a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Letters From Iwo Jima

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Liz21
Expert on Something

Letters From Iwo Jima

Postby Liz21 » January 26th, 2007 1:43 am

Hi! I just came home from seeing this movie. It was excellent as a war movie. It made me think about our troops in Iraq. I enjoyed being able to understand more Japanese language than usual. Of course, the sub-titles help! I couldn't do without those. It's very interesting that a language in Japanese has been nominated for Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, etc.

I would love to hear what others thought about this movie.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 30th, 2007 12:50 am

Thoughts? I want to see it! Maybe the oscar nominations will finally get it a wide release...

Not so sure about the language, though... the idea of enduring through 1940s military-style Japanese is a wee bit intimidating. Maybe it isn't as hard as some of those Samurai dramas.

Get 40% OFF
TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Postby TheNationalPool » July 8th, 2007 1:42 pm

I thought it was really good. It was interesting to see the different politeness levels between the ranks of military. Very good movie.
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

attwad
Been Around a Bit

Postby attwad » July 9th, 2007 8:04 am

Yeah I liked it too! I've sseen this movie in a very small theatre (about 20 seats or so...) which is in a cave, I got the feeling to be in the caverns with them sometimes ;) More seriously I was stunned when the movie finished... and I wasn't alone... everybody stayed in their seats at the end and didn't say a word... just watching the black screen... I didn't see "flags of our fathers" (which is for those who didn't know the same movie as Iwo Jima but from the American point of view while Iwo Jima is from the Japanese point of view) but still after watching this movie I'd appreciate seeing the other side of the battle...
Anyway go see this movie if you haven't yet!

Lostaholic
Been Around a Bit

Postby Lostaholic » September 17th, 2007 9:37 pm

I seen them both, the american side of the story and the japanese side.
I likes them both, but Letters from iwo jime somehow made a far greater impact on me, good job clint eastwood!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”