Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Recommendations for iTouch/iPhone Apps

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Merryl
New in Town

Postby Merryl » July 27th, 2009 2:40 pm

I believe I've found the answer already ... but thanks for answering.
I'm after the mp3 lessons -- I use Playstation Portable

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » July 29th, 2009 2:55 pm

Well, I finally jail broke my itouch for the AnkiMini application. It took me all day, but it was totally, and completely worth it.

I went to Koohii and read about Heisig's remember the Kanji, and the website convinced me to switch over to this method, and use Anki for reps.

http://kanji.koohii.com/

Also, this site convinced me as well:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/

Anyway, Anki sure makes it easy for memorization. I believe it's the best itouch app I've downloaded to date. I also had to download ifile through Cydia, just for deleting all the testing decks I made while figuring out how Anki actually works.

Also, I downloaded the full version of Human Japanese and I wasn't disappointed. My only hang up, is that he introduces around 10-15 words per lesson - so I have to take time to memorize them all in Anki before I proceed. But, they are extremely useful words to know.

Does anyone know of any Japanese games I can download now that my itouch is jailbroken? I'm sure there's something out there. :)

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 29th, 2009 8:38 pm

I thought AnkiMini was the name for the online version. I have iAnki on my iTouch, which doesn't require jail breaking.

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » July 30th, 2009 2:26 pm

The version I got is called Ankimini, and I got it from Cydia. It's offline, which is what I wanted because when college classes start, I won't be able to hook up to wifi, and wifi on the itouch drains the battery.

Basically, I make the decks on the desktop version (so I can copy/paste, add colored words, bold print, etc.) and then I sync it to my online decks, and from there, I sync it straight to my itouch. So I can do that day's cards, and when I'm done, connect to wifi, and sync to the online decks so they're all on the same page.

iAnki requires wifi access, right? I tried installing iAnki on my itouch, and I kept running into problems with it. And I wanted a version that could run offline when I needed.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 30th, 2009 8:25 pm

ryowarrior18 wrote:The version I got is called Ankimini, and I got it from Cydia. It's offline, which is what I wanted because when college classes start, I won't be able to hook up to wifi, and wifi on the itouch drains the battery.

Basically, I make the decks on the desktop version (so I can copy/paste, add colored words, bold print, etc.) and then I sync it to my online decks, and from there, I sync it straight to my itouch. So I can do that day's cards, and when I'm done, connect to wifi, and sync to the online decks so they're all on the same page.

iAnki requires wifi access, right? I tried installing iAnki on my itouch, and I kept running into problems with it. And I wanted a version that could run offline when I needed.

iAnki is offline. You sync through your home network. You pretty much just enter the IP address in Safari. Beats jail breaking I think. I wish the developers would make an official app. They could make some money with it if they did, and it'd be much more convenient for us users.

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » July 31st, 2009 4:31 pm

I agree completely. I couldn't get the iAnki version to work on my itouch - and the forum isn't much help with problems either. The directions he has on there may be good for technologically savy users, but not for other people.

So, I resorted to jail-breaking my itouch, and when he does actually come out with a true application for the itouch, I'll reset my itouch and download that instead.

I really believe he will be able to make a lot of money off of Anki if he ever converts it to an application. I would be willing to pay around $10-20. But I think the desktop version is his primary goal right now. However, I look forward to the day when its made into a true app, but until then, I can't wait around and put off learning Kanji.

myjapanesestudy
New in Town

Hiragana and Katakana iPhone App

Postby myjapanesestudy » August 1st, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi everybody,
Just found this new app for iPhone..."Study Japanese - Hiragana and Katakana"..
I have many kana learning apps but have found them all to be a bit boring and have struggled to stay motivated. Also I am a bit lazy so when I am asked "Did you know this" my first answer is always.."yea, of course I did".
This new app actually feels like its teaching you. You have to enter your answers and it tells you whether you were right or wrong. In study mode it repeats until you enter the correct answer. In the Test you have you reach at least 80% before you can proceed to the next level.
At 99c its a absolute bargain!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 12th, 2009 8:47 am

If it's made by FutureJones, it looks cute and entertaining. Would be nice if they had something for kanji learning.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 19th, 2009 7:43 am

みなさん、こんにちは!

Has anyone found a 類語辞書「るいごじしょ」app? I would prefer an iPhone app, but if there is one available in another form I'd appreciate it.

For those who don't know it's a dictionary that lists quasi-synonym words. For example these words all mean about the same thing: tiny, small, microscopic, etc. but you wouldn't call a chihuahua microscopic. You'd call it either tiny or small.

If someone knows of one of these dictionaries, does it have examples of when a word is used?

Thanks!

Kafeen
New in Town

Postby Kafeen » November 17th, 2009 11:35 am

Does anyone know of any apps with handwriting recognition for Kanji?

I use Kotoba as a dictionary by sometimes I really need to be able to look up a specific Kanji character. Most of the Kanji apps I've seen seem to be flash card programs.

Does codefromtokyo's Japanese have it?

Edit:

Nevermind, I just found out that handwriting recognition can be turned on in the ipod's settings. It looked like Kotoba is capable of doing exactly what I want. Not bad for a free app. :D

ChimpImp
New in Town

Postby ChimpImp » December 8th, 2009 8:26 pm

I just got my ipod touch a couple of days ago, and some of the apps I'm currently using:

Ankimini: yeah...I had to jailbreak, but it is instantly worth it.
Kotoba
Human Japanese Lite: I installed it, but really haven't explored it...
Smartfm app: pretty good tool

All these are free. For the most part I like the flash card aspect of the Ankimini and smartfm, because it allows me to expand the material according to my current level...plus they're free.

I'm curious about the mywords app, mainly for the voice recording...

And for the handwriting recognition: if you go to general settings, you can set a Traditional Chinese keyboard that uses handwriting.

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » January 16th, 2010 11:37 pm

I bought 'Japanese' by Codefromtokyo.

This is a fantastic Japanese to English and English to Japanese dictionary, although not cheap, it's almost worth buying just for this alone. It also has a list of all the words and kanji for JLPT 4 through to JLPT1. It has the stroke order for kana and kanji, but what I like the most though, is that it now has a flashcard section which you can use without needing a wireless net connection.

kamitoki
New in Town

Postby kamitoki » January 18th, 2010 11:55 am

Question: Does having an itouch than an iphone have any difference in your learning of Japanese?

Thanks for all your input.

ynothna03
New in Town

Postby ynothna03 » January 18th, 2010 3:22 pm

Is there any application for iphone that plays audio lessons that focuses on vocabulary?
like playing an ordinary mp3 song but instead it plays continuous vocabulary japanese-english words traslation.
thanks in advance

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » January 18th, 2010 8:47 pm

kamitoki, as far as I'm aware, the only difference between an itouch and iphone is that an itouch won't make phone calls and doesn't have a GPS. So for learning Japanese an itouch will do everything that an iphone will do, but just cheaper to buy.

ynothna03, I haven't heard of an application like that, but If you're a JPod101 premium user, you can download the vocab mpgs and listen to vocab that way, though I do recommend using flashcards if you can.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”