Or sign up using Facebook

Tattoo in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sebastian.m.skoglund_502744
New in Town

Tattoo in Japan

Postby sebastian.m.skoglund_502744 » November 20th, 2014 11:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I have plans for getting a tattoo in Tokyo, this christmas! The tattoo I would like to have on my right wrist saying "Wisdom" (Chie) in kanji symbols, " 知恵 ". How do you think a Japanese would react to this tattoo? Does it look weird or have another meaning?

My Japanese friend (she is 47 years old, I'm 20) think this tattoo would look fun for a Japanese, a little bit comic. Like "It's not smart to have a tattoo, saying smart because tattoos in Japan is not smart"

The background for thinking of this tattoo is to remind me what I have gone through in my life- and what I am about to face in the future. A reminder to always stay strong, and choose the right way in life no matter what. To have it on my right wrist and see it everyday.

What do you people think when you see this? ^^

Thanks for any replies!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Tattoo in Japan

Postby community.japanese » November 30th, 2014 9:55 am

sebastian.m.skoglund san,

Konnichiwa.
I know tattoo is getting popular in Japan, too.
However, if you have tattoo, you probably will be refused to get in onsen (hot spring) and sports gyms in Japan. And you might not be able to buy private health insurance and not be able to take MRI in Japan.
Many people still think tattoo is a symbol of yakuza. Therefore, if you want to get marry Japanese person, their parents might not welcome you.
That is my concern.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
johnparkaer11_504212
New in Town

Postby johnparkaer11_504212 » February 3rd, 2015 11:18 am

Hi buddy, thanks to all for tattoos liking. Tattoo is being more crazy fashion today, so why not we use it. But to have the proper care of our tattoo, it is very necessary rather than our tattoo may be destroyed. So must use the best tattoo aftercare lotion. Our suggestion is to use the “Marlowes Aftercare Lotion”, it is world’s best tattoo healing lotion without any side effects. Read more:-

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 6th, 2015 9:30 am

johnparkaer11 san,
konnichiwa.
Thank you for sharing the information.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

stream26
New in Town

Postby stream26 » April 13th, 2016 9:41 am

The tattoo I would like to have on my right wrist saying "Wisdom" (Chie) in kanji symbols, " 知恵 ". How do you think a Japanese would react to this tattoo? Does it look weird or have another meaning?
if I understand correctly, this symbol means wisdom.I think need a complete thought like "Wisdom reigns without humiliating" ..
Last edited by stream26 on August 13th, 2016 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 18th, 2016 6:13 am

san,
Konnichiwa.
I know nearly half of the population in some countries has tattoo.
However, tattoo has not been accepted in Japan very much yet because Yakuza (Japanese mafia) tends to have it.
Moreover, some hot spring places refuse people who have tattoo on their bodies.
In proportion to increasing the number of overseas people in Japan, the hatred of tattoo has been changing.
Nevertheless, general Japanese people should not have a good impression of tattoo. :(
And I am not sure about the symbol.
Any way 知恵 has a good meaning so if you like it, you can have the tattoo.
Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

LeesaJohnson
Been Around a Bit

Postby LeesaJohnson » October 12th, 2017 7:13 am

Japanese are good in tattoos and design different type of tattoo on the body and each one having its meaning. It's a matter of choice.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”