a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Has anyone heard of 'Peace Boat'

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

hairlet
Been Around a Bit

Has anyone heard of 'Peace Boat'

Postby hairlet » June 23rd, 2008 12:22 pm

If anyone has read one of my previous posts, they will understand that I am seeking ways of immersing myself in Japanese Language for a few months - to try and accelerate my learning.

One way of doing this would be to volunteer as an English teacher aboard the 'Peace Boat' - an NGO that sales around the world for 3 months, promoting peace and generally undertaking charitable tasks.

Trouble is, I cannot find much on the internet about this organisation, apart from the official website - http://www.peaceboat.org/english/index.html.

So my question is - has anyone got any experience/stories/friends who have been involved in Peace Boat. Any insight into the organisation and how this works would be invaluable to me.

Many thanks,
J

liralen42
New in Town

Peace Boat

Postby liralen42 » June 23rd, 2008 2:35 pm

What would you like to know about Peace Boat? I don't check this very often, so sorry if I do not respond.

Get 40% OFF
hairlet
Been Around a Bit

Postby hairlet » June 23rd, 2008 2:44 pm

Well, firstly, would I qualify as an English teacher? I am English with good, clear pronounciation. However, I have no experience as an English teacher.

Secondly, what kind of experience would I get? If you know anyone who has been then I would love a recount of how they got on..

Sorry for the rushed response.

liralen42
New in Town

Postby liralen42 » June 23rd, 2008 7:38 pm

Unfortunately, two years of teaching experience is required. That would be the first step to getting on. But no worries, after you get that, you should apply! Everything is pretty clear in the application package about the requirements. So, perhaps you should request one or download one if it is still available from the website.

You will get experience with experiential learning, working closely in a team, creating events, creating programs, developing curriculums, running exchange events and tours, and more depending on where your interests lie and how you contribute to life on the boat mizukara.

Hope that answeres your question!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”