Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji book

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

DaemonForce
Been Around a Bit

Postby DaemonForce » February 11th, 2009 3:25 am

sweetneet wrote:(nowadays with computer usage, even native japanese forget how to actually write the kanji).

No with too much IMEpad the Japanese forget how to write. I find it to be strange because it's too difficult to forget the basic alphabet. I'm guessing it's because I see it everywhere. Proof of this being the case works with my loss of cursive. There are certain characters I NEVER use and since I haven't the need for such characters and I rarely see them, I've forgotten a bit of it.

Give an educated Japanese student or boss a TABLET and they probably don't abuse the IMEpad so much when they can just write. This will probably help them remember a bit more but it doesn't mean anything if they're not frequently interacting with these characters. This is proves how weird a brain can be.
sweetneet wrote:anyway i don't get why there's so much controversy over this method. i get that it may not be for everyone..but for some (like me) it worked wonders. i would never discourage someone from using RTK method.

Most people don't like the Heisig method because it forces a bunch of English garbage into memory recall whenever you think of a character. If you try linking a story in Japanese instead of English, it might work somewhat better. Still, if you're able to link Japanese stories to kanji just to insure memory, you should probably be studying something other than kanji by that point. :?

I just don't like some of it because the order that the characters are introduced seems a little unnatural to me. Then again, what isn't going to feel strange about something that isn't English? :arrow:

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » February 11th, 2009 12:17 pm

DaemonForce wrote:Most people don't like the Heisig method because it forces a bunch of English garbage into memory recall whenever you think of a character. If you try linking a story in Japanese instead of English, it might work somewhat better. Still, if you're able to link Japanese stories to kanji just to insure memory, you should probably be studying something other than kanji by that point. :?

Are these people who have actually used Heisig's method, or are they just guessing? Anybody can stand back and fire random shots at things, but they don't -mean- anything.

DaemonForce wrote:I just don't like some of it because the order that the characters are introduced seems a little unnatural to me. Then again, what isn't going to feel strange about something that isn't English? :arrow:

The order doesn't matter at all beyond the fact that primitives come before they are used in other kanji. It isn't designed to teach you everything about the kanji, just to recognize them. After, you learn like normal, except that you've already got all the kanji-recognition pain out of the way and can just learn. It's a tool to speed up the rest of your learning, not a be-all-end-all solution for learning Japanese.

And like it or not, it works very well for many people. While I didn't use RTK, I did use a similar method and it has been very, very helpful. With kanji I already recognize, I learn vocabulary a lot faster than with kanji that I don't recognize.

Join by May 6th
Earl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Earl » February 11th, 2009 6:34 pm

Wow! My topics still running. :P

Definatly reccomend basic kanji book. Just got the second vol.

I was always put off learning kanji by reading here how hard it was but ive been doing great. Ive got a good understanding of the first 100 already. Im currently learning the kanji for verbs which is great because ive just been learning how to conjugate my own. I usually manage about 1 or 2 hours with this book a day but i read through it also and use my known kanji when i rewrite the pdfs at jpod.

Sorry, im brimming with optimism today. :D

Never heard of studying too much :?: Id love to study for more hours but sadly ive got to work.

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » February 11th, 2009 7:00 pm

Earl wrote:Never heard of studying too much :?: Id love to study for more hours but sadly ive got to work.

If you over study a single item, you put it into short term memory and then it disappears when you stop studying. If you follow an SRS's pattern of studying, it forces your brain to recognize that the item will be needed in the future, and it stores it in long-term memory. That's why SRS's work as well as they do, and why over-studying is bad. And why you should never short-cycle the SRS and study items early.

Earl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Earl » February 11th, 2009 7:18 pm

What exactly is an SRS study pattern? I cant seem to find anything about it. :?

My study techniques usually just consist of Studying, Memorising and Reviewing. Simple but effective i find.

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » February 11th, 2009 8:25 pm

Earl wrote:What exactly is an SRS study pattern? I cant seem to find anything about it. :?

My study techniques usually just consist of Studying, Memorising and Reviewing. Simple but effective i find.

SRS is Spaced Repetition System. It means that you study the material in increasing intervals. So as long as you keep remembering something, there is a longer period of time between each study period for that item.

For instance (and this is made up and not optimal) perhaps you study the item, then study it again 8 hours later. Then you study it 24 hours after that. Then 2 days after. Then 4 days after. At some point, the period is so long it's not actually necessary to keep studying it.

