a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Dry cleaners

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Dry cleaners

Postby untmdsprt » August 20th, 2007 12:30 am

How much of a pain is it to take your clothes to a dry cleaners? Do they have the Dryel sheets you can put in a dryer?

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » August 20th, 2007 8:38 pm

I brought a box with me when I moved there, but I believe you can buy them there also. If you want a dry cleaners, they are pretty convenient, usually near a station.

Get 40% OFF
seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » August 20th, 2007 10:56 pm

Dry Cleaners (クリーニング or ドライクリーニング) are EVERYWHERE, and not too expensive. There ARE things for dry cleaning in dryers, but realize that dryers are uncommon here in households (even in some laundromats), so you might not be able to use the sheets even if you can find them.

Sean

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 22nd, 2007 11:28 am

I knew that households didn't have a dryer, but laundromats?!?

Some friends have been telling me that dry cleaners are convenient to take your clothes to.

My best bet is just to stay away from all dry clean only clothes!

JonB
Expert on Something

Laundromats do have dryers

Postby JonB » September 3rd, 2007 9:35 am

Since seeing this post I have been peering in laudromats and so far all have dryers. Mind you there are far more dry cleaners than laundromats around. Most seem to have lines of salary men outside on a Saturday morning clutching their 5 white shirts.

It is also quite common to have a washer dryer at home - at least I do and there was plenty to chose from when we went shopping 4 years ago.

seanolan
Expert on Something

Re: Laundromats do have dryers

Postby seanolan » September 3rd, 2007 11:50 pm

JonB wrote:Since seeing this post I have been peering in laudromats and so far all have dryers. Mind you there are far more dry cleaners than laundromats around. Most seem to have lines of salary men outside on a Saturday morning clutching their 5 white shirts.

It is also quite common to have a washer dryer at home - at least I do and there was plenty to chose from when we went shopping 4 years ago.

There's a huge difference between life in Tokyo and that in other places in Japan. Many homes in the inaka area I am in don't have wiring capable of handling a dryer. In addition, even in Tokyo, the back of an apartment building being covered in balconies of full clotheslines is a very common sight. Washers are common in homes, but dryers are not as common.

Sean

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » September 4th, 2007 4:16 am

maybe it's a family thing? I don't live in one of those rabbit hutches they call apartments and have a wife that washes things even if they have only been worn for 30 minutes - definitely a necessity in my family.

True we can't run the oven and the dryer at the same time. And also when I plug the iron in the lights dim. Be interesting to see the fuze board on the house we are building as I have asked for a lot of power points!!! They initially put two in for where the TV is going - let me see TV, DVD, VCR, Cable, Modem for POD (never used)...

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » October 10th, 2007 7:57 am

I think taking your stuff to the dry cleaners is easy as pie.  When you go you just need a few words like nori (starch), sen(line), shiagari (delivery date).

I mean it's dry cleaning, how hard can it get?

I would say for your regular laundry, just wash it. I don't know anyone who takes their regular laundry to a dry cleaners unless they live in NY.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » October 10th, 2007 10:20 pm

I've bought mesh bags to put the more delicate clothes in, and plan to wash everything. Now if I can only find something similar to Woolite.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”