Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

About Your Gravatar!^^

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Do you like the new Gravatar feature to be on your posts?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 12

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

About Your Gravatar!^^

Postby Ulver_684 » December 9th, 2007 8:24 pm

Mina-san! :wink:

What does your gravatar means? I seen some very nice ones and some odd/weird ones too so explain to us, why did you chose that image has your gravatar? What does it represents? :rock: :cool: :flower:

My gravatar is a Wolf evolving and it's in honor to the Norwegian band Ulver and it represent all a wolf is/does, I also helping prevent their extention by humans! :shock:
Please support the perservation society buy a T-shirt on Ulver website, no more deads to wolfs! :shouganai: :cry:

http://myspace.com/Ulver1 :kokoro:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/U ... lver-1.jpg :kokoro:

:suki: :picket:

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 10th, 2007 5:31 pm

I don't tie any special meaning to my gravitar, but I do like having a consistent avitar across forums. That is the same avitar I use over at thejapanesepage.com

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 13th, 2007 2:13 am

kc8ufv wrote:I don't tie any special meaning to my gravitar, but I do like having a consistent avitar across forums. That is the same avitar I use over at thejapanesepage.com

Kc8ufv-san! :wink:

Your gravatar is a anime character so from what anime/manga is? because it
seems familiar to me. 8)

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 13th, 2007 3:46 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:I don't tie any special meaning to my gravitar, but I do like having a consistent avitar across forums. That is the same avitar I use over at thejapanesepage.com

Kc8ufv-san! :wink:

Your gravatar is a anime character so from what anime/manga is? because it
seems familiar to me. 8)

That's the main charecter from 魔法先生ネギま! ネギ・スパリングフィルドです。

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » December 13th, 2007 4:07 pm

Mine the family crest of the Tokugawa family. They were the shogunal family that ruled Japan from 1600-1868, awww yeah.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 13th, 2007 5:01 pm

If there weren't the 80x80px limit here, (or 100x100px limit over at tjp) I might consider my family crest. Unfortunately, there isn't enough detail in that small of a size for it.

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » December 13th, 2007 6:29 pm

kc8ufv (Sorry I don't know your name, but I know your kc8ufv), what's your family crest look like? I'm an American from a small town and my family doesn't have a great history, so I never had a family crest.

Marky Star, pardon my ignorance, but what is a Shogunal?

Sindy, it's so great that you want to protect wolves! I love animals!
But why do you love wolves so much? ちょっと怖いですね!

My gravitar is stupid. I just took a picture of myself and put my Japanesepod name on it. I want to change it because no one else is using their own picture so I feel like a retard.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 13th, 2007 7:31 pm

kitty-chanさん

My name is Christopher Hart. (as you'll see in most of the lesson comments here and at ep101)
Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it's the Irish or English crest. I remember the red and gold. If I remember to, I'll edit later. I have a copy of the crest at home.

Edit1: I didn't look at home yet to see which is the correct one, but most family crests from Europe will have a similar layout, and general appearance, typically with a helmet above a shield, with a two colored leafy pattern to the sides.

Edit 2: I just checked. For my family, it's the Irish one.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » December 17th, 2007 1:43 am

wow... i wished i had a family crest... =(

maybe i should start with my generation.. and see how long it goes down the line... =D

but then it would defeat the purpose of a family crest.. it looks like it was used during some warring period where families would sent their sons or something, and they would put on their family crest to signify that this family had a hand in a particular war or something...
- まもる
くろくておおきくてかたくてひかててくさくてきみおなこえがあげるせぶつ。

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 17th, 2007 3:30 am

jemstone wrote:wow... i wished i had a family crest... =(

maybe i should start with my generation.. and see how long it goes down the line... =D

but then it would defeat the purpose of a family crest.. it looks like it was used during some warring period where families would sent their sons or something, and they would put on their family crest to signify that this family had a hand in a particular war or something...

If you do some genealogy research, you might find that you already have one. For this, it may be best to talk to your oldest living relatives (great grandparents??) for their parent's names, and birthplaces. For finding the family crest, following the male line would be most important. (IE follow your father's father's ... father to his country of origin) Also, some simple web searches can turn up possibilities for the family crest. Keep in mind that INS may have caused a name to be changed, especially if your name is a very common one.

Also, yes, it is something quite old. A quick search tells me that most family crests date back to the 8th or 9th century. Also results in a link with meanings to the various components of it.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » December 17th, 2007 6:30 am

i think it's highly unlikely that i have a family crest... see, my grandfather came from shanghai, china. and he doesn't walk the earth anymore. i'm not sure if families from china had crests in ancient days...
- まもる
くろくておおきくてかたくてひかててくさくてきみおなこえがあげるせぶつ。

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 17th, 2007 9:39 pm

jemstone wrote:i think it's highly unlikely that i have a family crest... see, my grandfather came from shanghai, china. and he doesn't walk the earth anymore. i'm not sure if families from china had crests in ancient days...

If you do have one, it'd be a totally different style than mine...

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » December 18th, 2007 10:00 am

kitty-chan wrote:But why do you love wolves so much? ちょっと怖いですね!

Wolves are a very beautiful but misunderstood animal. American Indians consider them "brothers" and do everything they can to protect the wolf.

What exactly is this gravitar thing? I've been away from the forums that I have no idea what you're talking about. :(

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 18th, 2007 5:10 pm

untmdsprt wrote:
kitty-chan wrote:But why do you love wolves so much? ちょっと怖いですね!

Wolves are a very beautiful but misunderstood animal. American Indians consider them "brothers" and do everything they can to protect the wolf.

What exactly is this gravitar thing? I've been away from the forums that I have no idea what you're talking about. :(

Pick a lesson, any lesson. Look at the comments. You'll see avitars next to each post. That's the gravitar.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 19th, 2007 10:45 pm

Mina-san! :wink:

Thank you for your reply's, you know that the curiosity killed the cat! :lol:
*just kidding*

I like wolfs because they so sweet and hungry, they don't desever to be kill so I support them. 8)

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”