Or sign up using Facebook

Rakugo - Traditional Japanese Comedy

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Debesso
New in Town

Rakugo - Traditional Japanese Comedy

Postby Debesso » June 5th, 2006 11:01 am

Has anyone seen rakugo before?

Recently 3 famous rakugo comedians came to my uni but unfortunatly I missed out on it cuz i was busy...

I was wondering, what is it that makes it unique...? (aside from the obvious traditional dress and sitting position).

Debesso
New in Town

Postby Debesso » June 5th, 2006 11:12 am

well I found this since my last post... good ol wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakugo

Get 40% OFF
Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 6th, 2006 3:59 pm

I haven't seen much rakugo by TV Japan. But I do regularily watch a show called "shouten" which is very famous in Japan and has been on the air for a long time. Although most of the regular performers on shouten also do rakugo the show isn't really "rakugo" by itself. I usually only understand about 1/4 of the jokes but I am getting better. The show is actually really funny.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 9th, 2006 9:15 pm

deb, i just joined..and i don't even know if you are still here..or if you found out this information now...but, ifyou want to get an "interesting" introduction to the world of Raguko....i would suggest watching the jdorama "tiger & Dragon". It won a number of japanese "emmy" awards. Best actor, supporting actor, writing.

It is all about a yakuza that wants to be a raguko and the son of a famous raguko family, who wants to be a fashion designer. VEry witty and just well-written, well-crafted show. you can go to j-addicts.com and search for it, download it on bittorrent.

i have put up a direct download in my blog, you can check out the first ep here:
http://mrs-urahara.livejournal.com/50673.html#cutid1 (scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the links. It's divided into parts, for most file-share sites would not allow me to upload the ep. in one piece. ) it's DEFINITELY worth a watch. ^____^

and, if this babble, and too late....Hontoni Gomenesai!

ar1257
New in Town

Postby ar1257 » October 21st, 2007 7:32 pm

If you're feeling academic, check out the book Understanding Humor in Japan by Jessica Milner Davis, which features a chapter on rakugo, as well as other forms of Japanese humor. (Full disclosure: I'm an intern for Wayne State University Press, the publisher of the book. But rest assured that I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it.)
ロバーツ

I'm a robot. Bleep, blorp.

vicdelmonte9426
New in Town

Postby vicdelmonte9426 » October 24th, 2010 7:44 pm

lulu_chan wrote:deb, i just joined..and i don't even know if you are still here..or if you found out this information now...but, ifyou want to get an "interesting" introduction to the world of Raguko....i would suggest watching the jdorama "tiger & Dragon". It won a number of japanese "emmy" awards. Best actor, supporting actor, writing.

It is all about a yakuza that wants to be a raguko and the son of a famous raguko family, who wants to be a fashion designer. VEry witty and just well-written, well-crafted show. you can go to j-addicts.com and search for it, download it on bittorrent. Cheapest Vegas Shows

i have put up a direct download in my blog, you can check out the first ep here:
http://mrs-urahara.livejournal.com/50673.html#cutid1 (scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the links. It's divided into parts, for most file-share sites would not allow me to upload the ep. in one piece. ) it's DEFINITELY worth a watch. ^____^

and, if this babble, and too late....Hontoni Gomenesai!

Great show. Anyone else have any recommendations regarding Raguko?
Cheers,
Vic

Return to “Japanese History & Tradition”