a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Not sure where to start in jp101

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

kamisoyokaze6154
New in Town

Not sure where to start in jp101

Postby kamisoyokaze6154 » December 21st, 2012 8:29 pm

I've been studying Japanese for 1.5 years, In terms of grammar I'd say I know a fair amount of the grammar I'd see daily in Japanese, in terms of vocabulary, it's probably lacking. I decided to use jp101 because my listening is lacking, so I thought this would be a good way to combat it.

However I have no idea where to start, I don't want to skip ahead and miss loads of useful info, but equally I don't want to waste hours on stuff I already know well. Going through lessons trying to find where I am is not something I'd really like to do either, hehe. So I was wondering where about I should start. If you need any more info on my level, just ask.

Hopefully someone can help me, thanks :)

EDIT: Oh i forgot to mention, that yes I have looked through the descriptions of all the series' I just find them too vague to be able to gauge whether I am at that level or not.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Not sure where to start in jp101

Postby community.japanese » December 22nd, 2012 4:22 am

amisoyokaze6154-san,
kon'nichiwa!
Well, it's very difficult to tell exactly where you should start as we can never know your exact level simply by
description (it's not only you; it's always very difficult to tell), but thank you very much for letting us know about your
current levels :wink:
If you're reluctant to check lessons before finding out your actual level, one of the possible ways would be try one lesson in JLPT preparation. It might tell you "what" you don't know about grammar, which is your strengh. Then you can search
the lessons convering those grammar point!

Another possible way is see the curriculum, see lesson context more or less (grammar point, situation, possible
vocab field, etc.) and then, instead of listening to the lesson, check first the Lesson Note (PDF) and read the dialog and
check vocab and grammar. If that seems not just interesting but really confirms you that you want to try the lesson,
you can finally "play" the audio. How does this sound?
Hope it works for you!
If not, let us know more about your wants anytime! :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
kamisoyokaze6154
New in Town

Postby kamisoyokaze6154 » December 22nd, 2012 10:06 am

Ok thanks, I'll try out your suggestions, worst comes to the worst, I'll find a place roughly a little below my level and start from there, that way I wont miss anything important, and the extra practice wont hurt...

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » December 23rd, 2012 5:47 am

kamisoyokaze6154-san,
Brilliant! :D
Exactly like you said, extra practice never hurts; it will just help you!
If you find any problems and/or questions, please ask us any time :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

mkdn
New in Town

Postby mkdn » February 9th, 2015 10:40 pm

Greetings,
I did not want to start a new topic, since something similar was already created.
Please advise, I will soon finish the intermediate season 1 course, and not sure wether to proceed to upper intermediate or to advance courses. I got a brief grasp of both first lessons in the upper intermediate and advance, and they both seem relatively equal in terms of new challenge.
I do not plan on taking any tests like JLPT in nearest future, my main goal is to study as many new words+kanji in sentences as possible, as I slowly step into the world of reading light novels.
Thanks

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 14th, 2015 11:49 am

Mkdn san,
Konnichiwa.
How about trying two or three lesson of upper intermediate lessons?
Then if they are too easy, you can go to advanced lessons.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”