Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Remove batteries from your cell phones (in Japan)!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Re:

Postby videovillain » June 29th, 2013 2:44 pm

jkid wrote:Thats seems very drastic.

They send you all the rules well in advance, and it's a simple rule to follow. If that distraction five minutes before the end the exam happened to be the distraction that became the difference between someone passing or failing, that is unacceptable. I know I'd be extremely upset, especially since the JLPT tests are expensive and only happen twice a year.

Definitely remove your batteries or just don't bring your phone at all
***However, you'll still need a watch of some sort because you are expected to follow the time table).***

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Remove batteries from your cell phones (in Japan)!

Postby community.japanese » July 2nd, 2013 7:12 am

Hi, everyone! :D
thank you very much for sharing your opinions here with us!

It's very true that any selfish person can disturb you with mobile phone at exams and
that's the worst thing people can do!

Just as information (you might know, though...), you need watch and are allowed to keep your
watch on the desk at exams, but you're not allowed to use mobile for that reason.
Also digital ones which make noise are sometimes not allowed as well.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Re:

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 3rd, 2013 8:38 am

JohnCBriggs wrote:We got the same type of warnings in the USA. If ANY electronic device makes a noise you will be immediately disqualified. I have a Pocket PC that still alarms when it is off. I had to turn the volume to MUTE to prevent it from sounding. I also deleted all my appointments that occurred during the test time.
Taking the battery out was not a good option because the memory would be lost.
It was a very quiet test.
ジョン

That's totally fair- in deed you should be discouraged from disrupting any other student. Separation of students goes a long towards that but really bad smells should be cause for failure- go to a doctor if you are sick- you should always get special consideration for that.

watertommyz9255
Been Around a Bit

Postby watertommyz9255 » February 16th, 2014 3:23 am

Oh, I didn't know cellphones could still alarm, even when turned off. That's good to know, if I ever take a test like that. Strange, I've never had mine go off while at the theatre. I believe I have good cellphone etiquette, and would never want to disturb anyone in a test, or at the movies, or even out eating somewhere.

Are you allowed to attempt the test again at a later date?

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 17th, 2014 8:58 am

Hello everyone,
If your mobile phone is ringing during a JLPT test, your test result will be invalidated unfortunately.
So don’t forget to turn off that.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Kenjhee
Established Presence

Postby Kenjhee » December 14th, 2016 10:35 am

I never thought I'd see a red tag for real, much less sit near one, but it happened at the N4 in San Francisco (Dec 2016). About 10 minutes before the end of the first section, the girl sitting next to me had her phone go off like nobody's business. It was a small classroom, and no mistaking where the sound was coming from. The proctor apologized but had to tag her. She actually took it very well, I felt sorry for her.

It sounded like a phone call, not an alert or notification, so I don't know how she managed to have it on. In America it means a whole year to retest. :( :( :(

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”