Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

recommend an anime series?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 21st, 2007 10:57 pm

barrot4ever wrote:i recommend bleach, higurashi no naku koro ni, mushishi, eureka seven, there are so many, but these are award wining anime, check this out, http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewtopic.php?t=19995

Thank you for the link Barrio-san! 8) :wink:

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » June 3rd, 2007 1:09 am

Try "Excel Saga" for inspired anime madness - it pokes fun at absolutely everything, including itself. ( The challenge is to work out what other animes and genres it is parodying )

Warning - adult content, and some very outrageously offensive material. If you appreciate the humour in South Park, and you like anime, you are going to --love-- this !!!

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 3rd, 2007 5:51 pm

I have Fullmetal Alchemist (my fav!) Escaflowne, Perfect Blue, Akira, Appleseed, and Rahxephon. I have a few Initial D DVDs, and it looks promising. Wolf's Rain also looks promising.

The ones I've found extremely boring are Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, and Sailor Moon. The first two I have no clue of why anyone would like it, and Sailor Moon looks like it would appeal to either men or lesbians.

Hmm, I'll have to find the Excel Saga series. Sounds like the humor in "Family Guy" or "American Dad" on American TV.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 5th, 2007 5:02 pm

My tastes may be a bit more lighthearted than what you're looking for, but my recommendations are here. And a few additions, mostly series that are running now.

-Paranoia Agent. Definite must-see
-Hidamari Sketch. It may not be "mature" enough for you, but I loved it.
-Darker than Black
-El Cazador
-Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight
-Code Geass
-Nodame Cantible
-Hayate no Gotoku
-Touka Gettan. Confusing but awesome. Gorgeous art and character design
-Nagasarete Airantou
-School Rumble and SR: NIgakki
-Seto no Hanayome. Mermaid yakuzas. Hilarity ensues
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

weatherbey
New in Town

Postby weatherbey » June 22nd, 2007 9:57 pm

I love Deathnote! i would definitely recommend it. The deathnote movie is good aswell (well deathnote 2 is good but one i though was not so good)

Also bleach and fullmetal alchemist are good

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 24th, 2007 11:57 pm

ShiroiNeko wrote:Try "Excel Saga" for inspired anime madness - it pokes fun at absolutely everything, including itself. ( The challenge is to work out what other animes and genres it is parodying )

Warning - adult content, and some very outrageously offensive material. If you appreciate the humour in South Park, and you like anime, you are going to --love-- this !!!

You weren't kidding!!! I've seen some references already to other shows. Music from the rock group the Doors?!?

HeyItsBryan
New in Town

Postby HeyItsBryan » June 27th, 2007 2:28 am

Did anyone mention Great Teacher Onizuka?

It is such an awesome anime. I think it was originally a live-action series, though. If you've ever seen Golden Boy, it's a lot like that... this dude basically touches people's lives through very, well, unconventional teaching methods.

It's the perfect mix of comedy, action and drama. I think it's one of the few anime that, if re-done for a live-action English adaptation, would be very successful among all demographics here in the States. It's a great show.

I also recommend: FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Trigun and Big O (which is eerily similar to Batman).

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » July 5th, 2007 7:32 am

untmdsprt wrote:
ShiroiNeko wrote:Try "Excel Saga" for inspired anime madness - it pokes fun at absolutely everything, including itself. ( The challenge is to work out what other animes and genres it is parodying )

You weren't kidding!!! I've seen some references already to other shows. Music from the rock group the Doors?!?

Glad you like it !!
I believe the last episode was so offensive it could not be shown on Japanese television.

MrStillwater
New in Town

Anime

Postby MrStillwater » July 15th, 2007 8:42 pm

Hmmm, nobody's mentioned Evangelion?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 24th, 2007 2:17 am

Another vote for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (official English title: When they Cry) and the new season, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, though.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

metal_lloyd
New in Town

Postby metal_lloyd » July 31st, 2007 6:19 pm

+1 for Ghost in the Shell series. Particularly the 2nd Gig series and the Solid State Society movie.

skarlet
New in Town

Postby skarlet » August 16th, 2007 6:22 am

I love love love Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist. I'm currently watching One Piece and I'm liking it. For "light" anime, you can watch Genshiken and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 16th, 2007 9:48 am

I love Great Teacher Onizuka, because it's funny and it's real. I mean, sometimes one could get tired of all the magic and odd fantasies created in anime but GTO is real and mature but funny, very funny. I also recommend the live action.

GTO is about a guy whose goal suddenly is to be the greatest teacher in the world. In fact he is a horny and former gang leader or something like that who knows karate. At first he is only taking the job to sleep with high school girls, but then he notice all the problems the students have and helps them. 8) コールだよね

I need to rewatch it :lol:

nilfisq
Been Around a Bit

Postby nilfisq » August 16th, 2007 10:15 am

i also like GTO! almost finished all 42 episodes and also watched two episodes of the live action (i.e. the version with real actors), which is quite good, to my surprise! besides it gives a nice impression of japanese school life (the uniforms, ways of addressing teachers/students etc.).

shungen
Been Around a Bit

Postby shungen » August 21st, 2007 6:39 am

I will recommend...

ムシウタ
撲殺天使ドコロちゃん
Devil May Cry
D. Gray Man
Fate/ Stay Night
Blood+
Engage Planet キスダム
地獄少女