a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

WWOOFing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

WWOOFing

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » February 19th, 2013 3:35 am

Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF, pron.: /ˈwʊf/), or Willing Workers on Organic Farms, is a loose network of national organisations that facilitate placement of volunteers on organic farms.

(...)

WWOOFing aims to provide volunteers with first-hand experience in organic and ecologically sound growing methods, to help the organic movement, and to let volunteers experience life in a rural setting or a different country. WWOOF volunteers ('WWOOFers') generally do not receive financial payment. The host provides food, accommodation, and opportunities to learn, in exchange for assistance with farming or gardening activities.

The duration of the visit can range from a few days to years. Workdays average five to six hours, and participants interact with WWOOFers from other countries. WWOOF farms include private gardens through smallholdings, allotments, and commercial farms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWOOF

I'd like to do a WWOOF course in Hokkaido soon. I'm a UK resident so I'm allowed to stay in Japan for up to ninety days without a Visa, so I'm hoping to spend nearly three months in the country.

Even though I've been studying Japanese for a year, I'm terrified. I'm sure I can get to Japan without a problem but navigating my way from Tokyo to Sapporo sounds like a nightmare. I'm thinking about flying between the two cities so I don't have to deal with confusing trains or bus rides.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: WWOOFing

Postby community.japanese » February 19th, 2013 2:41 pm

andycarmenjapanese8100-san,
:lol: That might be a good idea!
Hokkaido is a bit far if you travel by train, so the plane would be the best in many ways...

Your plan sounds very lovely and exciting!
If there's anything we can help you with, please feel free to let us know!
Not only JapanesePod101.com team, but listeners are all kind and friendly, and happy to help you for sure! :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » July 3rd, 2013 4:50 pm

Did you go WWOOFing yet? How was it!? I went WWOOFing in Miura Peninsula for about 6 months! It was amazing!

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » July 3rd, 2013 6:25 pm

videovillain wrote:Did you go WWOOFing yet? How was it!? I went WWOOFing in Miura Peninsula for about 6 months! It was amazing!

I made some Japanese friends in my home country and got it out of my system.

I'd still like to go to Japan sometime but I'd prefer to improve my skills first so I can make the most of it.

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » July 4th, 2013 3:33 am

You know... I said, "I'd like to go to Japan some day when I'm better at Japanese," and ended up not going for over 7 years after that.

My suggestion would be, go while you are younger and your skills aren't perfect! It's a wonderful experience to have the Japanese people help you learn! No matter how much you study, if you don't try your skills with the people and culture surrounding you, you'll never be truly ready.

Learning from the people and learning the culture at the same time will definitely help you 'make the most' of your trip to Japan, I guarantee it!

Anyway, I hope you get to come to Japan someday soon!

Return to “Visiting Japan”