a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Recommend a Podcast

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Recommend a Podcast

Postby Javizy » September 29th, 2007 11:57 pm

Other than the obvious, what Japanese podcasts do people listen to? I find it useful to listen to as much Japanese as possible, even if I can't understand it all. I only just downloaded iTunes, but I have come across a couple of good ones.

First is one called こどもと英語で話そう! It's a bilingual one aimed at Japanese parents teaching their children to speak English. Everything said in English is translated into Japanese by a woman with a very cute voice. The phrases they introduce in English are basic but well used, so it's useful to hear the Japanese translations. There is also conversation between the hosts, which again is translated. I'd say it's good listening practice for people trying to break into lower intermediate.

Second, is one called 日常英会話 from station81.com (the link from iTunes doesn't work, but if you do a search for this title, it will come up). It's a video podcast that aims to teach Japanese people English, but it's not 100% serious. They have a short clip of an American talking, usually part of some homeless person's rant, and a Japanese woman with a very nice announcer's voice explains a few key points, such as the various uses of 'f**ked up'. The way they show the examples is really funny, and you can pick up some good casual speech from the Japanese translation. I highly recommend this, if only for entertainment value, but beware of the bad language.

So what podcasts or other Japanese listening materials do people recommend?

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » October 2nd, 2007 2:13 pm

I try watching the newscasts at news.tbs.co.jp at least once a week.

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » October 19th, 2007 2:14 pm

Javizy-san! :wink:

Happy Halloween! 8)

Trick or Treat everyone! :D

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » October 21st, 2007 2:28 pm

日常英会話 sounds hilarious!! i wanna check that out!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

ar1257
New in Town

Postby ar1257 » October 22nd, 2007 2:37 am

Thanks for the tip on 日常英会話. I wonder if it's anything like those weird Japanese exercise videos in which women chant phrases in English ("I was robbed by two men!" "Take anything you want!"). Apparently the series is called "Let's Zuiikin English."

A clip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0W1VY4b9IQQ
ロバーツ

I'm a robot. Bleep, blorp.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » October 22nd, 2007 3:17 am

that youtube clip was really really funny!! aahahahaha! i can't imagine this being shown on national tv (if it's being shown)... like a cross with aerobics and really really survival phrases ("take anything you want"... "spare me my life"... and then "i was robbed by two men") aahhaahha!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 22nd, 2007 2:14 pm

hahaha, the aerobics looked like the beginnings of para-para, the music just needed speeding up a bit :lol:

By the way, another podcast from station81.com is Marimo's English. They introduce an English word that you wouldn't hear used on jpod, and then discuss (in casual Japanese) what it means and how it's different in Japan. You gain some cultural insight, such as how Western trends of taming certain regions of hair haven't caught on in Japan yet. I find it useful because it's just uninhibited casual conversation, and I picked up some vocabulary that I doubt will ever be covered in a jpod lesson :lol: As with the other one, discretion is advised, although if you're still a beginner you probably won't realise it :lol:

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”