a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Lessons on Japanese history

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

watermen
Expert on Something

Lessons on Japanese history

Postby watermen » November 4th, 2007 4:53 am

I would like to suggest Jpod101 to start lessons on Japanese history, while teaching Japanese, teach history too. I believe one of the best way to learn a language is also to learn the history of that country, as history and culture inter-relate very strongly.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 8th, 2007 9:42 am

(by the way, this thread should be in "lesson suggestions....")

i love japanese history (well, certain eras in particular), and i'd love to go into more detail, however i think it's a little out of our scope of expertise.

however, on 11/23 we have a story which references some aspects of japanese history. the conversation is a comedy, but there's even some archaic japanese used in it. so you can get a feel for the sound of japanese spoken at the end of the Edo Era.

and as long as i'm around, we'll continue to drop little history references here and there.

actually, there are tons of little jokes in the intros and names of some characters in the dialogs which are references to japanese history. for example, one conversation (i forget which lesson) was between Hidetada and Oeyo - the names of the second Tokugawa Shogun and his wife.
Last edited by markystar on November 8th, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 32% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » November 8th, 2007 2:31 pm

Only a person completely into Japanese culture would even be able to say that they were only into certain periods!

I've always been interested in the Tokugawa Shogunate though. Everyone says how ancient and unbroken the Imperial Family is, but for a long time they weren't in charge, were they? じゃない?

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 8th, 2007 3:53 pm

yeah, i'm happy you put it that way... the imperial family basically sucks. and the 3 successive shogunates were spawned by the principal that the imperial court was inept. the tokugawa were the most skillful ruling a "roughly unified" japan.

the tokugawa shogunate also neatly shut out the imperial court (and did a better job than the ashikaga shogunate did, as they came out with a bad rep after it). the court was effectually irrelevant until they were used as an excuse to elevate the status of choshu, and satsuma (and eventually tosa). but the court's finest moments were in the meiji era. and the hight of their power was after that and ... unfortunately it was what got them into the most trouble.... once again inept.

unbroken line, but...

もう…
alright, both of you guys got me worked up about this one...
give me some time to think about how to do it... 宜しくお願いします!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » November 9th, 2007 11:07 am

I suggest a conversation between the first Tokugawa shogun and the emperor. Or between the American captain (Macarthur? The first foreigner who 'opened up' Japan...I forgot his name!) and the first people he met when he landed. Or the story of how the imperial family started... the first emperor fought off the Mongolian fleet didn't he? Maybe a dialogue between him and some shipmates... "Harrr.... matey, I spies me some Mongols off the port bow..." sorry that's European sailors isn't it.

I've just trivialised a turning point in Japan's history, which isn't really my idea though. Maybe it would be hard to boil down a significant historical event into a 30 second Beginner lesson season 2 dialogue, but I"m sure you can do it!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 10th, 2007 1:12 pm

I suggest a conversation between the first Tokugawa shogun and the emperor.

it requires a LOT of background knowledge! (ask your gf, it's not so simple, but...)
keep pushing, you and watermen, i'm listening very closely!

Or between the American captain (Macarthur? The first foreigner who 'opened up' Japan...I forgot his name!)

macarthur?
you mean perry, right?
11/23, 聴いてください!

Or the story of how the imperial family started... the first emperor fought off the Mongolian fleet didn't he?

the mongolian fleet... that's in the middle of the kamakura bakufu.... and the emperor had nothing to do with it...

but, you just gave me a good idea..., a really good idea!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » November 10th, 2007 1:15 pm

"Harrr.... matey, I spies me some Mongols off the port bow..." sorry that's European sailors isn't it.

btw - as of next year, jpod will be participating in Talk Like a Pirate Day.
and i don't think you trivialized anything.
history is the past so it's always fair game.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 14th, 2007 2:17 am

markystar wrote:
"Harrr.... matey, I spies me some Mongols off the port bow..." sorry that's European sailors isn't it.

btw - as of next year, jpod will be participating in Talk Like a Pirate Day.
and i don't think you trivialized anything.
history is the past so it's always fair game.

Marky-san! :wink:

How about a Japanese history lesson about the Japanese National Anthem like my above topic:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2164

I'm really interest in know more because I might turn Japanese (go for the Japan citizenship) when I stay there. 8) :D

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » November 24th, 2007 2:34 pm

maxiewawa wrote:I suggest a conversation between the first Tokugawa shogun and the emperor. Or between the American captain (Macarthur? The first foreigner who 'opened up' Japan...I forgot his name!) and the first people he met when he landed. Or the story of how the imperial family started... the first emperor fought off the Mongolian fleet didn't he? Maybe a dialogue between him and some shipmates... "Harrr.... matey, I spies me some Mongols off the port bow..." sorry that's European sailors isn't it.

I've just trivialised a turning point in Japan's history, which isn't really my idea though. Maybe it would be hard to boil down a significant historical event into a 30 second Beginner lesson season 2 dialogue, but I"m sure you can do it!

General MacArthur was involved in both world wars and the Korean War. Perhaps KClass did a lesson.

Return to “Feature Requests”