a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How fitting for learning japanese?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

alexfeggers8166
New in Town

How fitting for learning japanese?

Postby alexfeggers8166 » September 13th, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey guys, like pretty much all of you in this forum, I started wanting to learn japanese because of anime. Now I'm wondering, how fitting is anime actually for that purpose? Do people actually speak like that, or is the Japanese (forgive the term) "dumbed down" a little? In short, will anime constrict my learning of Japanese?

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » September 14th, 2012 11:00 am

alexfeggers8166-san,
Anime is never bad for learning Japanese, nor as motivation! :wink:
But you might want to be careful because some expressions appeared in Anime/Manga/TV drama are not exactly we talk in daily life. Often they over-react. :lol:
So, if you immitate anime's way of speaking, you might end up speaking like a "theatre" actor/actress.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
alexfeggers8166
New in Town

Postby alexfeggers8166 » September 14th, 2012 5:46 pm

So the text is not the problem, just the delivery?

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » September 15th, 2012 4:50 am

alexfeggers8166-san,
Yes, I can say so. :wink:
To be honest, I sometimes don't like Japanese TV dramas simply because I feel "okay, no one speaks like that. If I hear such words or someone speaks to me like that, I'd never be impressed". :lol:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

dinaga1828
New in Town

Postby dinaga1828 » September 16th, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but I noticed a lot of informal Japanese in anime so you might watch out for that :) I personally don't like learning Japanese by just watching anime because I'm afraid of either sounding too theatrical (like Natsuko-san said) or too informal/rude.

But of course, watching/listening to anything Japanese-related (anime, Japanese movies, Japanese music) in addition to studying helps a lot to memorize things you just learned. :) For example, when I first learned "itadakimasu", I began to notice it all over animes and it helped a great deal ;) The same goes for hiragana/katakana - many opening scenes have both romaji and kana included while the song is playing so it can be a good kana quiz :)

watertommyz9255
Been Around a Bit

Re: How fitting for learning japanese?

Postby watertommyz9255 » February 22nd, 2013 7:23 am

I don't think it's bad for you to use it as a learning tool, but it is by itself. Ideally, you'll want to eventually get skype, find a Japanese friend in your home area if you can, and or go to Japan and talk to Japanese people to get a feel for the language. With anime you won't be properly working on your pronunciation or conversational skills either since no one really talks like how they voice act.

I'm not an expert or anything, and I'm still in the learning the basics stage, but this is advice I've been given, and will be taking to the best of my ability.

remillardn7528
Been Around a Bit

Postby remillardn7528 » February 25th, 2013 3:15 pm

Actually a fitting one for learning Japanese would be K-ON. They talk like your supposed to in Japanese a lot of the time. I noticed a lot of grammar and words in it that I'm planning on watching it raw at some point to see how well I follow what they say.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 26th, 2013 11:19 am

> dinaga1828-san,
it seems someone's got the brilliant way to learn Japanese :wink:
You're right; some Japanese anime and drama are tricky to learn from, but it's true that you should
actually use them efficiently and effectively!
If you have any doubts and/or questions, please feel free to ask us anytime! :D

> watertommyz9255-san,
you're completely right; if you can use any materials from Japan, of course you should use any of those as
benefit. If you want to know if you can actually use in daily life, please feel free to check it with us! :wink:

> remillardn7528-san,
K-ON? I've never heard of it. Thank you for sharing info with us!! :D
We're sure you're doing just great; if there's anything we can help you with, please let us know! :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

mrmoonfield2239
New in Town

Postby mrmoonfield2239 » May 23rd, 2013 12:09 am

I can say for one things, Don't reply on anime as the only thing.

Some of the character talk such a way that it's obvious not real (Fake personality, not possible in real life).

But most of the time, it's has common japanese stuff.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » May 27th, 2013 11:34 am

mrmoonfield2239-san,
true; we can learn quite "typical Japanese" stuff from anime :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ramblinQ
New in Town

Postby ramblinQ » June 13th, 2013 12:39 am

I am in the process of creating a website for exactly this purpose. It's still very new, but I've been following JapanesePod101 for a while now, and I would love to get some feedback from the community here. Here's the link:

http://www.japaneseanimelanguageclass.com

I hope you will all check it out and tell me what you think.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 15th, 2013 7:30 am

ramblinQ-san,
thank you very much for sharing your site!
It seems you've worked hard on it; there should be many people who would appreciate such a fun way to learn Japanese
using anime. :D
However, I've quickly checked the lesson Episode 1 worksheet and it seems you need to fix quite a bit.
For instance, "the sun" is たいよう, not たいよ and it's ではありません not でわありません (this is actually one of
the common basic mistakes amongst beginners).

We can't go through all the pages and details to check and give you feedback as JapanesePod101.com, but
you're welcome to ask us questions and/or confirming if you're right about Japanese grammar and/or writings.
Good luck!

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese Anime & Manga”