a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Irasshaimase!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Karen
New in Town

Irasshaimase!

Postby Karen » August 22nd, 2006 2:20 pm

What is the smoothest and most natural way to respond to rousing cries of "Irasshaimase?"

Konnichiwa? Doumo? Make eye contact and nod?

I always find myself a little unsure of what to do, and I think I must look like a deer in headlights. :shock:

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 22nd, 2006 4:49 pm

The smoothest and best way? Do absolutely nothing! As soon as you acknowledge the greeting you've blown it...

Join by May 6th
Nate
Been Around a Bit

Why do nothing?

Postby Nate » August 22nd, 2006 7:21 pm

Airth san, why do nothing? What is the cultural reason, if any, for this? WOuldn't it be polite to at least acknowledge their greeting.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 22nd, 2006 9:31 pm

Well at least japanese people nod and make eye contact in Jdramas as a response to that.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » August 22nd, 2006 11:05 pm

Store workers don't expect you to acknolwedge when they say "irasshaimase" nor when they say "arigatou gozaimashita" when you leave. At least not verbally. It would probably be awkward for both of you if you did. Though some subtle, non-verbal acknowledgement would probably be ok. I don't know if there's some deep cultural reason why it's that way other than they just don't do it.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 23rd, 2006 12:57 am

OK, so my initial response was somewhat flippant, but I stand by what I say from 6 years of experience. There is nothing wrong with giving a nod and making eye contact apart from the possibility of surprising the person who greeted you.

As a general observation, whenever you start interacting too politely with people in the service industry you put them in an uncomfortable situation. You have to be conscious of not beating their level of politeness. I find that dealings with shop and restaurant staff in particular tend to be carried out in a perfunctory manner by many customers; something I've never personally liked about the culture.

Jockzon, when you've seen people nodding in JDramas were they regular customers of the shop or restaurant? I think once you are familiar with somewhere, you would probably want to acknowledge the staff in a more respectful way.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 23rd, 2006 5:15 am

Actually, it was on an airplane when the passangers went on and off.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 23rd, 2006 6:35 am

Actually, it was on an airplane when the passangers went on and off.

Fair enough. I would say that's a slightly different situation; it's rather difficult to show no acknowledgment when you are walking right in front of someone, or when you have direct contact. I was thinking of a more open area where most likely the majority of people would show no recognition of the greeting.

Karen
New in Town

Postby Karen » August 23rd, 2006 3:01 pm

Ah, that was very illuminating about not "beating their level of politeness."

Yes, I also find it incredibly difficult not to respond to "arigatou gozaimashita" when I leave a store -- it's like having a phone conversation where neither person wants to hang up first.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 23rd, 2006 7:10 pm

Yeah it is hard because like in sweden the costumer also says thanks because he/she has also got something... At least you could answer with a nod there as well??

Return to “General Japanese Culture”