a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT December 2013

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Valeriedreid6207
New in Town

JLPT December 2013

Postby Valeriedreid6207 » September 15th, 2013 11:34 pm

So, whose signed up? What level are you taking? How have you prepared so far? What are you going to do between now and December?

I've signed up for N5. So far I've done the Absolute beginner series 1 and 2, and the first season of Nihongo Dojo here on Japanese Pod 101. I've also started taking weekly classes with a Japanese tutor. Going forward, I'm just really working on comprehension. I plan on taking a practice test in early November, then cramming for whatever section/ area I don't do well on.

All in all, I don't think I'm going to pass the test :( I haven't studied as much as I should (or for as many hours as the test recommends ~300 or so for N5, methinks). But decided to sign up anyways, as I very much hope to pass it next year and at least next year I won't be going into the test cold. If I do pass, I will be so incredibly happy! Time will tell. I normally don't look forward to tests, but have to admit I'm excited about this one!

And if anyone is looking for a N5 study buddy (and you don't mind that I'm rather low level...) let me know!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: JLPT December 2013

Postby community.japanese » September 19th, 2013 11:28 am

Valeriedreid6207-san,
kon'nichiwa!

Well done signing up for N5! :D
You still have 2 full months to prepare, so you might pass :wink:
Taking the exam itself will definitely help you encouraging and studying, understanding what you need
to do next. So, preparation must have been working well for you already!

Good luck :flower:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
suchenderweise7690
New in Town

Postby suchenderweise7690 » September 19th, 2013 6:37 pm

Valerie, I'm also studying for JLPT 5 in December 2013!
My main encuragement is my trip to Japan next year :-D
Since applying for the test, I started studying vocabulary on a more regular basis as well as translating easy reading stuff recently...

Yesterday I did the first practice test.
As I suspected, the listening comprehension part was quite a mess, thus I'd like to focus mainly on this part.
Fortunately, the spoken part of the test wasn't spoken in regular speed, thus I probably will be able to master, if I spend enough time to practice until December.
The written stuff seemed much easyer, like writing kanji in kana, except for the exceptions ;)

Natsuko-san
up to what level and which season of Japanesepod101 audio lesson/video lesson is recommended for JLPT 5, to have a fair chance for the listening/comprehension stuff? At the moment, I'm attending a weekly Japanese class and we are almost done studying Minna no Nohongo 1.
Listening stuff seems to be the best practice for my momentarly needs until I dream in Japanese. Thus, I might buy a couple of months of Japanesepod101 :)
Do you also offer specialized JLPT 5 material?
If I decide for a 6 month subscription, will I have to cancel renewing in advance or can I decide if it should renew automatically or not?
Unfortunately, I missed the 7 day trial period at Japanesepod to geht an idea... :/

Thanks

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » September 21st, 2013 6:10 am

suchenderweise7690-san,
we do have "last minute preparation" lessons for JLPT :D
Please check these lessons:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php?cat=33

It's a bit difficult to say up to what level and lessons of JapanesePod101's regular course you should
study, because some of our lessons focus on practical conversations rather than exam-wise listening
material. Listening comprehension skills don't necessarily correspond when we compare these two
("daily conversation" and "exam").
I usually recommend Absolute Beginner and, if possible, Beginner level (there's also Lower Beginner
in between). The best would be to use JapanesePod101 lessons to "get used to" Japanese, not as
preparation for JLPT. And as a preparation, use those special lessons on J-Pod and/or
other materials. There are several webpages (free) where you can find practice sheets in exam style.
Of course, actual exams in past years are available in bookshops and this will definitely help you too.

As to subscription, let me confirm with my team before giving you any mid-way reply. :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

suchenderweise7690
New in Town

Postby suchenderweise7690 » September 21st, 2013 8:13 am

Natsuko-san thanks for your detailed reply!

I'll check out the preparation section, thank you for this hint.

And thanks also for the answer about the Audio lesson study part. At least, I have now a clue about the level :)

Well, since I know that my listening comprehensin skills are still poor, I decided to use the test preparation as a initial step to improve it. The test situations are different than everyday situations, you are right, but I kind of struggle with basics like to tell words apart in spoken language, to identify numbers as such, to remember the words meaning fast enough, to understand the speakers setting e.g. speak people to each other or about one another etc. At this part I even kind of struggle in the written language sometimes.
Thus, if I practice listening to everyday situations more often might help to start to understand conversations more easily rather than struggling as I do now. And my goal is achieved, since this part of the skill will help me for the test as well :) It definitely will help me for my trip :D
The questions of the test though, seemed to be rather easy, if I'd understood the listening part better. Fortunately, it is spoken not quite as fast as the few Beginner lessons I was listening at Japanesepod101. Well in the audio lessons I was thrilled about the language hints, the differentiation of formal language and casual language and this kind of stuff, which I haven't seen in my textbook in this explicity. That's really great, I like it!
Seems to be a good deal for me.
Thanks

paloma_ill
Established Presence

Postby paloma_ill » September 24th, 2013 2:03 am

Hi suchenderweise7690-san,

You can cancel auto-renewal anytime via your account page. If you cancel you will still have a valid account till the end of the term. :) If you need any other information, please send us an email to .

