a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Indefinite Pronouns?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Indefinite Pronouns?

Postby Javizy » May 17th, 2007 11:26 pm

I've been listening for over three months now and I'm very happy with the lesson content and my progress. I think it's great that this site offers not just first-class learning material, but also a constant source of inspiration, which certainly isn't an easy thing to find.

Hoooowever, there are a couple of things I'm really unclear on that I don't believe have been covered in much detail (at least in Beginner S1 & S2), and those would be indefinite pronouns and the word ever/never.

I think a lesson on indefinite pronouns, with a particular focus on 'something' and 'nothing' (for example, can they be used as nouns and adverbs like in English?) would be beneficial to everyone, since I find it hard to survive without these, especially when you consider the frequency of their use in everyday speech.

宜しくお願いします :D

Jim

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 18th, 2007 8:22 am

何か = something
何も = in a negative sentence means "nothing", in a positive sentence means "everything"

Though I don't think I've ever heard 何も used in a positive sentence. I usually hear words like 全部 or 全て used for "everything."

In general, when these particles are are attached to interrogatives, they have the following meanings:

~か = indefinite ("someone", "something", etc)
~も = all encompassing ("everything/nothing", "everywhere/nowhere", etc)
~でも = any ("anyone", "anywhere", etc)
Last edited by Jason on May 19th, 2007 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 18th, 2007 12:18 pm

I have heard a lot of these words in the lessons, but I was after an all-in-one reference on formation to solidify things. ありがとうございました。

falchion321_498872
New in Town

Re: Indefinite Pronouns?

Postby falchion321_498872 » April 20th, 2014 6:58 pm

I am going to bump this 2007 post. Found it on google. So yeah, I was searching through jpod lessons and grammar points and vocabulary, and it seems indefinite pronouns did not have their own lesson. It has kind of been sprinkled in very few lessons(Well actually only one lesson out of all the lessons dialogue archive uses 誰か, and 誰も has never been said once). There has been emphasis on the word 誰 but not any of the indefinite pronouns such as 誰か or 誰も, or any of the other indefinite pronouns.

I got interested in this grammar point because while skimming over the 1st semester japanese textbook taught at my college, indefinite pronouns was the grammar point taught in the third lesson! (first lesson taught pronuniation).
So, I think it is particularly important to have emphasis on this grammar point.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Indefinite Pronouns?

Postby community.japanese » April 21st, 2014 3:30 am

falchion321 san,
Thank you for the comment and suggestion.
We are trying hard to improve our site.
If you have any question and comment, please post again.
Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”