a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A list of things to bring with you

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

A list of things to bring with you

Postby jkid » July 25th, 2008 1:53 am

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread listing recommendations from users about what to bring over to Japan if you are going to be living in there for any length of time. To make this thread a handy reference any further additions by someone who has already contributed could be added by editing their previous post.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » July 25th, 2008 1:55 am

Paracetamol - as the Paracetamol available in Japan may not be as strong as the Paracetamol which is sold in your home country.

Join by May 6th
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » July 25th, 2008 2:23 am

A lot of people say this, but you'll definitely want your own deodorant and toothpaste. As a rule of thumb, when it comes to health and hygiene, you can count on there being some big differences in what's available. If you can't do without a specific brand of product, you'll want to bring a supply along with you.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » July 25th, 2008 6:40 am

money

I'm serious, you can never bring too much money. In case of any emergency, where ever your going its always safe to bring extra money with you :P

If I still have space I want to bring my pillow :twisted: just can't sleep without it lol

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 28th, 2008 11:10 pm

I went on a trade mission to Japan a few years ago, organised by the British government. I remember asking the guy we met out there what he missed most about Britain, and his answer was baked beans - even though he didn't really like them when he lived in England. So maybe bring some beans with you.

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » July 29th, 2008 4:57 am

If your shoes are over size 28 cm (10.5 US), you'll want to bring enough shoes to last for the duration of your trip. I wear a 13 US (31 cm) and I've never seen shoes my size here. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I don't know where. Occasionally, I'll see a 29 or 30, but even those are pretty rare. And if you're tall, t-shirts here are usually short. This is a bit frustrating because I like the shirts here and even though they fit, I don't particularly want to show everyone my underwear.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 30th, 2008 12:48 am

Definitely deoderant - I hate that powder stuff they have here but toothpaste is not a problem - in Tokyo at least.

For the Brits - branston pickle is usually high on the list! If you bring your bicycle over rememeber to register it whilst you have still got the shipping notice (very long story!).

Also for the Brits - some Peacock supermarkets stock some Waiterose goods and ther are Tesco's now in certain areas.

If you are coming for the long haul and have to furnish a place you will want to bring curtains! If you don't you will soon understand when you go and buy some here....

And here is a tip for 2 year ex-pats. Want you favourite magazines? Pay for international redirection and take out a subscription at your home country address. Most foreign magazines (if you can find them) are over 3 times the cover price... (It's amazing how many people do not think of that...)

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 1st, 2008 4:04 am

A size smaller or two of your favorite clothing. If you're like me with some extra weight at the beginning, you'll quickly lose it. I lost 10 kilos (around 22 lbs) since March because of a change in lifestyle. Now if I could lose another 10 kilos I'll be happy, and my knees/feet will thank me. You don't have to bring alot, but just enough until you go shopping.

Favorite permanent hair color if you have gray hair. Products here suck!!

Favorite book or two.

Hikaritennyo
Been Around a Bit

Postby Hikaritennyo » November 26th, 2009 10:03 pm

I have to agree about the shoes.
Being a woman with Sasquatch feet, I would have to resort to Men's shoes.
Also, I always need to try things on, so I can't rely on catalogs!

One thing to consider is setting up a mailing point with a relative where they can send you necessities as needed. My sis-in-law lives in Germany and she gets bi-annual care packages from the States.
Beginning is easy
Continuing is hard

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » November 26th, 2009 10:41 pm

Psy wrote:A lot of people say this, but you'll definitely want your own deodorant and toothpaste. As a rule of thumb, when it comes to health and hygiene, you can count on there being some big differences in what's available. If you can't do without a specific brand of product, you'll want to bring a supply along with you.

I've seen bigger name supermarkets and drug stores carry at least Aquafresh, and Ban. Let me tell you, that Ban does work a lot better than the Japanese brands in August!

For shoes, there is a place in Shinjuku that sells large shoes, the smallest is 25cm. Best way to look is go to Google maps and type in 大きい靴 ookii kutsu in the area of your choice. It'll be easier to find things if you use use kanji.

Shoe repair shops are big business here. I should get around to getting my fixed so I can wear them again.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”