As for the JLPT, we have some tools that can help you practice to the exam:
JLPT Season 1 – Old 4/New N5
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php?cat=33

JLPT Kanji
http://www.japanesepod101.com/jlpt/kanji/

JLPT Practice Tests
http://www.japanesepod101.com/jlpt/practice/

I hope it helps!
Please let us know if you have any further questions!
Paloma
Team JapanesePod101.com

suchenderweise7690
New in Town

Postby suchenderweise7690 » September 25th, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Paloma-san

Thank you very much for this information, also for the detailed availability of JLPT N5 material. This is very helpful.
And thank you too, that there is an option to stop auto-renewal :-)

Have a nice day

jennywillett12743
New in Town

Postby jennywillett12743 » September 27th, 2013 7:53 am

Hi!
I'm taking the JLPT N4 in December. I didn't take N5, but consistently pass all the N5 practise tests I do with a high grade, so figured I should try to challenge myself. I think the challenge is probably too much, to be honest.
It's very difficult to know what to learn, which leads me to my question:

I know there aren't any official grammar lists, but can someone shed some light on why there are such big differences between grammar lists online? (Tanos vs Japanese Pod 101 vs Nihongo Challenege books vs the list in the Complete N4 Mock Exams book「日本語能力試験 完全模試N4 (日本語能力試験完全模試シリーズ」)

Just to illustrate Tanso has 170 grammar points listed, Japanese Pod 101 shows 117, The Complete N4 Exam Book shows just 64! (I haven't had a chance to count Nihongo Challenge yet.)

It is super confusing. Whilst there is obviously significant overlap, I'm finding it impossible to work out how much I need to learn and at what rate I need to cover points to try and have a decent chance in the JLPT this December.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :kokoro:
Jen

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » October 2nd, 2013 6:03 am

jennywillett12743-san,
sorry for late reply.

It could be because of inconsistency of exam itself and all the study materials (such as all you named)
need to adjust according to the past exams.
We're not responsible for other materials, so I can't give insights about them.

Exam book would help you the best, considering the fact those are the actual past exams.

Good luck.

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

alemaringola5675
New in Town

Postby alemaringola5675 » November 10th, 2013 3:43 pm

Hello there!

I'm taking N2 in december and I'm really worried about it. I've never taken this exam before, but I've been studying Japanese for the past three years and even spent one year in Japan.

Right now I'm studying with the nihongo soumatome books, but I would also like to use more podcasts here. So I was just wondering, which level of podcasts should I listen to?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

colleenrei185024
New in Town

Postby colleenrei185024 » November 10th, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi there,

I passed N5 last year, so I'm taking it up a notch and will take N4 this December. Right now, what I do in preparation are review the grammar part from Minna no Nihongo 1 & 2 books, download all the JLPT related apps on my Android phone (very helpful if you want to study anywhere, in my case in a very crowded train :lol: ) and listen to the JLPT prep course podcasts of Japanesepod101 (which I do often at work).

Good luck to us all.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 16th, 2013 7:49 am

> alemaringola5675-san,
it's always difficult to say which lessons to listen, but
have you already tried some of our audio lessons? How did you feel about it in terms of
difficulties and grammar level? Did you find it easy to understand (i.e. listening comprehension).
N2 is not too easy, and it covers grammar widely and focusing on specific functional words or expressions.
Considering the time left before the exam, listening to our lesson of intermediate level
just to train your ears and get some more grammar details could help.
We also have upper intermediate, but if you're not there yet, I don't recommend it
because the last thing you need right now is to feel more worried and/or lose confidence.
I'm sure you'll do the exam very good, if you've been studying constantly :wink:
Good luck!

> colleenrei185024-san,
it seems someone is following a good path! :mrgreen:
Thank you very much for a kind comment! Good luck to you too :wink:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ballr308000
New in Town

Postby ballr308000 » November 28th, 2013 10:55 am

So, the big day is drawing nearer. I'm taking N2 in Germany. I found the upper intermediate series quite helpful. I've been doing pretty well with my prep books but I expect the real thing to be much harder, especially the 聴解 part because I have never been to Japan and really lack practice in this area. Anyway, passing would be great (although honestly not deserved :p), but failing would be just a motivation to do better next time. Good luck to all of you!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » December 10th, 2013 11:57 am

ballr308000-san,
so, how did the JLPT go? Hope 聴解 was not too difficult :wink:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ballr308000
New in Town

Postby ballr308000 » December 17th, 2013 7:56 am

Well, well, well, right after the written part I just thought "no way I can pass" (I'm still a little bit too slow at reading and had to answer the very last question in a hurry) and the oral part was just as difficult as expected. Now after having checked a couple of things in my dictionary I have the feeling I dind't do as bad as that, but still I had very few certain answers at 読解 and 聴解, too much guessing for a deserved 合格, but now wait and see ;)

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”