a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

iPhone

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » July 30th, 2008 7:49 am

Iphone just got better !!!!

A free application for browsing all of Jim Breen's Edict dictionaries is now available in the appstore, under the name wwwJDic (you might want to look under Education if you're using the mobile AppStore from your phone; I couldn't locate it using the search engine...)
It's very nice, supports EN-JAP and JAP-EN search, as well as Kanji look-up. You can also use the writing pad input (in chinese keyboard) to look up japanese kanjis and words !
さっぱり分からない !...

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » July 31st, 2008 8:12 am

Iphone got even better today !!!!

For those of us with a mixi account, there's now a mixi app available in the appstore, under "social networking".

The application will let you update your mixi blog, add pictures to it, see your 足あと, see the comments to your blogs or your communities, see the new pictures, new blogs, and new reviews of your friends.

I've just started using it, but it doesn't seem, at least right now, that you can see or answer your private messages...

anyways... うれしい!!!
さっぱり分からない !...

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 1st, 2008 7:04 am

Softbank won't talk to you unless you show a passport and credit card.(≧▽≦)

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » August 1st, 2008 8:44 am

the mixi app is ok. seems like it's just the mixi toolbar converted into an iphone app.

gonna check out that dictionary app.

a word of warning about iphone in japan.
the kanji conversion is REALLY slow, especially if listening to music.
it took 10 seconds the other for ともだち to convert to 友達

なんでだろうな?

i heard that this latency problem will be addressed in an upcoming update.

i really hope that it adds copy & paste and e-moji support.
writing e-mail without e-moji is, like, so uncool. :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » August 1st, 2008 3:14 pm

markystar wrote:i really hope that it adds copy & paste and e-moji support.
writing e-mail without e-moji is, like, so uncool. :lol:

However, the iphone supports 顔文字. Type かおもz (like that... not the full かおもじ) on the QWERTY japanese keyboard, and you get a menu with quite a lot of them.
If you try えもz, you get a choice of ... 4 (!!!) 絵文字, so hopefully there will be more in the future ...
さっぱり分からない !...

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » August 2nd, 2008 12:45 am

I've been wondering: are iPhones able to send non Japanese/Roman characters to each other in Japan? For example Korean? I've not been able to find a phone with Japanese input (before the iPhone) in shanghai, and being able to send msgs in Japanese would make me consider the iPhone.

Of course I'm assuming that if you can send Korean messages in Japan you can send Japanese messages in china.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » August 2nd, 2008 9:48 am

maxさん、i'm pretty sure if you change the language to korean, you can do it. but i haven't tried since i can't read/write/speak more than 3-4 korean words. lol.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

aehlke
New in Town

Postby aehlke » August 27th, 2008 9:36 pm

maxiewawa wrote:I've been wondering: are iPhones able to send non Japanese/Roman characters to each other in Japan? For example Korean? I've not been able to find a phone with Japanese input (before the iPhone) in shanghai, and being able to send msgs in Japanese would make me consider the iPhone.

Of course I'm assuming that if you can send Korean messages in Japan you can send Japanese messages in china.

Well I got a 3G iPhone in America and I can type Japanese and Chinese on it, and I think there's a korean keyboard option built in too. So I assume it's the same in Japan.

But Japanese kana-to-kanji on the iPhone stinks. It's sooo slow.

typeslowly
New in Town

Postby typeslowly » August 28th, 2008 12:45 pm

The iPhone in Japan is only 80,000円 if you have less than 15 month on your visa. I have an iPhone and walked out without paying 1円 as it will be applied in installments over the next two years I think its slighty more than 1200円 a month for the phone. The plans are competitive as well. If somebody had 4 months left on their visa and they gave them an iPhone and the customer left the country then softbank would be out of the money that is due for the phone because the iPhones are subsidized from apple.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”