If you forget it, the period is decreased, of course.

Anki is probably the most popular SRS program right now. Others you may have heard of include Supermemo and Mnemosyne. iKnow is somewhat based on SRS as well, but I don't think it's well tuned yet. (That doesn't stop me from loving it!)

Earl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Earl » February 11th, 2009 9:01 pm

Interesting. How do these programs work? Are they kanji only? Do they cover the kanji you already know or is it just random. I once played a game that was sort of like this. "Knuckles in china land."(A kana memorising game) although i preferred the textbook.

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » February 11th, 2009 9:39 pm

Earl wrote:Interesting. How do these programs work? Are they kanji only? Do they cover the kanji you already know or is it just random. I once played a game that was sort of like this. "Knuckles in china land."(A kana memorising game) although i preferred the textbook.

Anki is available for a number of systems including Windows, Mac, Linux and iPhone. As far as I know, it can handle any input you throw at it, in any language.

As far as what it covers, Anki uses 'decks' of cards. It comes standard with some useful ones, including one based on the RTK book. You can also make your own decks or download other people's. You can make a deck all at once, and have it feed you 20 new cards a day, or just make new cards as you like. (20 is the default, you can change that.)

I'm far from an expert in SRS systems, so I can't really answer beyond the basics I've outlined now. There is a lot of info on the web about Anki and how to best use it, though.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 11th, 2009 11:45 pm

DaemonForce wrote:Most people don't like the Heisig method because it forces a bunch of English garbage into memory recall whenever you think of a character. If you try linking a story in Japanese instead of English, it might work somewhat better. Still, if you're able to link Japanese stories to kanji just to insure memory, you should probably be studying something other than kanji by that point. :?

I just don't like some of it because the order that the characters are introduced seems a little unnatural to me. Then again, what isn't going to feel strange about something that isn't English? :arrow:

The stories are purely image-based; you don't memorise a paragraph of prose, you make a memory out of the character. The only language used is in the keywords, and since most people who start Heisig have been studying less than a month, attempting to concurrently learn 2042 new Japanese words (and X-thousand readings, like some nutters suggest), which pose their own problems in remembering, isn't going to help you with 2042 even harder to remember kanji.

The sole purpose of the keywords is to trigger the memory, just like hearing somebody's name will remind you of their face, so the language itself is immaterial. This link is the most important thing of all, and something people who don't use the book are completely lacking. As long as you can keep this link active, you'll never forget the character. Traditionalists don't actively 'store' the character in their minds, they just hope that, passively, their minds will do it for them, and recall it for them, if they write it out enough.

Imagine you'd been studying 9 months like our friend here had been. You've kept up to par with your listening, speaking, grammar, and vocabulary (Heisig users do actually do this), and with a bit of revision could probably pass the JLPT4. The difference is that you can write kanji to a JLPT1 level, and have 3 or so years to catch up with the reading, which won't be distracted by kanji learning, as you've already done it. You won't spend 30 minutes writing out one character 100 times, you'll spend it learning to read, listening to JPod, e-mailing your penpal - studying Japanese. Whether or not this is the "best" method is always going to be debatable, but in what way is it a disadvantage?

DaemonForce
Been Around a Bit

Postby DaemonForce » February 12th, 2009 3:34 am

Javizy wrote:The sole purpose of the keywords is to trigger the memory, just like hearing somebody's name will remind you of their face, so the language itself is immaterial.

Seeing as how I don't care for people and care even less for their names, I have a trigger problem on several kanji. I don't imagine a story or even parts of a story I link to the character. Just a meaningful term and a few pronunciations. Maybe some rules on how to use the character will come to mind if there are any but Heisig works a little bit and then I run out of steam really fast.

The links begin to cross-link.

I stress a point on usage. If I don't use what I learn, I have a much higher chance of forgetting the character and how to use it.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 12th, 2009 8:55 pm

DaemonForce wrote:
Javizy wrote:The sole purpose of the keywords is to trigger the memory, just like hearing somebody's name will remind you of their face, so the language itself is immaterial.

Seeing as how I don't care for people and care even less for their names, I have a trigger problem on several kanji. I don't imagine a story or even parts of a story I link to the character. Just a meaningful term and a few pronunciations. Maybe some rules on how to use the character will come to mind if there are any but Heisig works a little bit and then I run out of steam really fast.

