Or sign up using Facebook

Looking for suitable manga

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tanxln
New in Town

Looking for suitable manga

Postby tanxln » October 26th, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello everyone,
I need some recommendations and hope you can help me out. I'm looking for interesting manga series that fulfill the following requirements:
- no "occultism" or semi-religious topics (like in Death Note etc); philosophical stuff, dystopia or time travel are okay though
- preferably very little (explicit) violence
- not too much emphasis on romance;
- the series should be somewhat well-known, otherwise I won't be able to order it

Despite these restrictions, the books should be targeted at adults, I don't care whether it's shoyo, shonen or any other genre.

Thanks in advance!

watermen
Expert on Something

Re: Looking for suitable manga

Postby watermen » October 26th, 2009 6:59 pm

tanxln wrote:Hello everyone,
I need some recommendations and hope you can help me out. I'm looking for interesting manga series that fulfill the following requirements:
- no "occultism" or semi-religious topics (like in Death Note etc); philosophical stuff, dystopia or time travel are okay though
- preferably very little (explicit) violence
- not too much emphasis on romance;
- the series should be somewhat well-known, otherwise I won't be able to order it

Despite these restrictions, the books should be targeted at adults, I don't care whether it's shoyo, shonen or any other genre.

Thanks in advance!

Naruto is one of them. I love to watch it.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 26th, 2009 9:17 pm

I recommend よつばと!It's very funny. Sort of the flavour of Calvin and Hobbes without the tiger. But oddly it only works for me in Japanese. The translations don't seem to do it justice.
http://yotuba.com/yotu_comics.html
You can find a sample here.

Nebarik
New in Town

Postby Nebarik » November 7th, 2010 9:08 pm

what about lucky star. らき☆すた

it doesnt have anything you mentioned. its kind of like if seinfeld was cast by japanese school girls.
its a slice of life comedy about absolutely nothing. just a bunch of people talking and going about there day. ive been using the manga series to get my reading comprehension up and its pretty useful. kuroi-sensei, a character in it is a bit annoying so far, she is the token "uses weird japanese" character, which i swear you have to be native to understand sometimes.

Kaci
New in Town

Naruto

Postby Kaci » July 14th, 2012 1:17 am

I agree. Naruto is awesome. You'll love it.

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » July 14th, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you very much, everyone, for information!!
I'm not a very much "manga" person, so I don't have much idea... :oops:
But I usually recommnend "sazae-san", which is VERY famous and everyone knows (like sesame street for US people).
It's not meant for adults, but it's not childish either.

Natsuko/JapanesePod101.com

Kaci
New in Town

hey!!!!!

Postby Kaci » July 15th, 2012 3:05 pm

Natsuko! I listen to you all the time. It's like you're famous. Watashi wa Kaci desu! Yoroshiku Onegaishimas.

natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » July 17th, 2012 6:47 am

Kaci-san,
hajimemashite!! Yoroshiku onegai shimasu! :D
Actually, I think "Natsuko" you listen to is different Natsuko :oops: Sorry to disappoint you. Who knows? Some day you'll listen to this Natsuko too!? :lol:

Natsuko/JapanesePod101.com

neko25097
New in Town

Manga by Rumiko Takahashi

Postby neko25097 » August 13th, 2012 3:41 pm

Usually anything by Rumiko Takahashi is good to read, but there is some difference in the level of Japanese needed. Ranma 1/2 is the 'easiest' to read and Lamu by far the hardest. I sure everyone has there own idea about the easiest and hardest manga to read.

choneb9359
Been Around a Bit

Postby choneb9359 » September 29th, 2012 2:42 am

I've only seen these in thai or english, so I don't know how difficult the japanese in these animes/mangas are.
As the others had mentioned, I'd recommend
-Naruto
-One Piece
The characteristics of the stories here fits in with your criteria. They also come in the forms of manga and anime, so you can choose which format you like.

Be warned though that the anime version tends to have a lot of "fillers" (additional, not that related arc, to create a delay between the manga and the anime)

Hope that was useful.

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » June 21st, 2013 5:23 am

Honey and Clover- potential to be rather dull.
Lots of high school and university anime- names of particular escape- lots of choice there- such as Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.
Also Beck.

Naruto and One Piece have pretty explicit violence and if you don't like Occult than how you be OK with Naruto's Ninjitsu and some Shinto religion or One Piece's Pirate Magic.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 23rd, 2013 2:24 pm

cloa513ch2629
thank you very much for sharing info :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

asharpe19988356
New in Town

Postby asharpe19988356 » July 25th, 2013 1:35 am

Gakuen Alice is nice... its 30 volumes so its a bit of a read, but its very cute (at least when people aren't dying ;-;) It's shoujo though, I don't know if that'll work for you or not.

Return to “Japanese Anime & Manga”