Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Erklaren Innovative Language Sites Faithful Members!^^

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

What other languages sites would you like Erklaren to release in the future?

Arabic
2%
Chinese
36%
French
7%
German
11%
Italian
9%
Jewish
9%
Portuguese
16%
Norwegian
11%

Total votes: 45

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » December 10th, 2007 12:36 pm

Why not add all the Native American languages? I had been learning Cherokee, and would like to keep all these original languages alive if possible!

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » December 10th, 2007 5:33 pm

Is the distinction between "Hebrew" and "Jewish" purely one made in English? From my perspective, Hebrew and Judaism/Jewish-ism are one and the same... I'll freely admit that there is no actual basis for this view though.

つまり、Is the distinction between "Jewish (language)" and "Hebrew" moot? Are they not the same?

(Maybe this would be of interest to Englishpod listeners!)

Get 40% OFF
kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 10th, 2007 5:40 pm

maxiewawa wrote:Is the distinction between "Hebrew" and "Jewish" purely one made in English? From my perspective, Hebrew and Judaism/Jewish-ism are one and the same... I'll freely admit that there is no actual basis for this view though.

つまり、Is the distinction between "Jewish (language)" and "Hebrew" moot? Are they not the same?

(Maybe this would be of interest to Englishpod listeners!)

In English, there are many languages that have a significantly different name from from their nation or region of origin. Typically these are languages that are used by many nations, have historical significance, or from areas with multiple languages.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » December 11th, 2007 6:42 am

maxiewawa wrote:Is the distinction between "Hebrew" and "Jewish" purely one made in English?

It depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about people, then Hebrew and Jewish mean the same thing. If you're talking about language, then only Hebrew is correct. There is no language named "Jewish." So you could say "Hebrew is the Jewish language" but you couldn't say "Jewish is the Hebrew language" because "Jewish" is not the name of a language.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » December 11th, 2007 7:07 am

Indeed, Yiddish, Aramaic, and a number of other less well-known languages and dialects are also closely associated with Judaism. The Talmud, for example, is written in Aramaic. Yiddish was spoken by the majority of Jews up until the Holocaust. It's only relatively recently that Hebrew has become so important as a spoken language.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » December 11th, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks Shaydwrym, that's what I was wondering... in my mind Hebrew language = Jewish language, but I guess there's more than one "Jewish" (language).

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 11th, 2007 10:02 pm

maxiewawa wrote:Thanks Shaydwrym, that's what I was wondering... in my mind Hebrew language = Jewish language, but I guess there's more than one "Jewish" (language).

Maxiewawa-san! :wink:

Thank you, I will teach all Spanish listeners Mexican Spanish. 8)

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » December 11th, 2007 10:59 pm

iMuchos Gracias!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » December 13th, 2007 2:05 am

maxiewawa wrote:iMuchos Gracias!

Maxiewawa-san guey! :wink:

It is muchas gracias not muchos because you are like saying too much thank you. :shock:

Your welcome is de nada, no es nada, esta bien! :D

lolillo
Been Around a Bit

Postby lolillo » December 13th, 2007 8:33 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:
maxiewawa wrote:iMuchos Gracias!

Maxiewawa-san guey! :wink:

It is muchas gracias not muchos because you are like saying too much thank you. :shock:

"Mucho" (masculine, singular), "mucha" (feminine, singular) mean "much".

"Muchos (masculine, plural), "muchas" (feminine, plural) mean "many".

Since "gracia" is feminine, there must be a correlation between the two words, both in feminine, therefore "muchas gracias" ("many thanks"). (As opposed, for example, to "muchos chicos" - "a lot of boys"). :)

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » December 16th, 2007 1:03 am

Thank you Ulver-san ^^ I hope y'all will like the Swedish Survival Phrases. Btw, why would we wanna learn Norwegian when we have Swedish? Haha 8) Just kidding...

Btw, I recently went to englishpod101.com and was suprised that it was up and running. Why has it been so little info about this?

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 16th, 2007 4:52 am

JockZon wrote:Thank you Ulver-san ^^ I hope y'all will like the Swedish Survival Phrases. Btw, why would we wanna learn Norwegian when we have Swedish? Haha 8) Just kidding...

Btw, I recently went to englishpod101.com and was suprised that it was up and running. Why has it been so little info about this?

JZさん
There was a newscast here on Sat 12/1 (I remember which day because I listened to that newscast after getting Kaori Momoi's autograph - she was invited here by UofM) before EP101 opened. I recognize several people from the JP101 community over there. It looks like word may be starting to reach their target audience, as I am starting to see some unfamiliar "faces" over there.
Last edited by kc8ufv on December 16th, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » December 16th, 2007 1:03 pm

Oh I see, well I've missed alot since I haven't been following JPOD regularly.

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » December 16th, 2007 2:26 pm

Kaori Momoi?

At first i thought it was the same person as DJ Momoi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4xr6EcjSc

But i guess it's not... LOL

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » December 16th, 2007 5:05 pm

Kaori Momoi
I am referencing the Actress/Director