a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Speaking up for kawaiisou Peter

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

lazysunday
Been Around a Bit

Speaking up for kawaiisou Peter

Postby lazysunday » January 28th, 2008 7:20 pm

After today's newsletter I have to speak up about Peter.

Frankly I love Peter's lessons.

Sometimes he's corny and he needs editing but I don't learn as well from the other instructors, including your competitors podcasts. Some instructors are too high energy or too serious. I listened to the entire survival series from your survival phrases website with almost zero retention, but I am always using words I learned from Peter's corny stories. He makes listeners feel relaxed like we are listening to friends conversing which makes the lessons so much easier to digest and remember.

If you must add new teachers make sure they learn from him that lessons should be fun and not a forced march of requirements.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » January 28th, 2008 11:11 pm

i agree. it it wasn't for peter, then jpod wouldn't be what it was today.
when i started listening, it was oeter who made it interesting and fun to listen to and made me keep coming back. maybe its something about his particular method and because he doesn;t take things to seriously.

He makes listeners feel relaxed like we are listening to friends conversing which makes the lessons so much easier to digest and remember.

absolutely. if the lessons are fun and enjoyable then i'll learn something.

maybe we're in the marky star era now, ohhh yeaahh! :wink:
i mean with all the new intros and stuff hehe
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Get 40% OFF
tori_ningen_fan
New in Town

Postby tori_ningen_fan » January 28th, 2008 11:22 pm

はい!そうですよ!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Speaking up for kawaiisou Peter

Postby Ulver_684 » January 28th, 2008 11:25 pm

lazysunday wrote:After today's newsletter I have to speak up about Peter.

Frankly I love Peter's lessons.

Sometimes he's corny and he needs editing but I don't learn as well from the other instructors, including your competitors podcasts. Some instructors are too high energy or too serious. I listened to the entire survival series from your survival phrases website with almost zero retention, but I am always using words I learned from Peter's corny stories. He makes listeners feel relaxed like we are listening to friends conversing which makes the lessons so much easier to digest and remember.

If you must add new teachers make sure they learn from him that lessons should be fun and not a forced march of requirements.

LazySunday-san! :wink:

I :kokoro: Peter-san humor, personality, etc, he is in my flaming moe list too! :D

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 30th, 2008 9:50 pm

I agree, too. Although a lot of his jokes are just plain terrible, it's the reactions from the girls that make them priceless, especially when they don't even realise he's attempting a joke :lol: if you listen to the lessons from the start, none of them had a clue how to react. Sakura and Naomi caught on and started making comebacks, but Natsuko is too polite and somehow manages to humour him :lol:

On a more relevant-to-learning-Japanese note, I definitely agree that it makes the lessons more effective. I have some serious concentration issues, but it rarely ever feels like studying at all listening to the podcasts and reading through the PDF's. Peter probably had a big part in the stupidness of the dialogues in the early days (swimming with sharks when wasted, etc), which will probably go down in history as some of the best language-learning audio lessons ever produced :lol:

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 31st, 2008 2:10 am

Peter's flat jokes, and his non-stop giggling is something we can all learn from. It's actually a very effective way of learning. - If you notice, at the end of most jokes he asks someone "so how would you say that in Japanese", or maybe he tries saying something himself and ends up with "can we say that in Japanese? xxxx? Does that makes sense?"

It's my guess that he doesn't stop that when he leaves the studio; I'm sure that he does that in his daily life. It's probably why he's gotten so good at Japanese. - He's always having fun, but always stops joking long enough to find out how to say something in Japanese.

masshigura
New in Town

Postby masshigura » January 31st, 2008 5:41 am

i subscribed to this site recently, so I'm still going through all the old ones to catch up. I like Peter's lessons a lot. Exactly how much are they cutting back on his lessons? Are they down to zero? I don't even know who the current teachers are because I'm trying to catch up haha.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 31st, 2008 12:35 pm

When I first started listening I was annoyed by Peter and his incessant stream of "very, very nice," however the more I listened the more I came to enjoy the casual, comfortable atmosphere he brings to the podcasts. I also find it amazing how he is able to pretend to understand nothing for the benefit of the learner (considering how quickly he reacts to the banter in Japanese, he clearly knows more than he lets on), asking questions about even simple words and constructions from that perspective. He never misses a beat when it comes to asking for examples or clarification, addressing points in pronunciation or structure that might be confusing to beginners.

So, much as it might pain me to admit it, he's a good teacher and host. I haven't caught up to the most recent lessons, but so long as English is present it would be a shame to lose the guy.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » January 31st, 2008 9:32 pm

I have to say that lessons that he does not teach are not as fun for me. No offense to the other teachers, but I like Peter's style. I like how he directs the lessons.

If you compare the current lessons to the older ones, you notice how much more comfortable all the hosts have become over the years. They're all really good at what they do now. The chemistry is there between them, and it makes the lessons very enjoyable.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 1st, 2008 4:34 pm

I really have trouble imagining Jpod lessons without Peter先生. No offense to Rebeccaさん,she just hasn't been around long enough, and people are bound to compare. I guess Peter先生's hands are just too full with both Jpod and Epod.

But he should by no means go !!!

Peter先生、JPod101の忠実な聴取者を捨てないでください!!! :cry:
さっぱり分からない !...

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 1st, 2008 6:31 pm

peter's not going anywhere :lol:

newbie lessons have rebekah now, and yeah, they have a different feel. but i think she'll get the hang of it.
the honest truth is, if you listen to her japanese, she's phenomenal!
i'm gonna try my best to drag her into the forum so she can interact with you guys.

by the way, do you know that she can read classical japanese and 2 old systems of japanese writing that are not in use today? (if you thought modern japanese was a difficult writing system.... well, all i can say is RESPECT!)

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 1st, 2008 10:00 pm

markystar wrote:the honest truth is, if you listen to her japanese, she's phenomenal!
i'm gonna try my best to drag her into the forum so she can interact with you guys.

by the way, do you know that she can read classical japanese and 2 old systems of japanese writing that are not in use today? (if you thought modern japanese was a difficult writing system.... well, all i can say is RESPECT!)

RESPECT (and a tinge of jealousy) indeed. Since all (or most) of us have a huge gap between listening comprehension and spoken ability, I would really like to hear from her how, when, where, and for how long she studied to close that gap to where she is today. I'm also really curious about what those writings systems are!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 5th, 2008 8:17 am

WOW ! :shock:

In that case...could we have some classical japanese lessons :?

please... pretty please...頼みます。。。

though maybe not in the newbie serie 8)
さっぱり分からない !...

elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » February 12th, 2008 6:01 am

I think Peter is awesome

I just can't imagine the lessons without him :D

Nickorific22
New in Town

hello

Postby Nickorific22 » February 13th, 2008 12:43 am

hello to all of you fellow japanesepod101.com listeners. I am new to the forum. I think Peter is awesome! And so funny. I love the way he teaches Japanese, and that's one of the reasons why I am now addicted to japanesepod101.com keep up the good work, Peter, and everyone else on the staff

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”