This is all very subjective, isn't it? If you have a hard time using this mnemonic system, then it isn't for you. Saying that the technique is useless because it didn't work for you is just as bad as me saying it works 100% of the time, and it's your fault if it doesn't. People are different. There are different methods available. The obvious solution is to use the one that works for you.

If you still believe your criticism from your previous post, then you have to believe that everybody using the book is just like you, and that people like me and many others haven't had success with it. It's easy to say 'no Japanese' and 'no readings', but it's incredibly hard to learn and remember all three at once in anything close to the 6-9months mentioned. It just seems like every criticism I read completely disregards this. How much do people really expect to learn in this period of time? And I thought I was ambitious with my Japanese studies :shock:

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 13th, 2009 5:06 pm

Javizy wrote:It's easy to say 'no Japanese' and 'no readings', but it's incredibly hard to learn and remember all three at once in anything close to the 6-9months mentioned.

I think what is probably at the core is two differing styles of learning or two different interim desires.

Heisig --> learn a large chunk concentrating on 2 tasks in a relatively short time. (kanji plus english keyword)
Complete knowledge is deferred until this task is complete. The payoff is being more comfortable with kanji, and having knowledge of a more or less complete set needed for literacy. Quicker ability to write by hand (on a keyboard not so much I'd say) The general knowledge of an English keyword while it has it's limitations should allow you to extract/guess some meaning from an unknown text.

non-Heisig --> In smaller chunks learn complete information on a kanji that you already have an immediate use for. This will involve lets say 6 tasks per kanji perhaps. If it's tied into existing Japanese knowledge I see no compelling reason that it is any more difficult than learning several kanji concentrating on English keyword alone. (leaving aside memorisation tactics) The payoff for non-Heisig is immediate use and integration with the learners spoken knowledge. The tradeoff is, it will take longer to cover 2000 characters (perhaps, remember Heisig isn't fully complete until you can put Japanese to the characters. I'd be willing to guess the two groups converge over time. ) You are more constrained to operating at your level of spoken Japanese.
However I feel there are diminishing returns in learning kanji (or vocabulary), some words are more common and therefore more important and more useful. Also the words you need or the words that interest you get memorised faster and better and are more likely to get constant use.
My inability to spell chrysanthemum is similar to an inability to write 菊, although I can read it ok, maybe if I had more interest in flowers...

I personally believe that self directed (from the outset) learners seem to prefer Heisig and those whose introduction to the language was via the classroom seem to prefer non-Heisig.

I also think that the only measurement you can use is a real world functional ability with kanji. That means ability to write them in sentences and read and understand in Japanese. Ability to pass Kanken level 6 would be my benchmark, a test aimed at those having completed elementary school. or level sub 2 which has the knowledge of someone having completed high school, but I think you could claim literacy if you can operate on the same level as a smart post primary school Japanese.

On non-Heisig assumptions and misconceptions. I would say it is rarely done through practising drawing the kanji alone. That might be the way people start but before long they notice the radicals (components, primitives) and remember kanji in that fashion. Nor are readings crammed. To an extent you can do this for kunyomi but onyomi rarely have meaning without other kanji. Again eventually you realise that learning through example words and usually words you already know is the best way. To give a single reading for a character I'd say Japanese work backwards from a known jyukugo.

The unfortunate thing about non-Heisig is that memorising the individual kanji is never addressed properly. That is one huge plus of Heisig, he gives a method for learning an individual kanji. Mostly non-Heisig tends to ignore this. However I have found that Japanese school children's books do address this issue. And some other kanji books are quite systematic in breaking kanji down into radicals and groupings around onyomi using the same radical.

The Heisig stories are the biggest issue people have with Heisig. For some they don't suit their style. For me I look at a character and for the life of me can't come up with stories about it, nor do other peoples stories work. I just see the components as components. I prefer to see the actual logic behind the character to help me remember than to make something up.
Also some people see stories as an unnecessary overhead. If you do think this way it's going to be hard to get past it and that will hamper you even if you do start using stories I feel.

I am paradoxially following Heisigs order and concentrating on English keywords at the moment. (I still don't like the book) I keep on hitting bumps with H's choice of English keyword, and find that the character only clicks when I can relate it to Japanese usage. It seems I need that extra hook for the character to be meaningful. I'm also a bit stumped as to what to do with these kanji I only have an English keyword for.
The other thing I wonder about is "Is memorisation learning; is learning acquisition?"
There's an extra leap from memorisation to using a character with ease within a flow of language.

