a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Holiday to Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bjornerik.thoresen_498532
New in Town

Holiday to Japan

Postby bjornerik.thoresen_498532 » April 12th, 2014 12:51 am

I was hoping to get some guide on where to stay in tokyo on my 14 days holiday, Since Tokyo has so many diffrent distrcts.

My plan is to take a trip in July next year(2015)

I am 30 year old man and not a party boy. I kinda wanna walk around and look at stores and eat some japanese food like ramen,sushi and even try some of the more "stranger" foods. At night i wanna be able to go out and get a drink and meet people, maybe even get some friends i can keep contact with.I always have like japanese girls so if i would be able to meet a girl that would be a big bonus(but i am only staying 2 weeks so).

Also i was wondering is it possible to find your way around Tokyo with only english?I am learning japanese now but.... :D

I was thinking of Osaka to but dont know if that is better for me. What do you think is the best place to go for the first time in Japan? just wonna get a good exsperiance for my first time.

Love
Bjørn

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Holiday to Japan

Postby community.japanese » April 14th, 2014 5:04 am

Bjørn san,

I am from Tokyo so I think Tokyo is exiting.
After FIFA world cup, there are many English signs in the cities.
If you get lost, you can go to police boxes and ask the direction to the police.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
bjornerik.thoresen_498532
New in Town

Postby bjornerik.thoresen_498532 » April 14th, 2014 3:03 pm

ahh thats nice, allways scary when you come to a BIG city ( when i live in a small city) if you get lost :D

patrick_harnett
Been Around a Bit

Postby patrick_harnett » September 5th, 2014 8:29 pm

Two weeks in Tokyo great - there are lots of options and I used to stay in Asasaka (and I took the time to visit Peter at Jpod101). Longest we stayed in Tokyo we had four 16 year old girls in tow and did a few day trips/tours. Now-days we don't spend much time there as we have made friends elsewhere (we have been twice a year for the last five years).

Have you thought about travelling anywhere else? It gets a little trickier the further away from the big cities you go, but there are lots of really terrific places to go, see, things to do (Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara). You can also get custom tours that help with the tricky aspects and will make sure you get special interests catered for (I organised a car racing tour for some friends last year).

Patrick

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » September 9th, 2014 6:12 am

Patrick san,

You had a really good time in Japan.
Which part in Japan are you going to the next?

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

patrick_harnett
Been Around a Bit

Postby patrick_harnett » September 9th, 2014 7:00 pm

community.japanese wrote:Patrick san,

You had a really good time in Japan.
Which part in Japan are you going to the next?

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Next tour is Kagoshima (to visit the volcano), Hakata/Fukuoka (taking wife to the sumo), Nagoya (for the long holiday weekend - catching up with some people we met a few visits ago - we had a great time at the baseball with them in April), and then back to Kyoto and our favourite (tiny) karaoke bar and see our friends there (and replace the bottle-keep with a fresh one).

One of the great things having been to lots of places (and back to many of them) is that it is a great opportunity to practice and to make use of the hours of study. I noticed the last two times (October'13 and April'14) that the kanji is making a lot more sense and having more words in my vocab really helps (my grammar is terrible). We also tend to travel away from the big cities where it is easy to get by with only a little Japanese, and future plans for northern Honshu and the more travelling on the west coast will be a good challenge.

We also end up helping a lot of people while travelling - and after considering options of living/working in Japan we decided hosting tours would be more practical as it would take a long time for me to get to the stage of being able to do the technical work I do to a fluent written standard. (We have a little company that does tours for people. :) )

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » September 13th, 2014 1:31 am

Patrick san

That should be a great trip.
I hope you could have a great time there again.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jdddedcvc_502344
New in Town

Postby jdddedcvc_502344 » October 29th, 2014 1:54 pm

One of the great things having been

bloritsch
Been Around a Bit

Postby bloritsch » October 31st, 2014 7:38 pm

Bj0rn, if you want a quieter part of Tokyo to stay in I recommend looking into Shimokitazawa. I don't think there's any hotels in that part of Tokyo, but there are a few websites that let you rent apartments for a few days or a couple weeks. My family and I just got back from a vacation in Tokyo and Osaka, which we planned ourselves. Shimokitazawa had a really cool vibe, and I was surprised just how popular the place could be at night. It's a small station, but a major stop so even the express trains stop there.

Most of the train systems we used had English, or at least romaji with a couple exceptions such as older trains on the Keio Inokashira line. By then we knew how many stops that we needed. I really don't think you'll have too much trouble. Everyone we ran into was really patient with us.

Between where we stayed in Tokyo and Osaka, we had more food options in Tokyo that didn't require a train ride. I can recommend a few. Osaka had the only restaurant (izakaya) we actually ate at that didn't have any English or a menu with pictures. Between my broken Japanese and the chef's broken English we managed to have the best food we ate on the trip--which really is saying something.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 2nd, 2014 7:17 am

bloritschさん、

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Visiting Japan”