a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

can anyone help me with rikaichan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Liz21
Expert on Something

can anyone help me with rikaichan?

Postby Liz21 » August 8th, 2006 2:33 pm

Katie-san suggested rikaichan which would help me with mixi because I can barely read anything there! It's so funny -- I just click buttons and see what happens!! Bizarre!

Anyway, I found I had to download Firefox, which I did. (1.5 version) Then I got a message saying rikaichan works only with version 0.1 I can't seem to get started with this. Can anyone help me?

I am using a Mac G5, system 10.4.6, Firefox 1.5 (How do I get an earlier version of Firefox?)

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 8th, 2006 3:35 pm

First let me say that Rikaichan is a fabulous tool, so I hope you get it working. I'm using Windows with Firefox 1.5.0.6 and have no problems using it. Unfortunately, after doing a quick search it looks like there are some compatability issues when trying to get it up and running on a Mac. If I find anything else about it I'll let you know.

Get 40% OFF
Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » August 8th, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks, Airth-san!
I'm able to go to Rikai.com and paste the URL of a Japanese web site and I do get the roll-over function. HOWEVER, I can't use it with mixi. It works on the opening page, but when I login and try to go to my home page I get a blank page?????????? :shock:

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 8th, 2006 7:16 pm

It's not the same but you could try JEDict.
http://jedict.com/
This has a safari web browser built in. clicking on a word does a dictionary search and gives you that would in a side panel. Not as convenient as the little tooltips and maybe not as fast but it works offline as well because the dictionaries are stored on your hard drive.
It's shareware but the unregistered version works fine. registering allows you to use more dictionaries and feel good about helping this guy develop Mac software useful for Japanese learners.
(it's a very good dictionary reader tool as well)

I couldn't get the firefox rikai plugins to work either (any version). I just don't think they are Mac compatible.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » August 18th, 2006 3:04 am

I answered my own question! So here is the answer, in case anyone else has a problem! In Firefox I needed to go to Tools on the Menu bar and click "toggle rikaichan"!! It works like a charm!!!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 18th, 2006 11:24 am

How did you manage to install Rikaichan in the first place?

My version of Firefox (on Mac) just won't play ball, it says installation of themes is disabled and to switch it on in options.
(very Windows )
In Preferences there is no option to switch installation on ( or off for that matter.) Just a notification preference that has no effect on the problem.

I can expand the file to it's components but have no idea where to manually install them.

So much for cross platform.

I think this was about as far as I got the last time as well.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 18th, 2006 11:40 am

To answer my own question.
(we really need some Mac Japanese Computing FAQs)

With a bit more research I found a really really BAD interface decision in FireFox Mac 1.5

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan#comment-47

Now I know why I don't use Firefox. (It's about Interface and ease of use guys!! :evil: )

No doubt I'll repost here when the install hasn't worked.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » August 18th, 2006 11:56 am

Belton-san,
I'm in a hurry, but, briefly -- I went here: http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/

I clicked the option "Japanese-English Dictionary" download and that seemed to do the trick in addition to using "toggle rikaichain" under Tools in Firefox.

Good luck

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » August 28th, 2006 6:42 am

I've just installed Rikaichan over a clean install of Firefox 1.5 on my Mac. I had to add the polarcloud site to the list of sites that were allowed to install extensions & then clicked on the Install link for the main program, Japanese-English Dictionary & Names dictionary in turn. I used the 'alternative site' link in each case as the main link didn't work correctly. Then I restarted Firefox & selected Tools->Toggle Rikaichan (Thanks Liz) & all seems to be working. :)

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » August 28th, 2006 6:26 pm

You should also be able to right click on a page and there be an entry in the menu to toggle it off and on. If there's not, take a look at rikaichan's options.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

ピーターズ
New in Town

Postby ピーターズ » March 13th, 2007 10:59 am

There's also POPjisyo: no installation needed.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » March 13th, 2007 11:10 am

Yeah, Jason, "right click". But what if you're a Mac user?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 13th, 2007 5:46 pm

Liz21 wrote:Yeah, Jason, "right click". But what if you're a Mac user?

Ctrl-click. :P
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Technical Support”