a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

recommend an anime series?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

larn555
New in Town

recommend an anime series?

Postby larn555 » May 10th, 2007 8:24 pm

I have recently got into a few anime series to help with my Japanese, I have seen chobits, elfen lied and serial experiements lain. I like mature anime, mature is probably the wrong adjective to use, but you know what i mean. so if anyone has any recommendations i would be very grateful.

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » May 10th, 2007 11:17 pm

Haibane Renmei (I think is the spelling) is an awesome 13 episode series. Very deep and spiritual, while staying earthy and interesting.

Sean

Get 40% OFF
larn555
New in Town

Postby larn555 » May 11th, 2007 9:05 am

thanks seanolan, i just read a review looks pretty good, it looks like the kind of thing i like, so thanks for that.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » May 11th, 2007 3:45 pm

Make sure you get through to the 4-5th episode, you'll find that Haibane Renmei takes a real turn and the true story starts to come out. Fantastic use of imagery in this anime.

Perhaps check out Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Witch Hunter Robin, Last Exile.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 11th, 2007 6:08 pm

Definitely check out Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Series 1 & 2. Much more interesting than the movies, and lots of advanced vocab. The animation is possibly the best of any TV series ever as well. This is probably the most mature anime I've seen; the story is extremely complicated and full of clever twists. Highly recommended.

As mentioned, Samurai Champloo is very cool, and Cowboy Bebop (from the same director) is one of my all-time faves. Lots of action, very likeable characters, and compelling storylines in both.

Trigun is a little more silly, but I found this very compelling. The character development allows you to get to know and care for each of the main characters, and it's full of surprises, and a lot of action to boot. I'd definitely give this one a chance, but watch at least the first few episodes, as the first one isn't too impressive.

As for movies, Ninja Scroll is a must-see, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid-State Society is also very good (it follows on from series 2).

The only currently running series I watch is Death Note. It's pretty stupid, but strangely compelling, and something new to watch.

Honourable mentions would have to be Paranoia Agent, Hellsing, and Blood the Last Vampire.

This is probably the extent of all the anime I've watched. I am very fussy, and like you am only interested in the mature variety. So you can have a little faith in my choices :wink:

larn555
New in Town

Postby larn555 » May 12th, 2007 4:49 pm

hey Javizy that's very helpful thanks, i have heard of some of them, i used to watch cowboy bebop on tv but it was dubbed in english, i will deff check out some of the others. i knew about ghost in the shell movies, but i ever knew about a series? that's weird, what came first then?? deff worth checking that out.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 12th, 2007 5:24 pm

larn555 wrote:hey Javizy that's very helpful thanks, i have heard of some of them, i used to watch cowboy bebop on tv but it was dubbed in english, i will deff check out some of the others. i knew about ghost in the shell movies, but i ever knew about a series? that's weird, what came first then?? deff worth checking that out.

The Cowboy Bebop dubs are terrible! Even before I had any interest in learning Japanese, I watched the subtitled version. The English voices don't do the characters justice at all, so I think you'll enjoy it a lot more in Japanese.

There was Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (first TV series), Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (second TV series), and finally Stand Alone Complex: Solid-State Society (feature-length).

There is a main story in each of the series, but a lot of the episodes are individual and focus on a particular character so you get to know them more than you did in the first two films. The first season is a little slow in places, but it builds up to some really dramatic moments!

Stand Alone Complex is probably my favourite now, I have both box-sets on DVD. They are under £30 each on play.com if you live in the UK, and include 26 episodes plus extras in each one.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 12th, 2007 11:11 pm

Javizy wrote:
larn555 wrote:hey Javizy that's very helpful thanks, i have heard of some of them, i used to watch cowboy bebop on tv but it was dubbed in english, i will deff check out some of the others. i knew about ghost in the shell movies, but i ever knew about a series? that's weird, what came first then?? deff worth checking that out.

The Cowboy Bebop dubs are terrible! Even before I had any interest in learning Japanese, I watched the subtitled version. The English voices don't do the characters justice at all, so I think you'll enjoy it a lot more in Japanese.

There was Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (first TV series), Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (second TV series), and finally Stand Alone Complex: Solid-State Society (feature-length).

There is a main story in each of the series, but a lot of the episodes are individual and focus on a particular character so you get to know them more than you did in the first two films. The first season is a little slow in places, but it builds up to some really dramatic moments!

Stand Alone Complex is probably my favourite now, I have both box-sets on DVD. They are under £30 each on play.com if you live in the UK, and include 26 episodes plus extras in each one.

Don't say that to Cowboy Bebop! You don't know nothing about anime if you offend this magnificent Master Piece! :shock: :roll: :twisted:

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 12th, 2007 11:39 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:
Javizy wrote:

Don't say that to Cowboy Bebop! You don't know nothing about anime if you offend this magnificent Master Piece! :shock: :roll: :twisted:

ええええ、どう言う意味ですか。

I said Bebop was one of my faves but the English voice acting is terrible. The Japanese Spike is funny and suits the character design, the English voice sounds terrible.

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » May 14th, 2007 8:00 am

You should try berzerk. It's very popular in Japan, along with ONE PIECE. But maybe one piece isn't mature enough for you. It still is very good.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 15th, 2007 2:13 am

dmr214 wrote:You should try berzerk. It's very popular in Japan, along with ONE PIECE. But maybe one piece isn't mature enough for you. It still is very good.

dmr214-san! :wink:

Yes, Bersek and One Piece are also very popular here in the USA! 8) :D

I know that I'm immature, alot of people tell me but it's a long process on June 2 2007 I'll be 23. :lol: :P :wink:

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

Postby MattTheCat » May 15th, 2007 4:09 am

It's funny that you mention Cowboy Bebop, because that's pretty widely recognized as one of the best dubs of all time. Even Shinichiro Watanabe said that the eng dub captured more of the feeling of the story than the jpn voice actors. I think I smell a bit of weeaboo bias here.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 15th, 2007 8:24 am

I've only seen a couple of the episodes in English, but I have Knockin' on Heaven's Door on DVD and Spike sounds like a retard in English. It's some cheesey 80s tough guy style voice and it really sounds like the guy's putting it on; he sounds about as natural as a gay wedding in the eyes of George Dubbaya, and the other characters pretty much follow suit. If this is rated by anyone then I'm completely shocked, kinda like this guy right here - :shock:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 16th, 2007 10:14 pm

MattTheCat wrote:It's funny that you mention Cowboy Bebop, because that's pretty widely recognized as one of the best dubs of all time. Even Shinichiro Watanabe said that the eng dub captured more of the feeling of the story than the jpn voice actors. I think I smell a bit of weeaboo bias here.

Mattthecat-san! :wink:

I agree with you! You know more of Anime than all the people present. 8) :twisted:

barrot4ever
New in Town

Postby barrot4ever » May 21st, 2007 12:52 pm

i recommend bleach, higurashi no naku koro ni, mushishi, eureka seven, there are so many, but these are award wining anime, check this out, http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewtopic.php?t=19995

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”