a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Flashcards improvement

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bloritsch
Been Around a Bit

Flashcards improvement

Postby bloritsch » February 21st, 2014 9:20 pm

I find the flashcards very useful as they are now, but I thought of something that will make them even more useful to me.

I have a deck per lesson series, and as I go through the lessons I add to the lesson flashcard deck. I'm also studying some of the core lists simultaneously. As you can imagine, there's a lot of overlap with the core words and the lesson deck.

It would be immensely helpful if my progress for the cards was with the card itself. In other words, if the same card in in more than one deck I should get the credit for already studying the card even if I'm focusing on another deck. One example would be はじめまして. It's in all the beginner lessons and the Core 100. The first thing we learn is how to introduce ourselves. Yet, the progress of whether I've really learned the card is tracked separately for each deck. If we truly tracked for the card then if I got to 90% learned in one deck it would be 90% learned even if I added to a new deck.

Hopefully I explained that clearly enough.

BTW, I really like the ability to turn on and off different review styles for the cards. Since I'm trying to build my vocabulary for vacation later this year, not getting bogged down in the kanji yet is a real time saver. In the process, my hiragana skills are getting much better.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Flashcards improvement

Postby community.japanese » February 24th, 2014 4:25 am

Hello bloritsch san,
Thank you for sharing your study tips.
Yuki 由紀
Team  JaanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
julianbenkel8058
New in Town

Postby julianbenkel8058 » May 26th, 2014 4:37 am

Hi japanesepod101-Team,

is there a way to turn off the romaji in the flashcards? You can turn them off in the recognition study mode, but not in the listening comprehension mode. My eyes get naturally drawn to the roman letters and I really try to avoid them whereever possible. Are you planning such a feature? I'd really appreciate it! Keep up the great work! :)

Julian

ofeliadgrd
Been Around a Bit

Postby ofeliadgrd » June 3rd, 2014 7:34 am

Hi julianbenkel8058,

If you are in the Listening Comprehension mode, the kana and romanization will be shown automatically in the back of the flashcard, but not in the front.
Since the back is the "answer" side, we haven't planned to add such a feature at the moment.
However we will consider your suggestion.

Thank you very much,
Regards,
Ofelia
Team JapanesePod101.com

dttbethune_508479
New in Town

Postby dttbethune_508479 » November 9th, 2015 2:22 pm

こんいちは!

I wanted to say how much I like doing the vocabulary Flashcards.
I tend to use the review page from every lesson to make a deck for that lesson. I find this helps me work out which lessons I've not been attentive enough to and need to repeat.

I tend to use Anki for learning my Kanji and one thing that stands out with their flashcard system that could be used on JapanesePod101 is the addition of various views to help track your vocabulary. So you can see how many words you've mastered, your increase plotted over time etc.
I personally find that if I look back over charts like this and can see that a month ago I had mastered say 30 fewer words it helps give the inspiration to crack on.
At the moment I can only see what I've studied/mastered etc when I begin a study session on a deck.

Thanks for all your hard work! :D
デイビット

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 23rd, 2015 12:49 am

デイビットさん、
こんにちは。 :)
わかりました。
どうもありがとうございます。
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

fremicourt3116
New in Town

Postby fremicourt3116 » January 6th, 2016 1:38 am

Good day to you,

For the past few weeks, I had two new problems with the flashcards, not only on Jpod101 but also on the other sites of this franchise (Chinese and Greek, so to speak).

First, the scale notation seems to work randomly: sometimes, I can't click on it and therefore can't go on and see the next flashcard. I went back to the button system yesterday because it was so annoying.

Also, and this is even more troublesome, some cards seem to miss suddenly the first syllable, so I can't identify them. One more time, I have this problem not only on the Japanese website but also on the Greek and Chinese website. I do have the same problem on my tablet, so I guess this problem doesn't come from my computer.

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » January 7th, 2016 8:16 am

Hello,

thank you for letting us know about the issue. We've informed the issue to our developing team. We'll get back to you when it's fixed or we have any updates.

Thank you,
Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

Varsh
Been Around a Bit

Postby Varsh » January 7th, 2016 6:22 pm

こんいちは、

I have been using flashcards daily in the morning and the evening however there are times when I have a break in between work when I want to learn some flashcards. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the option for it on the Android Innovative App. Are flashcards actually on the application or is it web based only?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

よろしくお願いします、

エーロン

fremicourt3116
New in Town

Postby fremicourt3116 » January 10th, 2016 12:50 pm

Good evening,

I know this is a long awaited and asked feature, but still unlucky with this... For the time being, I believe the flashcards are only available from the website.

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » January 13th, 2016 9:43 am

fremicourt3116 wrote:Good day to you,

For the past few weeks, I had two new problems with the flashcards, not only on Jpod101 but also on the other sites of this franchise (Chinese and Greek, so to speak).

First, the scale notation seems to work randomly: sometimes, I can't click on it and therefore can't go on and see the next flashcard. I went back to the button system yesterday because it was so annoying.

Also, and this is even more troublesome, some cards seem to miss suddenly the first syllable, so I can't identify them. One more time, I have this problem not only on the Japanese website but also on the Greek and Chinese website. I do have the same problem on my tablet, so I guess this problem doesn't come from my computer.

Hello fremicourt3116,

Our team is looking into this issue, and to find out the ways to fix, we'd like to ask you if you remember some cards that went missing. Could you please let us know some of the words related to the missing cards?

Thank you,
Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » January 15th, 2016 3:53 am

fremicourt3116 wrote:Good evening,

I know this is a long awaited and asked feature, but still unlucky with this... For the time being, I believe the flashcards are only available from the website.

Hello fremicourt3116,

We're sorry for the slow response. The flahscards are available only on the web for now.

Thank you,
Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

fremicourt3116
New in Town

Postby fremicourt3116 » January 25th, 2016 11:49 pm

jaehwi wrote:Hello fremicourt3116,

Our team is looking into this issue, and to find out the ways to fix, we'd like to ask you if you remember some cards that went missing. Could you please let us know some of the words related to the missing cards?

Thank you,
Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

Good day,

Sorry for the slow reply, I don't come on the forum every day.

Well, there's some cards. Just now, I come across some of them.

The card for 動く. I can hear it clearly, but if I go to listen the exemple (動かないでください), I just get "かないでください"

The card for 宗教 sounds like うきょう

売り切れる sounds like りきれる
工場 sounds like おうじょう

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » January 26th, 2016 2:45 am

Thank you for letting us know the entries, fremicourt3116.
I've just passed the information to our development team. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear any updates.

About the first issue that you mentioned, our team has been investing the issue, and found out that that's a bug with Firefox on Ubuntu. If you use the browser, could you try the different one to see if you still have the same issue?

We'll take a look at the second issue while waiting for your response.

Thank you again,
Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » February 9th, 2016 1:17 am

Hello fremicourt3116,

Thank you for your patience. I'd like to inform you that our team has fixed the issue.

Thank you again-

Jae
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Feature Requests”