a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese movie scripts?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Lintu
New in Town

Japanese movie scripts?

Postby Lintu » December 13th, 2006 9:08 pm

Anyone know if there are any scripts available in Japanese to practice with? I have Spirited Away and want to watch it in Japanese, but it would be great to have a transcript.

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » December 14th, 2006 9:46 am

I have a link to a transcript of Mononoke Hime on my other computer, it's in both Japanese and English I think. I'll post it when my computer has been fixed, at least I'll try to remember to do it.

Get 40% OFF
pippip
New in Town

Re: Japanese movie scripts?

Postby pippip » January 5th, 2007 2:01 pm

Lintu wrote:Anyone know if there are any scripts available in Japanese to practice with? I have Spirited Away and want to watch it in Japanese, but it would be great to have a transcript.

You can get what are called Film Comic. These use stills from the actual Studio Ghibli movies and contain the exact dialog from the film. What is more you can get both English versions and Japanese versions so you can compare the english translation. The Japanese version comes with furigana along side the kanji. Once again the Japanese version has word for word the script from the movie. I have Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle, and Totoro. I'm pretty sure Ive seen Spirited Away in a bookstore. In each case the story is spread across 4 comics or so. They are around 600 yen each. I bought copies at Kinokunia (a major bookstore) in Japan. I think I found Princess Mononoke by just browsing through the shelves but the others I had to order. They should have the words FILM COMIC in English on the front cover and spine. You need to be careful cause their are other versions of these stories that don't follow the scripts.
Anyway the publisher is Tokuma Shoten. their phone number (sales) is 03(5403)4324 that is a Tokyo number of course. For what it is worth the ISBN numbers for Princess Mononoke are as follows
Publisher:Tokuma Shoten Year:2000
ISBN:
4-19-770069-5 (vol.1)
4-19-770073-3 (vol.2)
4-19-770074-1 (vol.3)
4-19-770075-X (vol.4)
4-19-770076-8 (vol.5)

Price:
¥714 each

I have searched for japanese movie scripts for ages and aside for one uncompleted transcription of Mononoke Hime on line this is the best, or rather the only thing I've found.
Oh, I just found the following

'97 Nenkan Daihyou Shinario Shuu
(1997 Best Screenplay Collection)
Publisher:Eijin-sha Year:1997
ISBN:4-87100-125-3
Price:¥2718
Notes:Contains several movie scripts, including Mononoke Hime.

I think I'd go for the film comics however. Whatever , I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any leads on scripts. They must be out there.

Sorry if this post is a bit long

Regards
Phil

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 11th, 2007 11:38 pm

Regarding Spirited Away, you **~~could~~** choose go through all that hassle, or you could just PM me. I made a complete dialogue transcript based on the 「アフレコ台本」. and while doing so attempted to note the minor deviations the actors made from it during recording. I copied out the dialogue entirely in Japanese, so in order to gain much from it you'll need to be comfortable with kanji.

More recently, however, I acquired another transcript in .DOC format, containing both full Japanese and Romaji. I'd give credit to the author (from experience, it is a painful amount of typing), but I do not recall he who wrote it. I haven't looked through it thoroughly, so while it is the complete dialogue of the movie, I can't certify its accuracy.

Oddly enough, I've never been big on anime-- I loved this movie, though! :D

milkylong1988_511771
New in Town

Postby milkylong1988_511771 » May 1st, 2016 8:41 am

Hello there! :D
So, I found a site that has Japanese movie scripts (each script is written in both English and Japanese), and the English explanations are really nice for learning indeed. The movie scripts have the vocab from the movie within, so that's loads of words to memorize!
From what I can tell, you request for a Japanese movie script to be made, and it can be pretty much anything? Seems convenient.
Here's the link to the page I found: http://nihongorecipes.memories-bunko.jp/

Back to my cup of tea!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » May 5th, 2016 1:47 pm

san,
konnichiwa. :)
Thank you for sharing the information.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”