Or sign up using Facebook

Jquicktrans - Dictionary and Study Aid

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Jquicktrans - Dictionary and Study Aid

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 1:49 am

http://www.coolest.com/jquicktrans/

Jquicktrans is a wonderful Japanese dictionary and study aid program for Windows. It's also cheap at only US$10 (one of my favorite features :mrgreen:). I've never actually used the study aid part of the program, so I can't comment on that. But I love the dictionary. I espeically like the search flexibility. You can use a ? to match any single character and * to many any number of any character. For example, doing a search with 食? will give you all the results that start with 食 and are followed by exactly 1 character. Doing a search with 食* will give you all the words that start with 食.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » April 25th, 2006 12:46 pm

This looks like a pretty cool dictionary. Thanks, Jason!

Nicole

Get 40% OFF
Brugg
Been Around a Bit

Postby Brugg » April 25th, 2006 2:44 pm

jQuicktrans is probably the most useful japanese dictionary program I've come across. The ability to type in any word, not having to switch between english, japanese, kana, kanji and romaji input makes it efficient (run app, paste, enter!). And you still have more advanced options, like Jason pointed out. I also like the way it presents the individual kanji from compounds. And last, but not least; there's a shareware version, that still includes all the features i use.

Jason

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 4:27 pm

One thing I've found ? really useful for is if I can make some of the kanji in a word or phrase but for some reason can't make out others, I can usually find the word by putting in the kanji I can make out and putting ? for the ones I can't. I've found this especially useful when friends ask me to translate something in a picture they found on the internet. If the picture is small and there're complex kanji in it, it can make it nearly impossible to make out some kanji (my laptop's native resolution being 1900x1200 doesn't help much on that either...). It can also be faster than trying to use the handwriting recognition part of the IME even if you can make out the kanji but just don't know how it's read.
Jason

premium
New in Town

Re: Jquicktrans - Dictionary and Study Aid

Postby premium » April 25th, 2006 4:29 pm

Jason wrote:But I love the dictionary. I espeically like the search flexibility. You can use a ? to match any single character and * to many any number of any character. For example, doing a search with 食? will give you all the results that start with 食 and are followed by exactly 1 character. Doing a search with 食* will give you all the words that start with 食.

A great system indeed and I'll make sure you have this functionality in our online dictionary as well within the near future :wink:

Jason

Postby Jason » April 25th, 2006 4:41 pm

How about full regular expression support.

>.>
<.<

:wink:

BTW, you're not limited to just one ? per search. ? just means any one character. You can also do something like 食?? to find all the words that start with 食 and are followed by exactly 2 characters. Or something like ?日本?.
Jason

davidhallgren

Postby davidhallgren » April 26th, 2006 2:09 am

Jason wrote:How about full regular expression support.

OK, I'll see what I can do!
(Sorry, I happened to post with the wrong user yesterday)

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”