Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

If you get the PDFs, do you print them out?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

If you get the PDFs, do you print them out?

Postby untmdsprt » May 28th, 2007 2:15 pm

Has anyone printed out the PDFs or do you just view them on the screen? I've printed out some of the PDFs myself so I don't have to be at the computer all the time. I believe I will only print out the kanji closeup sheets from now on.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 28th, 2007 9:54 pm

I bought a printer last week specifically for this purpose :lol: I just print the lesson notes and organise them in a binder. I hate reading on the PC, I don't understand people who pay for eBooks; I like my eyes :shock:

Get 40% OFF
AdmiralAK
Been Around a Bit

Postby AdmiralAK » May 29th, 2007 3:38 pm

This isn't specifically for japanesepod PDFs but: a couple of years ago, I had a class (marketing) where it was cheaper (by $30) to buy the electronic version of the textbook rather than the paper version.

I printed the whole thing out and bound it. PDFs are great for searching for specific information quickly - especially if you have spotlight on the mac, or if you have google on XP or microsoft vista where you can search within PDFs :wink:

When it comes to learning it has been proven, by a number of studies, that it is very beneficial to highlight, take notes, and record information on paper - thus learning is more effective - not to mention that you do not need to be anchored to a computer all the time :D

I definitely recommend printing them out and taking notes :D
-----------------------------------------
Club-Admiralty
Copyright 1996-Present
http://www.club-admiralty.com

MexicanHat
New in Town

Postby MexicanHat » May 29th, 2007 11:16 pm

Not at the moment but I do occasionally read them. I mainly use Jpod101 to practice my listening. I have a textbook for reading and after finishing the textbook I will then go back and read all the transcripts.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 30th, 2007 12:45 am

AdmiralAK wrote:When it comes to learning it has been proven, by a number of studies, that it is very beneficial to highlight, take notes, and record information on paper - thus learning is more effective - not to mention that you do not need to be anchored to a computer all the time :D

I have printed most of mine out, and have paid for a 1 month subscription to get everything else. I may keep the subscription and print the missing pages. You're right, nothing like studying in bed the old fashion way with pen (pencil) and paper.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » June 1st, 2007 9:01 am

I guess I'm the voice of dissent!

I've never printed anything out. If I need to take something away from the computer, I make a little jpg (I think they are similar to what you get in the iPod learning centre) and send it to my phone.

Although I don't take notes with a pen and paper, I do kinda 'write' things down for myself.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 28th, 2007 12:52 am

untmdsprt wrote:
AdmiralAK wrote:When it comes to learning it has been proven, by a number of studies, that it is very beneficial to highlight, take notes, and record information on paper - thus learning is more effective - not to mention that you do not need to be anchored to a computer all the time :D

I have printed most of mine out, and have paid for a 1 month subscription to get everything else. I may keep the subscription and print the missing pages. You're right, nothing like studying in bed the old fashion way with pen (pencil) and paper.

untmdsprt-san! :wink:

I definitive agree, I do the same too! 8) :wink:

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » July 6th, 2007 8:58 pm

I print them out at random, depending on if I will use it, or not, and throw them in a binder.

Suggestion for the new store -
3-4 inch 3-ring binders pre-loaded with printouts of the last month of PDFs, and tabs to seperate the different categories of lessons. This size would allow for plenty of room for growth for printing your own pdfs with a subscription.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 16th, 2007 8:08 pm

kc8ufv wrote:I print them out at random, depending on if I will use it, or not, and throw them in a binder.

Suggestion for the new store -
3-4 inch 3-ring binders pre-loaded with printouts of the last month of PDFs, and tabs to seperate the different categories of lessons. This size would allow for plenty of room for growth for printing your own pdfs with a subscription.

kc8ufv-san! :wink:

Excellent idea, I'll buy that binder too. 8) :twisted:

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » February 3rd, 2008 4:22 am

I print some of them out, if the lesson is a particularly good one.
Three binders work well for storage

I do not print out the front page, as this doesn't have useful info on it - you don't really need an index.
I shift the top and bottom margins down about 15 mm so that the number of the left hand side of the page doesn't get a hole punched though it.
I wish the gag text was on a separate page to make it easier not to print out.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » February 3rd, 2008 8:32 am

I used to print them, but they actually take a lot of space, and I found out I almost never looked at them.

However I agree that taking notes is very important. What I do is write every lesson, vocabulary and grammar down, so that now I have a note book with all the grammar, and another one with the lessons. I do that every day.

That way I have a grammar reference I can carry with me and check if I need some explanations, and writing the lessons down help me remember the kanjis. Ever found yourself recognizing a kanji in a book, picking it up correctly on your computer when writing e-mails or such, and unable to write it ?
さっぱり分からない !...

emay
New in Town

Postby emay » May 30th, 2008 12:00 pm

I print them at work when my boss is not around :D

Aristy
New in Town

Postby Aristy » May 30th, 2008 1:19 pm

emay wrote:I print them at work when my boss is not around :D

GENIUS!! :twisted:

emay
New in Town

Postby emay » May 30th, 2008 8:04 pm

Aristy wrote:
emay wrote:I print them at work when my boss is not around :D

GENIUS!! :twisted:

I know, riiiiight? :wink:

She's not around much these days so I have boku opportunity and my own printer. I'm the only one actually who has their own printer. It's kind of nice. Still, I think even with a shared printer, I'd risk it.

SywenArk
Been Around a Bit

Postby SywenArk » July 17th, 2008 1:56 pm

I am folowing beginners season #1. I can do about 30 lessons per month, so every month I print 20 lessons and then I bind them together. I also made a very nice cover by using Publisher, where I write the index. I have just printed 61-80. :D

I really need to print them. Also, I can bring them with me and read them every moment I want to. ^___^

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”