I think there's potential for improvement both to Heisig and traditional methods.
However, it may well be better done by someone who understands kanji and educational methods and not a learner. A learner should probably just get on with it with the resources they can find "off the shelf" that seem to make sense to them. In the end what does it matter what anyone else uses. Learning Japanese is a long term endeavour, you should enjoy yourself along the way and concentrate on using what you know rather than get hung up on pointless arguments over styles. (I think we're all just passionate and opinionated about Japanese and want to share our views and experiences)

And as to effectiveness, all there is is opinion and personal endorsements. I have never come across any studies about effectiveness or methodologies for learning kanji, so there is no objective evidence one way or another on this matter to the best of my knowledge.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 13th, 2009 6:03 pm

Belton wrote:remember Heisig isn't fully complete until you can put Japanese to the characters.

You need to put Japanese to the characters using non-Heisig methods, too. Whichever method you use to learn how to identify a particular kanji - whether it's Heisig or non-Heisig - there will then be an additional step of learning which words use that kanji, and how those words are pronounced. Heisig just speeds up the process of identifying each particular kanji.

I don't think, for example, that there's any great advantage of learning each possible reading for a kanji in isolation. The only way to know whether 急 should be read いそ or きゅ is by learning particular words (急がし and 急行 for example). So although Heisig doesn't teach you the readings, you'll learn them when you learn the words. Traditional methods might teach you the readings, but you'll still need to learn which ones to use when you learn the words.

Also some people see stories as an unnecessary overhead.

I really think, though, that in this case those people are just wrong. I understand that everyone's brain is different etc., but I think that mnemonics and stories will help anybody's ability to memorise stuff. But I think it's the very fact that some people see stories as an unnecessary overhead that prevents them from using these systemes - because they refuse to really give it a go. There's a good section in Barry Farber's book about learning languages, and another in one of Derren Brown's books, both of which, I think, demonstrate very clearly that these systems work (these passages basically consist of mnemonics that you read without realising they're mnemonics. Then they ask you to remember stuff that they've just told you and, surprisingly, you'll find that you can).

Barry Farber goes on to explain that these stories are like scaffolding: you build them quickly and they stay in place while you proceed to build the real thing, but fall away when you no longer need them. When I see 急がし or 急行 now, I just see two words, and I can barely recall the Heisig keyword. But if I want to draw that kanji, I can also recall an old witch *binding up* a load of *broomsticks* because she's in such a rush (except her resultant super-powered broomstick is so fast that it's bad for her *heart*).

Of course, if you're reluctant to really give it a go, then these systems are as useless as if they actually don't work, so I'm only arguing a semantic point here - but, hey, that's what the internet's for, right?

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » February 13th, 2009 7:26 pm

Taurus wrote:but I think that mnemonics and stories will help anybody's ability to memorise stuff.

Sorry to break it to you, but that just isn't true. I memorize much easier with just the facts and no crazy mnemonics or pretty pictures in my head. I am not an imaginitive person, I'm a logical one. I can write facts all day long, but ask me to write a story and ... Well, you'll get a really, really boring story.

I tried RTK. I simply cannot whip up pictures of these stories in my head, so that whole part of the process is lost to me. It's simply impossible. Even if it were drawn out on paper, I wouldn't be able to pull it back up in my head. Ask me to describe my mother's face and I'll tell you she wears glasses. What kind? I don't know.

RTK is amazing for the people it works for. For everyone else, it's nothing. To be honest, I think most people are in the 'works for' category, but not everyone.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 13th, 2009 7:42 pm

Yeah, I am pretty good at memorising facts without mnemonics too, and I hated the idea of mnemonics and I refused to use them for ages. Now, though, I use them regularly and I'm even better at memorising facts.

I know we're just going to have to disagree on this point, but I think it's your belief that you're not good at using mnemonics that prevents you from using them effectively. Like I say, though, I'm only arguing a semantic point and the net result is the same: Heisig is no good to you. You could try reading those passages that I mentioned, though, because maybe they'll change your mind (or, of course, they may not!).

(By the way, I don't whip up stories either; it sometimes takes quite a while to come up with a good one, and sometimes I find that I have to go back and come up with a new one - if, for example, I find that my story is too close to another story, or I find that a word or kanji isn't sticking in my memory.)

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”