go at translating just a small sentence in my head:

English version - "Alex, what are you doing here?"
わたしのにほんご version - アレクスさんはここなにをしますか

Hope to hear form you soon :)
Regards
Nathan.

lauralanda
Expert on Something

Postby lauralanda » October 14th, 2015 1:41 am

Hi freeformd,

Thank you for posting!
We are glad to hear that you are interested in upgrading your subscription.
Please, send us an email to
Including your username and the information you need to know about the Skype lessons.

Kind regards,
Laura
Team JapanesePod101.com

bcravitz
New in Town

Postby bcravitz » December 1st, 2015 11:33 pm

freeformd wrote:I had been listening to Jpod lessons for a few months before my trip mainly just listening to Absolute Beginner (in my car) with no writing or reading. It did help me on holiday but I wish I knew more now, but we did quite well though.
But since coming back I decided I really wanted to go for it! I enjoy it and I really want to accomplish something like this in my life, so I have been studying since about June just using the Jpod audios.

Wow Nathan - That's quite the commitment.

I was proud of myself for finally taking the first step and signing up for the site about 15 mins ago. Ha ha.

I'm also interested in Skype video as I feel that will be important.
I started watching the the first beginner lesson re: ha vs wa and already at the end she asked the viewer to read a sentence. :( I have quite a while to go....

I too love Japan and spend quite a bit of time there for business and know how valuable it will be.

Here we go... :)

-B.

freeformd
New in Town

Postby freeformd » December 3rd, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi bcravitz, Nice to meet you. I have found jpod to be the best place to learn Japanese. They have so much content it is unbelievable! At first I found it overwhelming but seem to have found a rhythm to my studying schedule and I don't want to miss anything. So I've started from the beginning reading the lessons notes properly, just to make I have taken in what I've heard on the Newbie series (I've listened to them loads). I have been able to have basic email exchanges with my tutor which has really surprised me too!
Kanji is another story for me at the moment (not really done much on that yet). I'm mainly concentrating on gaining a good understanding of the sentence structures, a good vocab (Jpod flashcards are brilliant), listening and making sure I can say things correctly (after many attempts). But it all comes together, just like what Peter Galante says. I'm going to buy some Japanese drama DVDs so I can hear the various politeness levels and also regular speech too.
I really enjoy doing this each day and don't mind listening to things again and again either.

Good luck with your studying
Nathan.
ネーサン - フリーフオルムデルシオン

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » December 4th, 2015 11:02 am

bcravitz san, Nathan san,
konnichiwa. :)
Thank you for your comments on us.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”