Or sign up using Facebook

Need help with how to fill a postcard.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Faiti
New in Town

Need help with how to fill a postcard.

Postby Faiti » July 26th, 2008 5:33 am

Hi y'all

I'm in Japan and I want to send some postcards, but somewhere I read that I can get charged extra for writing in the address field (which I suppose is the side with the little squares and the space for the stamp), I really need to know about it, and I am also wondering, do I have to put the post code in the squares? or just jot it down with the rest of the address?

Thanks in advance

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 28th, 2008 12:52 pm

Never heard that and not mentioned here:
Japan Post International Rates

For letters it does mention something about the address portion but not on the international mail section.

My advice - by a 70 yen stamp separately, stick it on the card and post it.

When sending parcels or birthday cards they will ask you if there is a letter included - apparently then they charge you for the parcel and the letter. Draw your own conclusions from that one...

Get 40% OFF
hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » July 28th, 2008 2:49 pm

http://happy-mama.com/37_manners/p_man/37_let_05.html

Sorry it is written in Japanese.

The side which has 5 squares is for the recipient's address and your address.
5 squares are for the zip code.

A=recipient's address (you can write it horizontally)
B=recipient's name
C=date (can be omitted)
D=your address and your name

The example on the right side on the site I linked is an example for a picture card that you can't write your massage on the side that a picture is printed.
You draw a horizontal line to divide the address from your message.

Please make sure that do NOT decorate the side for the address. It could be cause of extra charge.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 31st, 2008 12:44 am

That's more for domestic post cards that probably have the message on the other side. For Tourist post cards I really don't think it would make too much difference.

The biggest challenge is finding post cards, at least good ones, in the first place! Japanese use post cards more for things like New Year and advertising not for sending "wish you were here" comments to friends back home. When we go on holiday my wife never sends post cards home whichI find a little strange...

Return to “Visiting Japan”