Or sign up using Facebook

iphone use for premium? web app?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mastersjn
New in Town

iphone use for premium? web app?

Postby mastersjn » March 2nd, 2008 1:49 am

Konichiwa

I am new to this site (and learning Japanese, maybe I used the wrong hello), and didn't find any posts relating to iphone (by searching iphone).

I like the idea of the learn on the go, but with an iphone, I am not able to set up as an external drive, so I cant move the pdfs over like I could on an ipod classic. It seems my world is based on Web Apps. Any chance you are planning to make the on the go part of the premium subscription available that way? Something to make it easier than surfing to the main site (I can do, but clumsy that way). If comcast can set up a web interface for mail for this, maybe not too hard? There is already a site to help with strokes (see iphone.marinebat.com, called gahon for iphone)

Anyway, it is the only issue keeping me from going premium

Agrigato goziamasu in advance

Jeff

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » March 2nd, 2008 7:30 am

hi there!

i don't have an iPhone (not available here yet) and i don't have an iTouch (seems apple didn't port all the features from old iPods to the new ones and the new HD size hasn't convinced me to upgrade yet), but the listeners do.

a few threads where the iPhone, iTouch got mentioned are listed below:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... ght=itouch

i know one of the biggestt complaints i heard was that the Lyrics and iPod Info tags don't display on the iPhone and iTouch. i'm not sure if they've fixed this, but it seems like it would be addressed soon, as these are popular features - not only on our site.

the PDF's are viewable on the iPhone and iTouch.

one of the coolest on-the-go features is the iLearning Center, which features the Line by Line audio and content questions, etc...
but since i don't have an iPhone/iTouch, i couldn't tell you if they work.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
mastersjn
New in Town

Postby mastersjn » March 2nd, 2008 8:20 am

thanks for the reply, I'll check into the links.

While the iphone does not have a center button, the beauty is it is a touch screen. So when the lesson starts to play, just tapping the screen brings up the text of the lesson (kanji, katakana and romanji). It looks much better than my video classic.

Viewing pdfs, I assume I need to navigate to the site, I don't think I can drag a pdf onto the iphone like I did with my classic . This is the part that is maybe flawed, because I need to be online to review this part. If someone knows how to drag it on, I';d like to know

If I cant load the pdf, I assume the on the go doesn't work, hence me asking for the web app instead.

Jeff

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 2nd, 2008 6:42 pm

Having an iPhone/iPT friendly version of the site would certainly be nice. But you should know that until they add Flash support to them, most of the more interesting features of the Learning Center wouldn't work without having to be completely rewritten.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » March 2nd, 2008 6:58 pm

The questions do work on the Iphone / Ipod Touch, as do the flashcards. It's the audio features (line-by-line and pronunciation practice) that do not work.
Last edited by プチクレア on March 12th, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
さっぱり分からない !...

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 11th, 2008 11:30 pm

The iPhone/iPT SDK was released just last week. We'll be exploring interesting ways to use Web Apps and native apps to better bring jpod101 (and other *pod101) content to those of you who have one. We just started looking into this, so I can't give you anymore details on this yet.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Feature Requests”