a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

anki-esque flashcard plug-in for Open Office

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

markystar
Site Admin

anki-esque flashcard plug-in for Open Office

Postby markystar » April 3rd, 2008 2:13 pm

if you use Open Office, you might be interested in this plugin.
i haven't tried it myself yet, but i did DL it today, hope to give it a shot over the weekend.
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OpenCards

i copied this from their site:

OpenCards is a flashcard learning extension for OpenOffice Impress. The basic idea of OpenCards is to use slide-titles as flashcard fronts and the slide contents as their backs. Based on state-of-the-art memorization and scheduling algorithms OpenCards will help you to learn any set of flashcards.

http://www.opencards.info

OpenCards allows to use all your existing Impress-presentations as flashcard-sets without any conversion. To learn more without creating cards on your own, flashcard-sets shared by other users can be downloaded from the OpenCards-flashcards-repository at http://wiki.opencards.info/ . There you're welcome to share your own flashcards with the lastingly growing OpenCards-community.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » April 4th, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks Marky, I'm gonna check this out right now! :)

Get 40% OFF
josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » April 4th, 2008 11:14 am

cool guys,
i'd love to hear your review and how it compares to anki :)
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » April 4th, 2008 1:12 pm

I really hope Open Office does well and causes the frustrating s**t-piece that Microsoft has forced us to use for the past God knows how long some major problems

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 4th, 2008 4:09 pm

Let the MS hate flow.... :)

Mac user all the way! Oh, Open Office is great.
お茶漬け海苔

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » April 6th, 2008 2:00 am

Yes, I don't really understand why people (at least in a home setting) would use anything but.

So, I have been using Open Cards for a while since my last post to see how I would go with it. Here are my thoughts:

GOOD
- I seem to be remembering the words - (a must, right?)

- Not as restrictive as other flash card applications. You can customise the slide to add pictures or change text color that makes using the program "less boring".

- Easy to add new cards or import .opt slides for use within the program. I haven't used a previously made .opt slide yet but I know it's just a matter of opening the file

- Graph of learning progress

- No need to install another application as Open Cards is built as an extension for Open Office.

- Always up to date through Open Office.

BAD
- Lack of support. Most more popular programs i.e. JFC have text book vocab already written out by a third party and uploaded to the web somewhere so you don't have to bother entering it yourself to create flash-card sets.

- Difficult to understand (at least for me) the scheduling and learning progress portion of the program. When it asks me how I remembered my cards. If I remember them I usually just click "so so" because otherwise it won't test me on those words for a while and I want to practice each everyday.

- PowerPoint presentations can't be used for vocab slides from what I can see. Microsoft formats are more common so the chances of someone being able to utilise an already made presentation for flashcards is slim.

------------------------
I know I didn't compare Anki to Open Cards but I have never really used Anki. It just didn't work well for me. I should go back and try it but JFC is what I ended up using until Open Cards. As it stands I will use Open Cards for vocab I want to learn that isn't in my textbook (for which JFC already has flashcard sets written).

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 6th, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, I don't really understand why people (at least in a home setting) would use anything but.

At first I didn't like, neither did my wife. I mean, it did the job well, but it wasn't really well integrated into the Mac OS (windows people had it better). I didn't really like having to run X Windows. Anyhow, now that NeoOffice ( http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php) is available, there's really no reason not to use it.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”